iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for new commercial splitter

Started by dashiell1981, May 15, 2019, 01:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashiell1981

I'm looking to replace our old homemade splitter with a high capacity commercial splitter with all the bells and whistles.  Been looking at Timberwolf, Allwood, Eastonmade, etc. I'm in California and mostly split black oak. My budget is $12-13,000. We don't have a firewood business, just a large family that burns about 30 cord per year. Also, will use it to split cedar and fir slash from off the mill. Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Thank you

stavebuyer

I owned an Eastonmade 22-28. Might be more than you need. The next size down has a slightly faster cycle time. Unless your strictly outside stoves and large blocks I'd go with a box wedge and the 4-way for wedges. Andrew Easton responds to his cell phone if you have a question or a problem.

gasman1075

JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

hedgerow

Welcome dasheiell1981
I don't own any of the brands you mention. I will throw out my 2 cents. I don't sell wood either but burn around 15 cord a year I have a Garn I run year around for domestic water. I have always ran homebuilt splitters as I could never find the one that fit the bill and cost to. Couple years ago I had a old college buddy that lives 400 miles east of me was having some health issues. He and his wife burns around 20 cord a year in a OWB heating a big old farm house. He was completely out of wood. So after spring planting I hired a buddy that helps me do my farming and wood and we went east to get his 20 cord for the next year ready. I took saws and that type of equipment but left the splitter home as he had a almost new TW-6 splitter loaded. We were there several days and got the wood done but that wood splitter almost finished both of us. Both of us are around six foot tall and 200 pounds. Both of us can't bent over for hours on end. Nice splitter but built too low to the ground. I sure would give Eastonmade a good look I like his box wedge that can be removed and go single or four way. Which ever you buy get it made for your height and always have a log lift. 

Bruno of NH

Check out Woody's Eguipment 
They make a great splitter 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

Take a look at Timberdevil splitters you are not bent over and for the money your talking you could get one with a built in conveyor
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

luap

Quote from: hedgerow on May 15, 2019, 09:58:47 AM
Welcome dasheiell1981
I don't own any of the brands you mention. I will throw out my 2 cents. I don't sell wood either but burn around 15 cord a year I have a Garn I run year around for domestic water. I have always ran homebuilt splitters as I could never find the one that fit the bill and cost to. Couple years ago I had a old college buddy that lives 400 miles east of me was having some health issues. He and his wife burns around 20 cord a year in a OWB heating a big old farm house. He was completely out of wood. So after spring planting I hired a buddy that helps me do my farming and wood and we went east to get his 20 cord for the next year ready. I took saws and that type of equipment but left the splitter home as he had a almost new TW-6 splitter loaded. We were there several days and got the wood done but that wood splitter almost finished both of us. Both of us are around six foot tall and 200 pounds. Both of us can't bent over for hours on end. Nice splitter but built too low to the ground. I sure would give Eastonmade a good look I like his box wedge that can be removed and go single or four way. Which ever you buy get it made for your height and always have a log lift.
I think the operating height of  a splitter is the most overlooked design feature.  I built a splitter for a fellow that also was over six feet tall and the height was his first requirement also with cycle speed being second on his list. I added a lift table, drilled out the hydraulic cylinder holes and welded on larger fittings. He wanted detent control valve for both directions, but myself would only want it on return stroke. An adjustable 4 way wedge and a large off bearing table that with a trailer or truck, no wood had to be picked up off the ground. He splits wood for three families and said it was the first time they all had the wood done before fall with very limited bending over. A comparable commercial splitter was at least $12000.

John Mc

I have an American CIS splitter - I bought a used model , which had the optional hydraulic log lift, honda engine, 4-way and 6-way wedges. It's very well built.

I prefer to work standing up, rather than bent over, and am not a fan of vertical splitters (more bending over or getting up and down). I also like using a horizontal splitter to push the splits right into the back of my trailer when I'm splitting in the woods. The 6-way wedge is a bit much for my splitter, unless I'm working in easy-to split wood, like Ash or straight-grained Oak.

I've been happy with it, but I do have to say I like my friend's Timberwolf TW-2 just a little better (There is no hydraulic lift available for the TW-2, though they do have a manual, lever operated log lift option.) It's hard to describe what I like better about it: the two are very similar in design and capability. I guess it just "fit" me slightly better. I almost bought a new TW-2HD (which was a bit heavier duty than the TW-2 and had a hydraulic lift as an option), but when the American CIS splitter came on the used market, I jumped on it.

NOTE: Timberwolf was sold to a few years ago to Automated Biomass Systems, which moved all production from Rutland, VT (not far from me) to Marathon NY. They appear to have discontinued some models (including the TW-2HD I was looking at). They also just introduced some new ones at the high end of their scale. I have no idea if the "new" Timberwolf is as good as the old one, but they sure look that way. The new Timberwolf Alpha is aimed at the commercial market and looks top-notch, though I have no experience with it. (Bonus feature: you can swap a box wedge in for the normal 4 or 6 way wedges). They also sell conveyors and firewood processors.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

dashiell1981

Thanks for all the great info. I'm most impressed by the Eastonmade 12/22 with box wedge. The box wedge design is well thought out. Now, time to look for a conveyor.
Thanks again.

Roscoe294

All Wood
Veteran Owned
Made in U.S.A with U.S. steel

glassman_48

dashiell1981, I am a sponsor in here, (firewood processors) I sell brute force products, I also sell some ABS which bought timberwolf.  I am not sure how hard black oak is to split expecially using a box wedge.  Your welcome to contact me through my website, and I could help guide you  with what type splitter will benefit you the most.  

GRANITEstateMP

dashiell1981,

Curious as to what route you've taken in the new splitter?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

dashiell1981

I ended up with the Eastonmade 22/28.
It is a massive machine! The videos and pics do not do it justice. Splits the black oak easily.
Definitely need a conveyor though, splits faster than you can move it out of the way.

GRANITEstateMP

Good to hear, pictures of it in operation are always a plus... ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

hedgerow

What type of wedge did you end up getting with the Eastonmade?

dashiell1981

I got three types. 4 and 6 way, and box wedge. The box wedge will be ideal for the larger rounds of fir and cedar, but created too much waste with the smaller oak rounds. I have the 4 way on right now for the oak. Still haven't tried the 6 way yet, kind of regret getting it.

Thank You Sponsors!