iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak

Started by mainiac, November 28, 2009, 05:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainiac

I just had some red oak milled up that was cut down last spring. I was thinking of sticker stacking it inside a shipping container that has not been modified at all and won't be.  Small vents in the corners.

Is this a mistake or will it be ok in there. I don't see a need for this lumber for a couple of years.

Happy Trails
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

scsmith42

You might need a little more air movement initiially than what is available inside the container.  Try stacking/stickering it outside (but covered) for 6 months, and then move it into the container.

12" - 16" sticker spacing is ideal.  Make sure that your first row is dead straight.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mainiac

What will happen? Mold? Rot? Stain?

woodmills1

yes outside first is the way, maybe just 6 months but it will be better.  It wont dry inside at first in this part of the year.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

scsmith42

Quote from: mainiac on November 28, 2009, 05:58:17 PM
What will happen? Mold? Rot? Stain?

All of the above, but primarily mold when the temperatures increase.  You won't get much drying over the winter due to the enclosed space and lack of airflow, so when it warms up in the spring and summer the wood will probably still be over 35% MC, and will mold/rot.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

campy

You have to move the moisture out.
Maybe use some fans and leave the door open?

Dodgy Loner

I second what scsmith said. You will not be pleased with the results if you sticker green oak in a shipping container. Once it's dry that will be a good place to store it until you need it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Egon

Could you add some air vents to the container. Some at the bottom for inlet and some at the top for outlet air and utilize natural air flow. Sota like the Cupola system on the old time hay barns.

Den Socling

I don't think that would be enough airflow. You need to do some drying to keep a black mold from growing and that requires a couple hundred CFM minimum.

mainiac

We have moved it outside and stickered. What do we use to cover it to keep it from sun burning? I was thinking old sheets with a top only tarp. Or do people just accept some loss to the burning?

Mainiac

jdtuttle

I use old used metal roofing. If you know anyone in construction you can pick it up pretty cheap from demolition jobs.
jim
Have a great day

Thank You Sponsors!