iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw recommendation for cutting 5' diameter oak

Started by scsmith42, August 11, 2007, 10:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jokers

Quote from: Dan_Shade on August 12, 2007, 08:50:10 PM
the 090 is not readily available in the US. 
...........or anywhere else in North America anymore. There was a sale thread on gypoclimber.com for Gerry Beranek`s 090 a while ago, not sure if it`s still going. Gerry got hurt pretty bad and was selling his 090, now that`s a saw with some history!

jokers

Quote from: limbrat on August 12, 2007, 02:18:58 PM
I got a Dolmar ps7900 with a 32and 28" bars for just under $900.
The power to weight ratio is unreal 79cc 6.3 bhp @ 13.5 lbs dry weight without a bar.
And the 660 is 91cc 7.0 bhp @ 16.8lbs dry weight without a bar. If you are going to be felling and bucking with it a ps7900 with a 32" bar is a excellent saw at a good price. If it is gona pull double duty on a chainsaw mill then a 880 or one of the big huskeys would be a better saw.
With long bars and hardwood the 7900 is not a close match for the 660(with factory dual port muffler cover) regardless of what the hp specs say, I`ve got them both and know first hand what they are all about. The 7900 is a very nice/good saw but it`s not what I would call a long bar saw.

I`ve also got an 088 and generally wouldn`t recommend this saw to anyone unless all they were cutting was hardwood 48" and above. If a person doesn`t mind lugging a 30+lb. saw combo around and having $1500 sit the rest of the time when you don`t feel like lugging it, then go for it, it`s a very nice saw for it`s intended purpose.

Al_Smith

Quote from: jokers on August 13, 2007, 10:37:54 AM
Quote from: Al_Smith on August 12, 2007, 02:06:55 PM
It seems I've seen that same picture,perhaps some place else,hmm. ;D
Yes, is that not Gypo Loggers dining room and table?
That was my first inclination also.One thing about the internet,you never really know where stuff comes from or who exactly is making a post or where exactly are the where abouts of said Mr Lambert at any given time.

I'm not exactly sure of the where abouts of Jerry B's 090 is at the present time.That one had a 7 foot bar and and a whole bunch of historical signifigants behind it,making it a collectors dream .

The 090's are where you find them ,none are what you would call cheap but then again,they don't make them any more.I saw the very last one ever sold in Canada and to this very day has never had any fuel in it.That one is perhaps one of only several on the entire planet in that condition.It is owned by a collector in north east Ohio.

scsmith42

Thanks all for the feedback.  There is a used 880 near Mt. Laurel, NJ for 900.00 - purchased new last year by a fellow with a tree service and he's no longer able to use it (some type of accident - not due to the chainsaw). 

I hate to buy it sight unseen though...

Jokers - 30 lbs sure is a lot of chainsaw to lug around - I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the 660 and that dual port muffler that you mentioned with a long bar...

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jokers

Well Scott, keep in mind that in the cut, the powerhead will be supported by either the stem or the bar in the stem but it is alot to lug, especially with a long bar. $900 is probably a fair price for the saw because most tree services don`t use the big saws that often either. They are built for very specialized use. The 660 is a very popular saw amongst professionals for everything from firewood blocking to felling and limbing because it doesn`t weigh so much that you can`t use it for a reasonable period of time.

Ianab

QuoteThat one is perhaps one of only several on the entire planet in that condition.

Here is another one.

May be old stock, but it's still new in the box from Stihl here in NZ. It aint cheap though. Picture at the NZ Fieldays a couple of months back.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

You had to bring that one up again, didn't you? I am still drooling. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scsmith42

Ian, I remember your post - the price tag scared the heck out of me though!  (even if it was in NZ dollars).

Jokers (and all), thanks for the insight.  I think that if I can find a good used 880 for a reasonable price, that would be my first choice.  If I have to buy new, I'll probably lean more towards the 660.

Scott

oldsaw

Quote from: scsmith42 on August 13, 2007, 01:48:28 PM
Thanks all for the feedback.  There is a used 880 near Mt. Laurel, NJ for 900.00 - purchased new last year by a fellow with a tree service and he's no longer able to use it (some type of accident - not due to the chainsaw). 

I hate to buy it sight unseen though...

Jokers - 30 lbs sure is a lot of chainsaw to lug around - I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the 660 and that dual port muffler that you mentioned with a long bar...

Scott

I'd vote for a 660.  I love mine, and it has done everything I've ever asked.  I have a 3120 for milling, but it's so heavy and clunky that I don't have a lot of desire to crosscut with it.  I can if I have to, but my longest bar is 42", and the 066 can pull it, doesn't like it, but it can.  It has no problems at all with a 36" in oak.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Allison

Hi, I have to buck up the occasional 4' And a couple of times 5' Red Gums and I've used my 460 , 32' bar with a skip chain and it's been quite reasonable. Red Gum is about 25% denser than white oak.
Obviously if you are doing it regularly or are buying new the 660 would be the way to go. An 880 sitting around for that occasional use is a lot of cash tied up. I use an 84 in my mill and its never been worth the extra hassle to take it out change bars and chains just for the occasional bucking job.
The 660 would be a far more versatile saw for other occasions. Maybe it's a guy thing to want the biggest, Like the quote says "whoever dies with the most toys wins" :) :)

Take Care and enjoy
Allison :) :)

scsmith42

rebocardo

> Maybe it's a guy thing to want the biggest

Yea, I always wanted a 3120, finally found one used for a reasonable price, and got tired of it because I couldn't find anything big enough for it to eat on a steady basis. Not the lightest saw to use for bucking.  Anything under 30" oak  I was better off with the Husky 365.

Making notches with it isn't easy either, it is a lot of weight.

Though I would have kept it if I had followed through on another chainsaw mill.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scsmith42

Hi Dave.  Well... since you asked....  no chainsaws.  But I did pick up a Mattison 202 straight line rip saw, and an '08 Ford F450... (with the 33K CGWR).  Oh, and a Benneli M2 followed me home recently...

<grin>

I haven't had the need for a Mongo chainsaw yet - probably will soon but I've been biding my time.

Scott

Thank You Sponsors!