iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Odd shop visitors

Started by yukon cornelius, August 03, 2016, 03:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

We get critters through here all the time. Some are welcome but some just are not. Especially when they try to bite me for no apparent reason.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Woodhauler

Well number one and two are reasons for me to burn shop down!!! Goat I can eat!!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

r.man

A good fire would take care of all three, the third I call barbecue.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Chuck White

Looks like a Wood Spider, a dead snake and a goat!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

Dangitall, that's a huge spider!!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ianab

Last time I saw a spider like that cutting firewood with a friend.

I turn around and see him with his shirt off doing some sort of tribal rain dance thing.  :D

He's disturbed a spider like that in the bark of the log, it ran out at about 100 mph, onto his saw, then up his arm and into the sleeve of his T-shirt. You can picture the rest  8)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Spiders I don't mind,minus about 2½ inches.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chuck White on August 03, 2016, 08:27:39 PM
Looks like a Wood Spider, a dead snake and a goat!   ;D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: r.man on August 03, 2016, 04:03:42 PM
....... the third I call barbecue.

Let's not get nasty.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kensfarm

Quote from: Ianab on August 03, 2016, 09:08:54 PM
I turn around and see him with his shirt off doing some sort of tribal rain dance thing.  :D

That's called the spidey dance.. often happens in the fall when you walk into a big spider web.. and your not sure if the spider is on you or not.  My fiancé had that down pretty good.. lot of movement involved. 

sawguy21

:D I think I would be high steppin' if I saw anything like that around here. The biggest threat is the occasional black bear.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

yukon cornelius

I must have deleted the scorpion picture on my phone. The spider isn't the biggest by far. It is a Missouri tarantula. So says Missouri conservation. I used to be terrified of them but then I learned they can live more than 30 years. For some reason I couldn't kill them any more. I don't pet them or keep it as a pet or touch it or let it stay in the shop, but I respectfully sweep them on something far away from me and transplant them outside. I may or may not do an embarrassing shiver after. My fearless 5 year old walks up an picks it up. The copperhead iis #9 this year and snuck right up on me while table sawing and began striking at me. It soon had an allergic reaction to a shovel.

Bark Beetle

And that's not even a big tarantula smiley_spider drop
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

Magicman

Quote from: Ianab on August 03, 2016, 09:08:54 PMLast time I saw a spider like that cutting firewood with a friend.
I wish that I could get them to help me cut firewood.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Ouch!
I'll take NY state high taxes anytime compared to spiders and snakes of the venomous variety
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

I have never seen a spider cutting firewood, either alone, or with a friend  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 04, 2016, 12:08:34 AM
The copperhead is #9 this year and snuck right up on me while table sawing and began striking at me. It soon had an allergic reaction to a shovel.

:D :D
Say when

samandothers

Quote from: WDH on August 04, 2016, 07:39:21 AM
I have never seen a spider cutting firewood, either alone, or with a friend  :D.

While you were alone or with a friend.... or the spider? ;D

timberlinetree

Looks like Mr goat wants to help. He has his ear protection.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

yukon cornelius

Quote from: timberlinetree on August 05, 2016, 04:52:44 AM
you can never be too safe. You don't want goats that can't here.  ;D

Carson-saws

"He's disturbed a spider like that in the bark of the log, it ran out at about 100 mph, onto his saw, then up his arm and into the sleeve of his T-shirt. You can picture the rest" .....Now THAT would make for a GREAT funniest video!!!!
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Texas Ranger

Did you find that baby spiders momma?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doctorb

Knowing what little I know about copperheads, I'd say that if you've seen 9 in the last year, you've got a breeding ground under your shed.  That's a LOT of copperheads to see in the same place in a relatively short period.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

yukon cornelius

Doctorb, we live in a very wooded area woth lots of rock outcrops and have been clearing underbrush this year. We have much disturbed their home. The stories from a few old timers around here talk about a cave nearby. They claim every couple years the copperheads would be numerous and they would go to the cave and kill hundreds coming out of it. It could be a tall tale but I am thinking there might be something to it.

