iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying hard not to swear - guy cutting great trees for posts :( (photo heavy)

Started by asy, October 03, 2005, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Well, we are on the prowl for a block of dirt again. Found one we both really like, unfortunately no house this time, but that's fixable :D

Went there on the weekend to have a looksee again, and try to drive over it, although it's a bit big at 2000 acres to drive the whole thing, as it's thick bush mostly.

Now, while we were there, the owner, who's an elderly greek merchant, and knows nothing about bush, and his son who lives there, who knows less about bush than the father...  told us that there's a guy named Bob who comes and takes fallen trees and cuts them up as fence posts. "He only takes the old crappy trees and cleans the block up" or so bob tells them, and they don't really know better.

Well, we found the cut sites old bob uses. we were NOT amused.

Here are just a few photos of what we found...

This is his abandoned site, he's moved on from here, presumably what's left is rubbish.

This is the middle of the logs that obviously get left behind, they are littered everywhere.

More of the logs he's left at his last cutting site.

Leftovers again...

And another left over...  Now, don't tell me they are cutting FENCE POSTS out of this...

Andy and the owner's son looking over the site...

THis is the log at his new site, next to his tractor.

Shot for size comparison.

More...  at the same site

And more.

We followed the tractor tracks through the woods to this stump.  Yup, totally obvious he's only taking fallen trees, don't you think???

One of the mid sized trees on the property, just FYI!

Now, back to Bob...

He's supposed to be paying the owners $1 per post. Now, my estimate is that he gets about 90 posts from a tree, so the owners get about $90. Theoretically. However in the last month or so, the owner reckons he's only got about $50. Guess how fast this guy's going to be off the property if we take it over?

WHat makes me most cross is that there are literally DOZENS of trees this same size laying on the ground around the site, he hasn't taken any of these. And he's cutting magnificent timber that's absolutely stunning, up into FENCE POSTS!!!

Now I've finished fuming. THanks for listening guys.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

That is heartbreaking seeing the landowner being victimized by his own ignorance >:(.  Happens all too often.  I hope you get the land and give this vulture the bum's rush. That is beautiful timber . You call 2000 acres "a block of dirt'" WOW :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Doncha know, trees are free? I mean, they grew by themselves so shouldn't the person get them for almost nothing?

Yes, I am being sarcastic but I swear that seems to be the attitude of so many.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

asy

Funny you should mention that, Fred, while we were there another couple of guys in a ute (pickup) pulled up and started loading stuff into it. Nice stuff.

AParrently the locals have been using this site as their own backyard for far too long. They're gonna get a rude shock if we take it over.

We'll probably be looking for someone to manage the site, and take trees of responsibly. Look after the internal roads, and the Gravel Quarry on site. Should be interesting, and I gotta tellya, not sure I'm looking forward to looking for someone who's gonna be able to do it. Still, there's more than a full time job on site, and enough lumber to build a city, let alone a house or three... 

woodbowl

Asy, I am trying to visulize the cutting technique used. Are those chainsaw marks, or is he using a swinger? Are the cuts beeing made around part of the log as in peeling a big carrot?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Kirk_Allen

DanG

Looks like he might have been quarter-sawing with a swinger.  Strange technique, though.  Sure don't look like he was making fenceposts.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

Well, there's one log that's been quartersawn, and it was chocked up on rails and everything. But it had been abandoned and he's moved on to the next site. This was the only log we saw that had been sawn like this.

Most of the others have been sawn radially with a Chain saw. The saw marks were not straight, and the middle of the tree has been left as rubbish. I didn't see any evidence of any sort of milling equipment, and the owner's son says he hears the guy using a chain saw...  But they really don't understand the value of the timber.

I am still shaking my head at what kind of moron would use such beautiful timber as fence posts. And what sort of man he'd have to be to lie to the owner...

Anyone wanna come manage it for us? lol

Frank_Pender

Asy, I am tempted to buy the land to keep all of the jerk form ripping off the logs and lumber. >:(

What is the asking price?
Frank Pender

Paul_H

I might be missing something but most of those logs appear to have some serious shake issues and other defects.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Corley5

Looks like a lot of work to make fence posts.  I'd be cutting the smaller trees that are just the right size ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

I was looking for a stump, but didn't see one. Thought maybe the duplicate picture was to be the stump, so looked in the gallery - but didn't find any of the pics?  Are the pics not there? 

Hope Asy can get the 'dirt' and then the mill so then the house.  Interesting 'bush'.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

2000 acres is a lot of land to patrol when there are already people who think it is their's.

