iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening 3/4 chain

Started by Nemologger, March 30, 2016, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

Does anyone know what the settings are for sharpening a 3/4 chain on a chain grinder?
Clean and Sober

Gary_C

Depends on the chain type. The settings are different for 11BC or 11H which are the two I recall. You do know the Oregon sharpener has a separate vice for 3/4 pitch chain and takes a different wheel?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

BargeMonkey

I know you can download the Oregon spec sheet on 3/4 chain. I want to say my grinder is set for 30below and 50 above, I believe factory spec is diff than that. I sharpen 11H + BC the same. Actually now running all just 11H on both cutter and decksaw, haven't noticed a difference.

Gary_C

I found my Oregon books. This is 2004 specs.

11BC takes 60 and 35 with depth gauges at .060

11H takes 50 and 30 with depth gauges at .070

Back in 1999 the 11BC was 60 and 30 and .060
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tj240

we grind ours 25 and 60, seem to hold up good
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

I can't think of 1 addition that I've made, not meaning machine wise but just "product" that has done as much, as cheaply as going to 3/4 pitch. Not perfect but knowing now what a sawbuck will do I refuse to go without one.

ehp

I just filed the 3/4 inch on the processor for the first time and will see how it cuts tomorrow , Just playing at this point as the truck that is going to haul the wood does not get here until Monday but want to be ready for him, I'm cutting pretty much dead or  almost dead  white/green ash so good and brittle . Chain is new but cuts pretty rough and is 11H. I filed it to make it cut smoother and should be faster as well .

tj240

we grind ours at 55 and 30, i also have ground at 60 and 30, i think the 60 30 holds better. good luck, none of them like to cut mud which i have
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

ehp

I got a grinder that can grind 3/4 but I hand filed it , its a lot faster than what the new chain was , now we will see how long it last before getting dull

Thank You Sponsors!