Bill Gaiche

I was up your way on June 11th and 12t. and I didn't see any critters. I watched the drag boat races at the Lucas raceway. Nice place. bg

yukon cornelius

If you make it up again look us up. We are 10 miles from there. We still here the boats and race cars. The monster ttuck show there is great. They have a really nice facility there.

Kbeitz

Living on a Christmas tree farm we would mow all 100 acres of weeds
every year. I used a large Gravely walk behind mower. My mind would
wonder off dreaming about anything but what I was doing whole walking
this machine. We had large yellow an black spiders that would web between
the trees. I would walk right into the web before I would see it. I had to
stop the mower before I could do any swatting or spider removing or I
would mow over the Christmas trees. Never got bit from a spider but it's
a whole other story with the bees.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

East ky logging

I've never seen a spider that big around here but we have the copperheads. I went into a shed a few weeks ago to get some sheet metal and there was one under it. I'd have loved to had that videotaped I jumped back and grabbed a metal t-post to kill it with and they was a wasp nest on it so I was getting eat up by them while I was dancing around after the snake that was between me and the door.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 04, 2016, 12:08:34 AM
I must have deleted the scorpion picture on my phone. The spider isn't the biggest by far. It is a Missouri tarantula. So says Missouri conservation. I used to be terrified of them but then I learned they can live more than 30 years. For some reason I couldn't kill them any more. I don't pet them or keep it as a pet or touch it or let it stay in the shop, but I respectfully sweep them on something far away from me and transplant them outside. I may or may not do an embarrassing shiver after. My fearless 5 year old walks up an picks it up. The copperhead iis #9 this year and snuck right up on me while table sawing and began striking at me. It soon had an allergic reaction to a shovel.
Wonder if that Copperhead was going to swallow you head first.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

hopm

Speaking of being eaten head first....
Came into my shop one night and found a pile of snow....so I thought. Really didnt look natural especially considering there was no snow. Then I recognized an eye....and a head....turned out to be an 8' albino python. We didnt keep company long. I'll try to find some pics of him before he got shipped off.

cliffreaves

This guy was hanging out under a board in my shop tonight.

yukon cornelius

Is that a wolf spider? We had another copperhead yesterday. I usually wouldn't say this but I am ready for winter to get here

JohnW

Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 05, 2016, 08:55:04 AM
Quote from: timberlinetree on August 05, 2016, 04:52:44 AM
you can never be too safe. You don't want goats that can't here.  ;D

How can you tell if a goat can't hear?  Fire a gun?

caveman

One day not too long ago I was in my shop working at the table saw when I noticed a gopher tortoise walking through the shop by the little Craftman saw that has since been moved along with some other junk to make room for my boat

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/22883/image~125.jpg? .  I guess he was taking a short cut to the grass on the north side of the shop.
Caveman

yukon cornelius

Today, our first timber rattler showed up. I love summer but I think its time for cold so these guys go away.

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 29, 2016, 01:25:31 AM
Today, our first timber rattler showed up. I love summer but I think its time for cold so these guys go away.
[/quote
Gee Larry you must be the snake whisperer. Been a long time since I saw a rattler around here. Did you get a pic of him?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Brad_bb

Careful caveman... the EPA will declare your shop an endangered wildlife habitat and you won't be able to work in there again!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

caveman

I think gophers  are on the threatened list but there sure are a lot of them around.  When I used to have a bloodhound, Ned, they were really endangered around here.  He would catch them in his mouth and bust them like grapes.  When I was a kid, a lot of people used to eat them.  Heck, I even know or knew folks who used to eat manatees and make knife handles out of their bones.  Eating manatee, gopher, sea turtles, sea turtle eggs or a lot of other stuff that our ancestors ate would land one in prison these days.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!