iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lowes 2 story shed/barn

Started by bigred1951, September 24, 2012, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

i always have random thoughts and ideas at random times and this is one of them that ive had for a long time. I would like to take one of them 2 story shed/ barns that lowes sells and tunr one into a small house. What i would really like to do is build it myself because i think i could probly build it and maybe even build it a lil bigger then the one they have for the same price or less. So what do you all think about that. It would just be me living there so it would be plenty of room..build on a small bathroom and id be good to go. So give me all your opinions, input, thoughts. feel free

Woodsrover

Radar67

I built a 16 by 24 two story shed for a lot less than the box store wanted. Here is a link to the thread I posted while building mine. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,21598.msg306793.html#msg306793

It has a little over 700 square feet and I could live in it if I were alone.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raider Bill

Quote from: bigred1951 on September 24, 2012, 04:19:08 PM
i always have random thoughts and ideas at random times and this is one of them that ive had for a long time. I would like to take one of them 2 story shed/ barns that lowes sells and tunr one into a small house. What i would really like to do is build it myself because i think i could probly build it and maybe even build it a lil bigger then the one they have for the same price or less. So what do you all think about that. It would just be me living there so it would be plenty of room..build on a small bathroom and id be good to go. So give me all your opinions, input, thoughts. feel free

Do it!  Build it yourself. Radar left you a link. I also know another Guy not on the forum that did the same thing and he lives in his. It's dang nice!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Peder McElroy

I built this place for only the cost of plywood and roofing. (cut all the   lumber with my Woodmizer LT40Hd from our property.400 Sq Ft Studio with Bath and Kitchen.

DouginUtah

You may need to find out about building codes in your area. If they are non-existent you're golden.

Would it be on-grid or off-grid?

I wonder (don't know) about the bathroom aspect of it. Would you put in a septic system, or what other options are to be considered?

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Okrafarmer

In some parts of Kentucky, building codes are non-existant or largely irrelevant, from what I understand. My parents moved to Clarendon County two or three years ago, and were amazed to find that their house was built in 2005 without needing a building permit.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

woodman58

Here is a link to where you can get plans for really small houses.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/epu/
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

downsouth

I did some work for an older couple one time that built exactly what you are talking about.
It was 2 story with living room small kitchen and bathroom downstairs and a bedroom upstairs. It had a small staircase on the back wall (inside) and a porch across the front and back. They used Sheetrock inside and T111 outside for siding. It was very nice.

Peder McElroy thats a fine job.

Tree Feller

There are plans available for small homes/cabins that lend themselves to expansion later. That's what I would consider if I was building a house/cabin for myself. Being able to add on without major re-work would be an attractive plan.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

The fact that you are alone makes it doable  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Satamax

Bigred.

Check "tiny house" on youtube for example.

Link

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Klicker

One of my brothers made a camp using 8x22 box off a truck. To get around our county building code. It is just under the size that needs a building permit. He heats it with in floor hot water from  a wood boiler and runs the pump on solar.
2006 LT 40 HD

bandmiller2

Red 51,why not,only problem is the local regs.Build it well and with an eye twords future expansion.If you have a large lot build it in back,later should you have a wife and kids just build a bigger house and use it for your shop.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Red51 ;) I love the ole trucks myself too Do er up n run around in it  ;) ;D 8) Im getting around in 74 ford truck with a 13'4" tray on it myself these days  ;D 8)

I think afew shela's like it to from the looks n comments but it might be the cab capitan too  sail_smiley ;) :D :D

You seem a smart young bloke that thinks about what he dose  ;) I would not bother with the lowes shed just build it from scratch We are here to help you Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Frank you took the words rite outa My mouth "Why Not"!!!!could not have said it better myself Mate  :) ;) ;D ;D

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

bigred1951

Meadows Miller...yea i need to quit being lazy and get it up and running again. its been sitting in the driveway past year and a half because im broke and cant afford a battery haha but i know throw a battery in her she will fire right up and run like a scalded dog at a neck breaking speed on 45-50 lol. I know it wont be anytime soon that i could be able to even afford to start building this as of right now i have a dollar and some change in my pocket to my name.

Radar67

The key to the equation is this, "You have a plan," and that is all it takes to get started.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Cypressstump

Hey Bigred, check out this site too. http://www.sheldondesigns.com/SheldonDesignsCatalog.pdf

I have a spare set of plans for the cabin 'Wilderness-2" located in this website. It's a 16' wide, 12' deep with a 6' front porch. Simple plans and can be extended to fit your needs fairly. If you are interested, I'll send ya a set.
If nothing else the paper can make good fire fodder.......... ;)

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Satamax

Bigred. You could even build a house scrounging, salvaging materials. It's been done before. Look at permies.com I know the first idea is scruffy hippy bunch. But there's people from all horizons. And as i've said, people there know how to scavenge materials. Classifieds sites are good too. Here, in France, we have "leboncoin" http://www.leboncoin.fr/ which is à bit like craiglist. Only a bit easier to use. Don't know if you have something similar. There's even a site for people wanting to give away stuff they don't need anymore.

You could also do a cob house, which only costs hard labour.

Look at thoses. Link

Some lovely stuff. I can't do one, as the planning permission wouldn't allow it, and in the mountains, about 5000', there's no clay! Otherwise, i would!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

bigred1951

luckily where i live back in the woods theres nobody to stop me from doing what ever i want when i want. no building permits and what not. i would like to build it around 16' wide by 24' long 2 story. then build on a small bathroom and maybe eventually a small bedroom

Okrafarmer

And again I wish to move to Kentucky. Such a sensible place.  :-*
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mrgraphix

Yes i want to build a small cabin like that at the lake.  if i can ever get the time currently working on pig pen and chicken house never a spare min any more let us know how the build goes.
nothing is better than felling your own trees making your own lumber and then building something with it

Meadows Miller

Dont worry about not having the coin  ;) I have started heaps of things with nothing you always end up with something or what you started out with Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8)

And you are in the rite No B.S Area to do it  ;) Jim (Okra) Im running to the principal that its better to ask for forgiveness than ask for bloody permittion these days Mate  ;) :D ;D 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

taylorsmissbeehaven

I am going to build the same type thing at my pond for a guest house/get away shack. I also have a set of Sheldon designs "micro cabin" plans. They are pretty good and can be tailored to what fits your needs. It doesnt take a fortune if you use what you can dig up on the property and what others are disgarding. Go for it! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

MotorSeven

Red, I'm not too far from you and also "beyond the sticks". I am just finishing up my cedar log house(working on it since June of '11). The only things I hired out was  the septic system, a crane for the Hemlock rafters I milled and a part time elcetrician....the rest was just the three of us...me, myself & I(lots of in house fighting) ;) I had no plans, other then what had been banging around in my head for over 20 years. It's about 1300 sq ft on a full basement, 2 br 2.5 bath.

So if you want to build a cabin go for it. Just about anything needed can be scrounged from Craigslist and people you know or do business with. Even the scrap yards can be a gold mine where everyday somewhere someone sells brand new house wire still in the package and you can buy it for pennies on the dollar.

You are only limited my your imagination and determination  smiley_thumbsup

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!