The pictures aren't being stored on the Forestry Forum Gallery, Frank.  She's linking to an off-site storage facility.

Roxie

Well now, I wondered how your weekend turned out, and here ya are!  I agree with Tom, and I told ya that 2000 acres is not a farm, it's a small country!   :D
I'd be real curious to hear Bob's side of the story, because somewhere between what the owner is saying and what Bob has to say would be closer to the truth.
If this goes through, how long would it take to build a house on the property?
Say when

Furby

asy

THanks guys, didn't notice the duplicate, it's fixed now.

Rox, it is like a small country! it's amazing!!

pigman

asy said    "Yup, totally obvious he's only taking fallen trees, don't you think???"

He's right. After he cut the tree down it was a fallen tree. ::)

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ernie

Asy

Jan and I are coming over to Brisbane at the end of the month for  about 4 days to see daughter, SIL and most importantly our grand daughter, It'd be nice to meet up and have a gekko at your bit of dirt if it's convenient.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

It was like that on this place before I bought it.  The previous owner hadn't done anything with it for 10 years, so the neighbors was all usin' it like it was their own.  They were running cows on it and cutting the hay for themselves, storing hay in the barns, picking up the pecans, etc.  I locked'r down when I bought it.  Told'em I had plans for all the barns, and needed the pasture for my horses.  I was like a turd in the punch bowl around here for quite a while. ::)  Know what, though?  All but one of'em are either dead or moved away, and the one that's left has always been cool about the whole thing.  He doesn't live here, anyway, but comes to check his cows every couple of days.  I guess I'm the "old guy" around here, now and it's only been 12 years. 

If you get the place, just be friendly but firm with all the locals.  Let them know that the place is private.  They'll grumble a bit, but will respect you more in the long run. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

Quote from: DanG on October 03, 2005, 11:26:22 PM
If you get the place, just be friendly but firm with all the locals.  Let them know that the place is private.  They'll grumble a bit, but will respect you more in the long run. ;)

THat's exactly what we'd planned. A simple sign at the gate saying the property is privately owned, and is patrolled, and anyone with any business best make themselves known.

Also we will be very serious with anyone who still comes on and uses the resources. That should get around. And although I'll not set out to put anyone offside, if I have to do so to protect my dirt, I will.

Ernie, the block isn't near Brissie, it's about 3 hours away. ALthough if you're around, let us know maybe we can meet up for a cuppa!!!

Quartlow

Quote from: asy on October 03, 2005, 09:57:43 AM

Anyone wanna come manage it for us? (I typed lol instead of using a Forestry Forum smiley, whats wrong with me?)

You buying the sawmill? wonder what it would cost to ship a container full of tools to asy. I could just bring my poor old breezewood mill, you gonna pay my moving expenses?
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Jeff

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2005, 11:41:21 AM
The pictures aren't being stored on the Forestry Forum Gallery, Frank.  She's linking to an off-site storage facility.

I didnt notice that before Tom with my fast connection.

Asy, your photo file size is way to large for the forestry forums dial up members. That size is simply not allowed. They woun't even be able to see this thread it will take so long to load. In fairness to all the other members tha do, please learn to use the forum gallery, until then I am changing the photos to links so the page will load in a reasonable time.

Here is the link to get you started using the Forestry Forum Gallery:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=12416.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

Quote from: Jeff B on October 04, 2005, 07:33:31 AM

They woun't even be able to see this thread it will take so long to load.
Now Jeff, It loaded up fine on my slow dialup. I started the download, went out and sawed  two  thousand bdft of lumber and got back just as it was finishing the down load. :D

BW_Williams

Asy, I see alot of fencing in your future :D Or 1 redneck, a lawn chair and a shotgun :D
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

SwampDonkey

I didn't wanan say anything about the file size, as I wanted to load them to see what they was about. But, once I started I found myself wondering why they take so long to load. I never checked the source to see. There great photos, but take it easy on us dialup folks ASY. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We had 850 acres and couldn't keep wood theives, pollutors and arsens away, so I can imagine the job of patroling 2000 acres.  :o

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Yup, gonna take more then one redneck, maybe a couple families will do the trick though!  :o ;)

asy

Quote from: Jeff B on October 04, 2005, 07:33:31 AM

Asy, your photo file size is way to large for the forestry forums dial up members. That size is simply not allowed. They woun't even be able to see this thread it will take so long to load. In fairness to all the other members tha do, please learn to use the forum gallery, until then I am changing the photos to links so the page will load in a reasonable time.

