iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Serious insect pest affecting nut production in butternut/walnut

Started by SwampDonkey, July 21, 2013, 06:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Annual crop losses due to butternut curculio (a snout weevil) range from 25 % in light years to 100 % in heavy years, a most frustrating pest problem for growers.

Some information below.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/pub360/notes/nutbutcur.htm

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/CropOp/en/spec_fruit/nuts/hear.html

My yard trees seem to be infested with them. Also seems to be some sort of gall wasp or midge around this year to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

I can't get the link to work. Know if it has been changed? ???
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Seems to me some appropriately timed insecticide applications would really knock down this pest. I would aim for the first egg laying period to pick off the adults and reduce the new generation, again at the egg hatching period of summer, which would nail the little emerging beggars as well as any adults hanging around. I'd bet the next year they would be greatly reduced and you might even be able to just spray once early and then just monitor after that. ;D

SwampDonkey

It's never as easy as it seems. Not everyone sprays or keeps any kind of regiment. Then, there is timing. When to and when not to spray.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!