Started by richhiway, February 16, 2019, 04:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Great way to keep your chain tuned up when milling with a chainsaw. I like the diamond bits also.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

mddillon78

Michael Dillon
Dillons Woodworks - New Hampshire
Custom Sawmilling and Woodworks
Dillonswoodworks
Dillonswoodworks - YouTube

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

I use the sharpener like Mike uses. I am constantly getting in the mud or nicking a rock and killing the edge on my chains. I plug it in to the receptacle or hook it to the battery on my ATV most of the time but have used my truck or mill battery. Stihl makes a very good sharpener but you have to use their threaded stones. Oregon, TSC, and other make them that don't need threaded stones although you can use them if that is your only source. One thing I prefer on the Oregon over the Sthil sharpener is that the switch on the Sthil sharpener is on the cord and requires 2 handed operation to turn the sharpener on or off while on the Oregon sharpener it is on the side of the machine and you just toggle it on and off with your thumb. Great post, great machine. Every chainsaw should come with one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sealark37

Elof Granberg came up with this design almost forty years ago.  It worked well then, and it is still a winner, as long as you are close to the truck.  The original would use smooth or threaded stones.  I still have a couple.  I believe that I could locate one, given some time to browse.   Regards, Clark

Ron Wenrich

I started to use the Stihl hand file setup that files the chain and brings the raker to the proper height at the same time.  I use a grinder only when I have badly damaged teeth.  I prefer the hand file method as it  sharpens better and I don't have to worry about burning teeth.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sealark37

The solution to burning teeth is another old Granberg product, "Cool Grind".  It consists of a small stick that is touched to the stone every 3 or 4 teeth.     Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!