Thanks for changing them to links for me Jeff, I have no problem with that. In my defence  :-\ I did try to use the FF gallery, but I just couldn't get the photos down to 30kb and still have any sort of definition in them, they were a fuzzy mess.

As it is, I reduced the photos from 2100kb to around 120kb  :o and put the 'photo heavy' warning in the subject...  :-[ I will try better next time. Sorry.

Quote from: BW_Williams on October 04, 2005, 08:05:58 AM
Asy, I see alot of fencing in your future :D Or 1 redneck, a lawn chair and a shotgun :D

Hehe, I was thinking just that...  Looks like I may need to get a shotgun and find someone to teach me to drive it. There are foxes on the property, so they may be good target practice.

The main thing we are gonna use to patrol the 2000 acres is CCTV. There's only one entry gate off the highway into the property, so whomever comes in there has to use that entry. Unfortunately we can't lock it coz a couple of other farms also use our property to drive through to get to theirs (we are investigating their drive through rights at the moment) but intend on putting cameras up on a couple of trees, linked back to the house, so I can see what's going on from there. Anyone comes in with a truck, I'll want to know why.

Quote from: Quartlow on October 04, 2005, 07:29:07 AM
You buying the sawmill? wonder what it would cost to ship a container full of tools to asy. I could just bring my poor old breezewood mill, you gonna pay my moving expenses?

I should imagine with that many acres a mill isn't gonna be too far down the track. I'm not paying moving expenses, but then I won't charge you rent either. :D

Jeff

Asy, reduce the pixle size first to 350 wide. You then can easily get the file size down.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

Quote from: Jeff B on October 04, 2005, 05:34:53 PM
Asy, reduce the pixle size first to 350 wide. You then can easily get the file size down.

I had reduced them to 300w before I tried the FF gallery. I will give it another go next time I load photos. Maybe, what I'll do is load the gallery size ones, with a link to higher res for those who want less fuzz...  :D

Larry

All of us like pictures...but like many I do not have access to broadband.  CATV is two miles from our house and will not extend there cable.  Phone company will not equip there central office for DSL.  We tried satellite but it was expensive and worse than that...intermittent service. :(

I was only able to saw 1,000 bf while the pictures loaded, but I'm lot slower than the pigman. ;D

Tweaked your first pic...went from 138kb to 28.7kb.  Quality is not to bad and lot faster loading.

Iffen ya get that piece of dirt, sure would like couple pieces of black bean and hairy oak in trade for whatever wood we have here. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

asy

Larry, you tweak better than I do :(

Promise to be a good girl next time I load photos.

If we get the piece of dirt, remind me about your wood.

pigman

Quote from: Larry on October 04, 2005, 06:23:41 PM

I was only able to saw 1,000 bf while the pictures loaded, but I'm lot slower than the pigman. ;D

No Larry, you did not saw slower than I did. I have a slower connection. ;)
asy, don't let my joking bother you; the pictures were worth the wait. 8)

sigidi

Holy Heck,                                                  (sorry I got in so late - been fencing ::))

Geese stuff like this would make me cry. :'(

The picture of the ironbark - holy heck she was a beauty, I'd give my eye teeth to get a good supply of them, and that quarter left of yellow stringy, not quite sure what he was trying there, but obviously didn't like what he found to have left a quarter of his log behind.

Where's the property Asy? Some of my milling, fencing, and Australian Army training might all be able to contribute to my knowledge of pain receptors and human physiology  (how neural pathways can and can't safeguard against pain) Probably could roll into a nice frightening package given the right – or in this case the wrong impetus !!! >:(

Not sure what the species is which is next to the tractor wheel,looks like bloodwood, (maybe red stringy) but can't tell from the pic too well, so I won't say definitely, but the Ironbark and yellow stringy are both terrific for fence posts and also GOOD sizes for what I can get hold of.

Cutting method for posts.
Here in Aus we use what is termed a split post. You get your log, you run a ripping cut down the length about 4" deep, then you roll the log slightly so you are now about 5-6" away from your first cut, then run another horizontal rip about 4" deep. Now you have two sides cut, the outside of the log becomes a face of the post, then you use the grain of the log as a 'fault line' to split out the post form the log. This gives you a slightly wedge-shaped post, but to hold barbed wire and do many miles (K's ) of fencing  it's economical. Typical fencers should be able to split around 200 posts a day to be profitable, costs run around 20-30 posts (depending upon species of timber) per tank of chainsaw fuel and time

The logs Asy has shown you guys are all high end hardwood timber, good logs without much in the way of defect and very, very useable timber once released from the log. The fella doing the splitting is making a motza, split posts sell for $5-$7 each around here depending upon species again, so doing some figures you can all see, he would still be profiting from giving the landowner $2 a post, and I mean for EVERY post he cuts!!

