iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Pop!…..Amazing.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 12, 2013, 08:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My Dad is 87. A little over a year ago he had a full knee replacement. It went well.
Monday he went in for the other knee......full replacement.
He said they gave him something to relax him at 9am and he was laying there thinking about a building we are working on. He said he caught himself dozing off and opened his eyes and asked the Nurse how much longer before surgery?
:D She said Mr. Poston.....we gave you a new knee 4 hours ago.  :D :D :D :D

Today is Thursday......my Brother brought him home and my Dad WALKED into the house with a walker.
Well "blow my mind"! To me that's amazing. The Doctors no longer give Folks a knee machine to bring home to move the knee. That kind of upset him....so he asked the Dr. why? The Doc flat out told him......you got a new knee....get your azz up and walk!
He does have plenty of pain killers but they asked him to try not to take them unless he REALLY kneeds them. :)

I'm proud of him! Medical procedures have come a long way.......wonder what it will be like 25 years from now?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Good for him. Look out there POSTON .He'll be needing more lumber to build with. You better get sawing there young fellow to keep up with him.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on December 12, 2013, 08:58:11 PM
Good for him. Look out there POSTON .He'll be needing more lumber to build with. You better get sawing there young fellow to keep up with him.  :D

I told him I'm getting to old!  :D :D :D :D :D

WmFritz

You should be a proud son, David. I give him credit for staying busy and moving forward. My Dad is 76, probably needs a new knee, but won't except it. Makes me mad because he uses the pain for an excuse to remain inactive, which in turn causes other health issues.
( Read weight gain).  He couldn't walk out to his deer blind this fall between the leg pain and shortness of breath.  >:( 
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bill, I hope one day your Dad will reconsider. Its amazing ......no more pain when walking and its just seems to boost an older person's WANT to keep going.

drobertson

Real happy for you, and your Father, my Father is also 87, and after losing his wife for 59 years, a son 9 years ago, a broken hip and an aneurism in the stomach, which was repaired, he is doing quite well. We have lots to learn from the "Ole Timers"  they are a breed cut above the rest in my view,  give your father our best regards, and as a side note, my back surgeon had me stay off the pain killers as well.  Laughing is good medicine for what its worth,  sawmills are too, maybe for now, just the aroma will suffice for your dad,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LaneC

Glad he is doing good. I will never stop admiring gentlemen like that. I hope he goes pain free forever. It is good to hear when folks have a good surgery. God bless.
Man makes plans and God smiles

coxy

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 12, 2013, 08:54:40 PM
My Dad is 87. A little over a year ago he had a full knee replacement. It went well.
Monday he went in for the other knee......full replacement.
He said they gave him something to relax him at 9am and he was laying there thinking about a building we are working on. He said he caught himself dozing off and opened his eyes and asked the Nurse how much longer before surgery?
:D She said Mr. Poston.....we gave you a new knee 4 hours ago.  :D :D :D :D

Today is Thursday......my Brother brought him home and my Dad WALKED into the house with a walker.
Well "blow my mind"! To me that's amazing. The Doctors no longer give Folks a knee machine to bring home to move the knee. That kind of upset him....so he asked the Dr. why? The Doc flat out told him......you got a new knee....get your azz up and walk!
He does have plenty of pain killers but they asked him to try not to take them unless he REALLY kneeds them. :)

I'm proud of him! Medical procedures have come a long way.......wonder what it will be like 25 years from now?
awesome  glad he is doing good  and 25 years from now they might have some sort of a grease fitting in  there from birth :D :D

sawguy21

Keeping active is the best medicine for healing joints. My 80 year old mom had a senior moment, tripped on a curb and destroyed her kneecap. The surgeon told her it was unlikely she would ever walk again even with a walker. He didn't know her.
After a physio session the therapist asked if she had a ride home. It's o.k. I'll walk. WHAAT??? How did you get here? I walked ( 9 blocks). What are you doing here? Well the doctor told me I needed therapy. He shook his head and told her get out of here. You don't need me, you are doing far more for yourself than I ever could. ;D Six months before she passed from cancer she was walking 3 miles a day.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Holmes

Your story put a smile on my face.  :)   Good for your dad and his family, sounds like he will keep you busy. Enjoy... .   25 years from now it may be your turn for the new knee,  ::)  but lets hope not.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

justallan1

I love to hear stories like that. Thanks for sharing it with us and hoping that all stays well with your Pops.

Allan

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Roger2561

In 1993 my dad had one of his hips replaced.  The X-Ray showed bone on bone.  My dad had been walking around with that for so long that it elongated the socket.  He was a tough ol bird.  A day after the surgery the surgeon visited my dad and asked if he was in any pain.  My dad's response was "compared to what I was experiencing before the surgery, this is a mosquito bite".  Dad asked when the doc when he would be able to get on his feet.  Dad hated sitting still.  So, with the assistance of a nurse, they got him to his feet.  He walked to the nurses station and back to his room twice.  They let him go home 2 days later.  A week after the surgery he was walking a mile every day.  He never took any pain meds.  Like I said, a tough ol bird.  Roger
Roger

grweldon

Good deal about your Papa David!  Let us pray we can all do as well!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Bill Gaiche

All I can say is when he gets up you had better jump or he will be picking on you. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on December 13, 2013, 03:51:40 PM
All I can say is when he gets up you had better jump or he will be picking on you. bg

You're right Bill. My Dad and I pick at each other all the time.
Friends have been bringing in food for him today.....and I mean a lot....even though he tells them not to.

I ate lunch with my Dad and had BBQ chicken, field peas, corn and biscuits. As we were eating we got to laughing. :D :D :D
I said....DanG Pop....if we get to eat like this on an old knee....how about a little open heart surgery next time for some Ribeye and Shrimp. :D :D :D :D He said I'll think about it!  :D :D :D :D

Chuck White

Glad to hear your Pop is doing so well Dave!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

David,you're all heart.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 13, 2013, 05:31:01 PM
You're right Bill. My Dad and I pick at each other all the time.
Who'd thunk it! :o ;) ;D :D  I miss my dad's dry (we're talkin Death Valley here ;D) sense of humor and good natured ribbing.

Grats on the new knee! :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

You and your Dad are both very fortunate David, very fortunate indeed.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Your Pop is Amazing.  Thanks for sharing, Post.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

You come from good stock, David. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Stephen1

I really like to hear these things, My mom had a new knee at 84, was dancing 3 months later. Surgeon said he wish he had more patients like my mom.  ;D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: isawlogs on December 14, 2013, 08:08:29 PM
Danny, he was adopted ;D :)

:D :D :D My real parents were from Georgia. We went on vacation to South Carolina when I was 5. When I went into the restroom at the rest stop, I came out and they were gone.

Thank You Sponsors!