iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodshed

Started by Brian_Weekley, June 07, 2015, 11:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

Soon, we'll be putting up a small timber frame wood shed.  The sills will sit on a dry-fit stone foundation.  Unlike a building where the timber frame is sided and well protected from the weather, the wood shed will be more open and exposed.  Any slats applied would have gaps for air flow.  To help protect the frame, we're planning to put a protective coating on it.  Are there any recommendations for a good wood treatment (e.g., Thompson's Water Seal, etc.)?  Second, we were thinking it might be a good idea to add a 1x6 pressure treated board between the stones and sills.  Do you think a pressure treated board under the sills would add any protection?

This is our design...  It does have a lot of braces for the size, but the thought was the braces would help contain the wood stacks.

e aho laula

mrbrb

the new Thompsons is disappointing in my opinion, basically emulsified paraffin that doesn't soak in very well and dries to a flaky film.

for sure a layer of pressure treated under the sills. Your timber sills could also be treated with cuprinol, sold now as 'copper green'

timberwrestler

I assume that you've seen the woodshed design in the TFG's '14 Small TF' book?  It's pretty similar.

I think that the best protection for the timbers would be no finish.  Just good overhangs, and keeping rain and snow away from the sills.  Any treatment that you put on the timbers is going to need to be touched up at least every year.  Ideally use rot resistant timbers, or at least timbers with no sapwood.

And yes, I would add a piece of PT or white oak or locust or something as a mudsill. 
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

Jim_Rogers

I believe when you read any of those can's of "deck" stains or things like that, that they say "apply to dry wood". Your timbers won't be dry for many years.

What I have been telling people who buy green red oak trailer planks from me is what an old time painter told me. He said that before aluminum ladders all ladders were wooden. And most always out in the rain. To keep them good they would put a mixture of 50% turpentine and 50% boiled linseed oil on them.

If you read a can of boiled linseed oil it says "help prevent splitting and cracking off wood" it doesn't (usually) say "apply to dry wood".
What I think happens is that the water moves out and the oil moves in and takes it place so the wood stays moist and doesn't shrink up and crack.

The guys who have used it on their backhoe trailer planks like it and say it seems to make them last longer.

Be sure to use "boiled" linseed oil and not "raw". Raw oil can stay sticky or tacky for weeks.

Hope this helps.

Jim Rogers 
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Geeg

I agree with the linseed oil, would however use double boiled as it will dry faster. I used this on my whole timber frame and the drying time was days after the application.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

razor

I agree that Thompsons is a waste of money. It wasn't much good before it went "eco-friendly" but now it's just waxy milk.
I have had good luck with Sansin products on a few timber products. It's formulated to go on green timber and logs. So dry timbers not required. It is on the expensive side tho.
To protect against UV you need a coloured stain, the darker the better, no clear finish protects well against UV.
But yes, no applied finish will last forever. Letting your frame go gray naturally is the easiest option.

Dave Shepard

With good overhangs, I don't think you'll need any treatment. I cut a "porch" roof in 2010 and used red oak and ash. Still looks good.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BCsaw

Hey Brain, I think the pressure treated under the sill is a good idea. It is not "vintage" but will give you that little bit extra. Nice wood shed. Keep us in the loop on the build!! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Brian_Weekley

Thanks everyone for the feedback on finishing options.  I'm helping a friend build his first timber frame.  The back wall is 6 feet high and the front 8 feet.  It's 7.5 feet deep and 14 feet wide with at least a foot of overhang on all sides.  Theoretically, it will hold 5-6 cords depending on how high the wood is stacked.  I'll post some pictures when we put it up.  First, the foundation needs to be completed...
e aho laula

giant splinter

Brian,
If you can find a few railroad ties to use on the foundation between the sill plates and the stone it will help, I re-sized some on my mill and placed them on the stone foundation with the treated edges facing the stone and a nice flashing over the exposed upper edge. The treated oak ties are still in good shape after 12 years and the new owner of the property is happy.
roll with it

Brian_Weekley

We finally started assembling the woodshed.  We ended up putting 1x6 pressure treated wood between the stone and sills.  We have a few more rafters to finish before we complete the frame...

e aho laula

BCsaw

Looks great Brian. ;D

Be nice to see it when it is all finished.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

doctorb

Looks really nice.  With regard to the wood treatment, I would ask if you have a lot of carpenter bees in your area.  They love natural, even stained, wood surfaces but seem to leave the painted surfaces pretty much alone.  I'm no expert here, and it only may be a small consideration.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Brad_bb

If you don't mind it greying, leave it natural, just keep the water off of it.   Heritage Natural Finishes, who makes Landark Oil, a widely used finish on green timberframe timbers, also has an exterior finish.  I have not used it personally, but they do have sample sizes available.  Read about it here:
http://www.heritagenaturalfinishes.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

brendonv

Looks great. Is that in ct or your other property? 

I have plans to build one myself, amongst plans for other buildings on file.  :). I have a generous offer from a member to go thru things with me. I plan on cashing that ticket it and probably doing a firewood lean to.  8)
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dave Shepard

That sounds like a good offer. Squeeze all the information you can out of him. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

I plan too!  If things would just slow down for a minute

www.VorioTree.com

Brian_Weekley

Brendon,

This woodshed is going up at a friend's place in Salem, CT.  I'm guessing you might be referring to Raphael?  If you guys get together, I'd be game to come out for a day to do some timber framing!  You're not too far away from me.

Brian
e aho laula

brendonv

Cool! 

At one point i spoke to raphael, just never made it out there.

Id be doing a short trip to mass, to see Dave.

www.VorioTree.com

Brian_Weekley

Finally finished up the woodshed and got the tin roof on this past weekend...

e aho laula

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

Geeg

Bravo Brian!,

The shed looks great, job well done.

If you would like to share the plans, I would like to put this on my list of sheds to build.

Geeg
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Brian_Weekley

Thanks Brendon and Geeg.

I uploaded my Sketchup design to the TF Drawing and Plan Depository.
e aho laula

WmFritz

Very nice and thanks for taking the time to add the plans, Brian.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Geeg

Thank You Sponsors!