Just down right rude >:(

Some people are shocking
Always willing to help - Allan

asy

Hey Allan!!!

We were talking about you the other day, did you feel your ears burning???

If we get the block we'll let you know and maybe take a mortgage on your eye teeth.. hehe  I reckon there's enough trees on here to give ya a pressie...

I'm sure we'll work something out.

Good to seeya again!

BW_Williams

Quote from: Furby on October 04, 2005, 12:41:12 PM
Yup, gonna take more then one redneck, maybe a couple families will do the trick though!  :o ;)

Ya just need the right redneck and 1 would be plenty  :D, Sorry, Asy I busy and I'm sort of a homebody.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Paul_H

Quote from: sigidi on October 05, 2005, 06:41:45 AM

The logs Asy has shown you guys are all high end hardwood timber, good logs without much in the way of defect and very, very useable timber once released from the log. The fella doing the splitting is making a motza, split posts sell for $5-$7 each around here depending upon species again, so doing some figures you can all see, he would still be profiting from giving the landowner $2 a post, and I mean for EVERY post he cuts!!

That one log in particular seems to be full of shake right to the heart and the other one that was long butted seems to have stump(heart) rot.You have to realise of course we have different species here so it can be confusing.You can cut a board out of a log with shake but it will fall to pieces.

Fence posts and fence rails in our area are usually cut from defective Western Red Cedar not fit for sawlogs with the same techniques sigidi spoke off,with similar prices.

Of course I shouldn't second guess the two woodsman that were actually on site.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Roxie

Asy, what would you do with the quarry, and how many acres does it take up? 
Say when

Gilman

Sigidi,
Thanks for the post details and costs, adds a lot to the thread.  Now I'm irked too.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

sigidi

Quote from: Paul_H on October 05, 2005, 10:26:45 AM
That one log in particular seems to be full of shake right to the heart

If ya talking about the one which was quartered? that was just end splitting, it wont end up more than about 2-3" in, then once looked after when drying it'll be fine - obviously need to trim that out come time to use it though.

Quote from: Paul_H on October 05, 2005, 10:26:45 AM
the other one that was long butted seems to have stump(heart) rot.

Well picked up Paul - most our Eucs tend to get what we call 'pipe' which I think would equate to your heart rot, it makes the log a good, easy candidate for splitting posts. Depending on the species some have it more frequently than others. For what I've needed to cut so far (being relatively new ;)) logs with pipe are fine as mill logs, just you lose, an amount of volume and on the swinger you get a heap of stuff thrown at your legs when you cut them.

The thing I find so upsetting is the land owner feels this post splitter is doing him a favour by clearing his land of fallens, which I can understand, they will only rot sitting on the ground, and I hate to see logs wasted, so yeah go for splitting some timber out instead of have em rot. BUT the post splitter has the hide to cut down fresh trees!!!?? Now that is just criminal

I've read here sometime before about over in the good old US of A you guys have heavy penalties for tree rustling, is that right? Other than it being stealing, don't know if we have anything heavier than that?

Still cranked - will have some good gusto to dig fence holes!! :D

asy

Quote from: Roxie on October 05, 2005, 11:08:58 AM
Asy, what would you do with the quarry, and how many acres does it take up? 

The Quarry takes up around 50 acres, at a guess, but we're reliably informed that there's still quite some volume of stock there. The stock is small rocks suitable for gardens or as exposed agrigate in concrete. They are quite rounded and not sharp underfoot.

Here's a look at them:

(Gosh I hope this works, have used the new compression programme... )

asy

Quote from: sigidi on October 05, 2005, 05:53:55 PM
The thing I find so upsetting is the land owner feels this post splitter is doing him a favour by clearing his land of fallens, which I can understand, they will only rot sitting on the ground, and I hate to see logs wasted, so yeah go for splitting some timber out instead of have em rot. BUT the post splitter has the hide to cut down fresh trees!!!?? Now that is just criminal

This is my point.  IF The guy was going through just cleaning up the fallen logs, I"d have NO PROBLEMS, coz there are tons and tons of them on the property...  But he's obviously not. Grrr..

