iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big tree

Started by Texas Ranger, November 02, 2018, 10:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Took a trip east, found a big tree.  Wife for comparison, no, not your eyes, out of focus.  ;D

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I found anther one South of Pagosa Springs, CO.

~5' but it was not standing. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Don't get me started on this :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

My two new magestic dawn redwoods, and a couple pawpaws...

Well, they'll be spectacular one day

<.<
>.>

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2018, 07:18:17 PM
I found anther one South of Pagosa Springs, CO.

~5' but it was not standing.
I didn't know leprechauns got that tall.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

Big elm on the Penn State campus.

I saw this one in St Croix this past year.  Its a Baobab tree and this survived hurricane Maria.  

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Here is the Champion Tree on my property.  Cherrybark Oak and the same guy that is pictured above.  He sorta gets around.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

It's getting to the point I can't doublecut rounds off with the 25" bar. I have to go in from two sides, then rip it to remove pieces.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 02, 2018, 07:41:58 PM
Don't get me started on this :).
One still has its bark and the other......well..... :D :D :D :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on November 03, 2018, 05:09:27 PM

One still has its bark and the other......well..... :D :D :D :D

Moss?

thecfarm

Some sort of shaggy growth.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

A good sized poplar on a nearby farm

This Kentucky coffeetree was only a little smaller than the stump of its champion brother that died a few years before this one started to endanger the house it was beside. Not huge but nice.

WDH

LobloLLy  by golly.

Ron Wenrich

I often wonder why there is a large tree in a certain area.  Especially when it is so much larger than the surrounding stand.  I've been in some old stands down around Philly that have had some really big timber, but the whole stand was large timber.

I walked a property with a landowner a number of years ago.  We walked up on a 60" chestnuts oak.  I asked if it was a property corner.  It was.  

Other times the large trees were old fence rows and pasture trees. The pasture was allowed to go back to forest.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

FLPINERAT

Thomasville....Jawja

Cables and rods surgically implated! Just can't see em.

Treehack

Was by myself, so had to use my truck for perspective.

Shagbark hickory

Maple

Walnut(nobody tell WDH)

Oak
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

DanG

Quote from: FLPINERAT on November 04, 2018, 08:05:18 PM
Thomasville....Jawja

Cables and rods surgically implated! Just can't see em.

I used to climb on that tree when I was a little kid, back in the middle part of the last century. We lived right around the corner on the same block. There was a house on the lot at that time but they tore it down because it was interfering with the tree. Some of the branches extend so far out that they rest on the ground. You can see where one has been cut off in the pic. That branch extended all the way across the street and rested in someone's front yard. They had built a little tower next to the street to help support it. I'm not sure what caused it to finally break unless it took too many hits from delivery trucks.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

DanG,thanks for the history of that tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

DanG,
That is interesting!  

How was it dated, age determined?

Texas Ranger

Thank You Sponsors!