iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic pump mounted vertical   ?

Started by WV_hillbilly, January 03, 2004, 05:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

Is it possible to mount a hydraulic pump on a vertical motor?  ???  See last Sunday I locked up my motor on my log spliter. Well today I came across a 18 hp Briggs & Straton vertical motor for hauling it away. It is still in the tractor  . If this will work I will make a bracket to hook the pump to the motor. The tractor didn't have a battery so I jumped it with the truck and it started right up . the only thing wrong with the tractor is they hit a big rock and broke the castings in the mower deck. I don't know if this is possible to mount one this way but there should be someone here that has expertise in this area . The old motor is a horizontal shaft .
Hillbilly

Frank_Pender

I do not see any reason why not.  I have done so myself with a duce and a half winch from a military truck.  I use the winch along with a 3 point grapple system for my Deere 5300. 8)
Frank Pender

Mark M

I've seen splitters like that at Tractor Supply Store and other farm stores. I would be concerned about the bearings and whether or not there would be unusual thrust loads on the shaft and other pump parts since most are made to be mounted horizontally and they don't usually have thrust bearings. If the pump isn't too expensive I would give it a shot.

You might also be able to drive it with a belt and give it a 1/4 twist.

Mark

WV_hillbilly

Mark the only thing I found so far with the pump is that it must be direct coupled.  It doesn't say anything about horizontal or vertical .  I really don't want to risk the pump cause it costs  $250 . I tried to contact the technical dept at the manufacturer but being the weekend I don't expect a reply till next week .
Hillbilly

VA-Sawyer

Yes, it can be mounted vertical. Gravity doesn't count as a thrust load.  Make sure the direction of rotation is correct.

Rick
VA-Sawyer

Stump Jumper

my dad ordered a 2stage pump for log spliter from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. there tech department said not to mount it virtical because the thrust would wreck the pump.so check with manufacture.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Thank You Sponsors!