Oh, did I remember to mention that the property is about 5-10KM from the beach, and the breezes are just magical?  :D

Quartlow

Quote from: asy on October 04, 2005, 05:06:36 PM

Quote from: Quartlow on October 04, 2005, 07:29:07 AM

I should imagine with that many acres a mill isn't gonna be too far down the track. I'm not paying moving expenses, but then I won't charge you rent either. :D

Aww come on, I think I can get everything of importance in a 20 foot container. And if your not gonna charge me rent what am I going to be living in? Or do I have to saw my own house?
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Furby

Good job on the pics Asy! 8)
Ya got me interested in this place now that ya mention the beach. ;D
Any chance I could aquire a portion of your dirt?
What are the rules for someone in a different country owning dirt there?

asy

Quote from: Furby on October 05, 2005, 06:07:58 PM
Good job on the pics Asy! 8)
Ya got me interested in this place now that ya mention the beach. ;D
Any chance I could aquire a portion of your dirt?
What are the rules for someone in a different country owning dirt there?

Has to go through the FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) but if we just give ya permanent visiting rights, should be fine. Did I happen to mention that it's a darned good surf beach? hehe

Oh, and, also, and, it's national forest between us and the beach. With riding trails.

asy

Quote from: Quartlow on October 05, 2005, 06:07:31 PM
Aww come on, I think I can get everything of importance in a 20 foot container. And if your not gonna charge me rent what am I going to be living in? Or do I have to saw my own house?

Well, since ya put it that way...  Maybe you will need the container to reside in till ya saw yer own house. :D

I"m fairly sure Sigidi would come to the block and help ya out with a mill and some labour, only I'd reckon he'd take as much as he'd leave...

By the way, have you discussed this with Mrs Low yet? What's she think??

Furby

Ohhhhhhhhhhh................New Zealand and Australia have been on my "to do" list for many, many years............ so don't tempt me!

Teri

Uh Furby...seeing as how you're DanG near 100 years old, you better go soon before you get too old!   :D :D :D

Quartlow

Quote from: asy on October 05, 2005, 06:21:25 PM
Quote from: Quartlow on October 05, 2005, 06:07:31 PM

Well, since ya put it that way...  Maybe you will need the container to reside in till ya saw yer own house. :D

I"m fairly sure Sigidi would come to the block and help ya out with a mill and some labour, only I'd reckon he'd take as much as he'd leave...

By the way, have you discussed this with Mrs Low yet? What's she think??

She doesn't get paid to think  smiley_eek_dropjaw Actually I mentioned it this morning and she said whats keeping us here?

just where do I look on a map to find it?
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Fla._Deadheader

Asy
  Them "little rounded stones" were once the beach. Might pay to dig around in Aus History, and see if there might be precious metals hidden somewhere in them stones.   :o Mum's the word.  ;) ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ernie

Asy

Bag up the stones and ship them to Sydney.  Up the road from me a guy has a quarry and it is a heck of a job for him to separate out the nice little stones but it is economic for him to bag them and pay freight to Auckland ;D ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Furby

Been thinking about this............
Is it possible there are more people cutting posts then just Bob?
You said there were others just taking what they wanted, maybe some saw Bob and decided to help themselves.

Also, a word of caution.............you don't have the place yet, right?
Don't get too many plans laid or hopes too high. ;)
Ya didn't tell the owner how much the trees Bob was cutting are worth did ya?
Price might take a jump then. ::)

Roxie

Those rounded pebbles are pretty!  I guess 50 acres out of 2000 isn't that much.  If ya use those stones around your plantings instead of mulch, you really cut back on the weeding! 
It's gorgeous there!  I saw the kangaroos in the pictures....is there any other wildlife?  Will ya still have lizards running through your kitchen?  :)

Note to Furby:  Can you say "Road Trip?"   8) 8)
Say when

asy

THere are Kangaroos all around the property but not so many on the property, it's too densely forested for them and the current owner has a bloody big dog... 

Lizards... Hmmm...  Well, If I could only have a 1ft long one I"ll be happy. There are Goannas on the property, the ones we saw sunning themselves on the road were only little ones of 3-4 Ft long, and since they grow up to 2m (6ft) long, I"ll take the little ones any day.

http://www.australianexplorer.com/australian_animals.htm There's more info here...

IF we get it, sounds like I'll put on the Southern Piggy Roast, with Jeff's permission...  Who's comin'? Queensland's fine any time of year!

