iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flared Cants?

Started by oklalogdog, September 30, 2012, 03:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklalogdog

I have a TK 1220 with 20' of track.  I put a beautiful log on there today and was going to make some nice boards out of it so I flattened two sides and low and behold the cant was flared on both ends with the middle being about an inch narrower than the ends. I flattened the other two sides and it did the same thing.  So now I have a beautiful flared cant - kinda of pretty but useless.  I checked my level and all seems to be OK.  anyone have any suggestions?
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

tyb525

Stress in the log, causing it to move most likely.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've had logs do that and it just makes ya laugh..... after you know what's going on.
The first time it happened, I thought my blade alignment was off.
TYB525 is right, probably stress release.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

oklalogdog

Ha - I would have never thought of that  (stress release).  Oh well you learn something every time you fire the mill up.

sawmillhand

don't feel bad i had a pretty log on my mill and i too had a flared cant  i thought the same thing mill was out alignment. i then put another log up there and nice and square.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Magicman

Sometimes you will have to flip the cant as each board is removed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

oklalogdog

Actually I found the problem.  One of the middle sections on my track was too high even though everything checked level.  I lowered it and began sawing square again.  Live and learn I guess.

Magicman

Thanks for reporting back.  Everyone's problems and fixes helps everyone else.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!