iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Relcaim to reuse

Started by Brad_bb, September 06, 2015, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

These Beech Timbers went from the Krell-French Piano manufacturing company in New Castle, Indiana built in 1900, to being deconstructed in probably the 90's and sitting outside for awhile and turning grey, to my barn for 6 years, to my resawing and planing it, to an oil finish in the last photo ready for use in a frame.  The trees these timbers came from were probably 100+ years old during the American Revolution.  A lot of nail pulling, broken screws and nails, broken off lags and bolts, staples, tacks, only found 2 bullets- deformed musket balls 4 inches from the center and tree continued growing around them.... Even though we were very thorough, we still hit a lot of metal with the sawmill bands. I paid in extra labor and bands. I know it cost me more than new material in the end.  Still, the material came out pretty good, it's got history, nail holes are character.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ozarker

Love that you repurposed those timbers, and really love how the beams came out once you did. Very nice!

Dave Shepard

They will look great in the finished frame. I think it's worth putting the extra effort into something that will last and be appreciated for a long time. What is that angular joint on the right side of the right timber, at the top of the post? I like your timber wrench in the background, too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

It's the to of a queen post.  It has a small tie beam that connects it to the other queen post, and a strut that goes in that angular joint.  Not my wrench.  I split the work between two shops and am working with them.  Too large a frame for me to do by myself.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

I thought it might be some sort of strut, but couldn't really tell just from the post.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

The timbers look great you can't beat that look and history .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

BCsaw

Love it! ;D ;D ;D

The ultimate in reduce, reuse and recycle.

Nice job Brad. You should be proud. :D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!