iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on mixing wood chips for E2300 fuel.

Started by spacedog, March 11, 2010, 05:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacedog

I have been shoveling up all my scap wood chips and bark remnants from my wood pile and burning it in the E-Classic.  This made me wonder about all the wood chips that the tree crews dump and whether wood chips would make good fuel if mixed in with firewood.  Classic makes a burner that does corn husks so why not wood chips?  Anyone try this yet and how did it work?  Thanks

thecfarm

I would have my doubts being it's an "E" model.From what I've been reading on here from all of the "E" owners I don't think it would work good without a lot of babysitting from you.But depends on how much you shovel in too.The wood chips would have to be dry from what I have read on here.If it was designed for it,like the corn husk one you mentioned,that might be different.But it's worth a try,in my eyes.Worst thing,it don't work well.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

renegadecj

I've used wood chips (to dispose of them) in my 2300...I load it with normal wood, then dump 1 barn shovel full on top.  Burns just fine.  Smokes a little more the first time it kicks on, but otherwise, no problem.  The chips tend to spread out, and fall into the coals slowly, so it isn't just a mass of chips.  I would think a full load of chips wouldn't work, no air flow down...

vamntguy

I have burned chips in my hardy and it worked fine. To many at one time might block it up.

renegadecj

I've burned the chips you talk about this way (I burn a lot of scrap wood too)

I load with wood, then place a piece of trash OSB (a lot nearby disposes of tons of scrap each day).  I then shovel a couple of barn shovel's on top.  Works great! 

stonebroke

NYS DEC is proposing a ban on burning OSB and plywood in outdoor boilers.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!