Oh, and, Furby, no, I didn't tell the owner what the trees were worth!

sawguy21

That is a very interesting link. Oz has been on my must do list for a long time too (especially this time of year) and no, I'm not a hunnert years old like Furby :D

Furby

Quote from: Roxie on October 06, 2005, 07:03:41 AM
Note to Furby: Can you say "Road Trip?" 8) 8)

Sure can!
Just gonna need to barrow Harold's boat for this one! :o ;)
You and Cowboy Bob coming along ???

submarinesailor

Hey Asy,

Got a good map of Australia up and running. 

Are you actually in the Brisbane area or some where in between Maroochydore and Tweed Heads? This map shows all kinds of national forest in the Brisbane area.

BTW - One thing I leaned as a young sailor.  Thats never try to out drink an Aussie sailor.  Boy, my head hurts just thinking about that night in Pearl Harbor. ::) ::) ::)

Bruce/subsailor

asy

Hey Subsailor. I'm currently in the Brisbane area.

Where the block is?? hmm...  Classified info until it's ours...  :D

Suffice it to say I really LOVE the Sunshine coast.

sigidi

Sheese!!! Sunny Coast + 2000 acres = Donald Trump!!!

I dunno about over there, but down here the Sunshine Coast is the most expensive to buy and live in Queensland. (admittedly you might get Asy's farm for the price of a 4 bed in a nice spot in Sydney) But us up here don't care too much for those southerners ;D

Anyway fingers crossed for ya Asy

Roxie

Quote from: Furby on October 06, 2005, 11:38:53 AM

Sure can!

You bet we are!   8) 8)  Cowboy Bob won't find out until we make shore though.....he got no sea legs, but a little sedation will work fine!   We'll wake him up once we're on Asy's dirt!  :D
Say when

dail_h

Been thinking 'bout a trip down under,now that someone I sorta know almost has a place,it's more interesting. Checked that wildlife site,SHOOT,y'all got possums down there,if we bring our own grits,we'll have plenty of home foods.Maybe our good host could fix up some humble accomidations,and host tours in exchange for sawing ,'n loggin,'nsuch
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

sigidi

Hey Dail,

if'n you help tail an build, we can have your own little cabin in a week!!!

More than pleased to extend invites to all FF'ers in the event of any visitations down under. We don't have a house, (I'm on the first page of our building plans right now) but we do got 1 creek, 1 dam, 6 acres on a little hilltop, 16 alpaca, 11 dogs, 2 ponies, 5 kids (3 home full time)

So like Asy says, folkes could make a good trip out of it....

asy

Quote from: sigidi on October 06, 2005, 11:15:46 PM
we do got ... 11 dogs, 5 kids (3 home full time)

Wowwee!!! 

And ya fit them all into that tiny little cabin? Is it a tardis???

Seriously though, never a dull moment, eh?

sawguy21

Quote from: Roxie on October 06, 2005, 09:22:04 PM
Quote from: Furby on October 06, 2005, 11:38:53 AM

Sure can!

You bet we are!   8) 8)  Cowboy Bob won't find out until we make shore though.....he got no sea legs, but a little sedation will work fine!   We'll wake him up once we're on Asy's dirt!  :D
:D :D :D :D

Corley5

Is it a tardis???

8) 8)  Tardis= Dr. Who's time machine   8) 8)  Used to watch "Dr. Who" all the time on PBS when I was kid.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Dr. WHo was cool. It's actually been reincarneted in a new series. I don't like it as well though. ;) I see the good old doctor on a new PBS series, man has he ever gained weight.

dail_h

I can tail,alright,although probly not fast enuff to keep up, am ok at building,,but my tolerances may be too liberal for most,if it's within about an inch either side the line,I go ahead and nail it ,'specialy if it's cabinets,or trim ;D ;D.
   Might hafta bring my sleepin bag,wif that many bodies,in that small ofa house,I wouldn't want to impose on nobody's sleeping spot
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

asy

Quote from: dail_h on October 08, 2005, 12:29:54 AM
   Might hafta bring my sleepin bag,wif that many bodies,in that small ofa house,I wouldn't want to impose on nobody's sleeping spot

House???

WHat house???

WHo said anything about a house???

What do you think you guys are visitin for? It's a Houseraisin'...  :D

Gilman

Asy, nothing big, just have something along the lines of Dr. Kellog's early 19th century Sanitarium.  ;)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!