iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Burned Today

Started by wwsjr, March 16, 2013, 05:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Glad to hear you're looking at getting another mill. 3 phase power & you can do a number of interesting  things.  Way to go!  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

wdncno

Why don't you post a list of the hand tools you lost- most of us have extras and we could send what you need.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

wwsjr

Thank you wdncno and buck for the most generous offer.
I had stuff from 50 years of collecting, tools from my dad (ex. 2 old Lufkin folding rules) and father-in-law (ex. scratch awl, 16 and 14 oz hammers with wooden handles). I had 5 pages of tools listed on sheets submitted to insurance adjuster.
I have not had time to fully update, I will now. My shop was covered by homeowners policy. The shop was behind the mill shed and was never a part of my sawing business. After meeting with claims adjuster, it was decided the shop would be covered. I had never depreciated the building or anything in shop for the business. They decided to cover my losses for the building and contents. I received about 85% of the replacement cost for the tools I had listed. I can replace the 14 X 20 building with amount I received after depreciation was applied to settlement. The only real expense to me will be metal roof, concrete, and nails, I will saw all the wood to frame and complete walls. A friend who is a parttime sawyer has a WM LT40HD. He is moving mill to my place tomorrow for me to use as needed.  I am giving him a 4,000' SYP job I had waiting to be cut. I will use the mill while he is at his day job to cut what I need. I have the logs to cut for myself. The primary items I lost not covered were 70 blades, poly strapping with cart and tensioning - sealing tools, two chainsaws, small items like belt tensioning tool, and moisture meter. The sawmill insurance paid me the top end of the estimated Actual Cash Value based on WM Orange Book since it was serviced a week before and was in excellent condition. I will definitely consider replacement cost if I get another mill. I hope to receive the check next week. As I said in another post a friend delivered a dozier and rough terrain fork lift to complete the cleanup. He also picked up my tractor and is repairing it in his farm equipment manufacturing shop. Should get it back this week. For those who have send me a PM about parts, I hope to decide what I am going to do this week, could become a great mill extension with clamp and log loader. I will answer back to each of you. Guys at church are organizing a "barn raising" for me when I am ready to rebuild. WM is applying a discount if I buy new mill. I am going to TN to look at a used mill on Wednesday, could be an option.
God has blessed me all my life and especially now. Please excuse this long post but I wanted to keep all of you who have expressed concern informed.
Thanks to all of you.
Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

r.man

Don't apologize for the long post Willie, it wasn't. Glad to get the update and hear that things are going well for you all things considered. Sorry for your loss, especially the sentimental tools, but like you said it is just stuff. Good luck with the days ahead, boredom should not be a problem
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

pineywoods

Willie, just a suggestion. Since you will most likely be going electric, this would be a good time to consider the hydraulic setup like Bibby and Customsawyer. I have a smaller, simpler version and love it. Solves lots of problems and really isn't all that expensive..Friends and good neighbors are priceless, and sounds like you have both in abundance.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

wwsjr

I am not familar with their setup. I assume the hyd are powered with other than the 12V from the mill ? That sounds like a great mod.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

pineywoods

Quote from: wwsjr on April 07, 2013, 07:55:49 PM
I am not familar with their setup. I assume the hyd are powered with other than the 12V from the mill ? That sounds like a great mod.

Willie

Yep, 7hp elec motor (a bit overkill) driving a 7gpm pump plumbed into the regular woodmizer valve body. think Bibby even put an electric heater in the oil tank.. No contact strip, full hydraulics available 100%, no 12 volt motor/solenoid  maintenance problems. Think Jake has the single powerpack hooked up to the mill and the extension...I use a 2 or 3 hp motor driving a 3gpm pump to power the pineywoods hydraulic turner/clamp.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

Now that is a good update.  8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wwsjr

The burned mill frame went back home to Indiana yesterday. Forum member MM brought replacement axle, wheels, and tires, we dropped old axle, bolted on the new one so he could pull it home. He is thinking a rebuild as walk behind instead of remote with new sawhead.  He lives near the WM factory in Indiana. Thanks to all who have sent PM's and espressed concern and support. Jeff, check is in the mail.

Willie

beenthere

Forum member MM ......  I'm thinking Magicman. But he lives in MS, not near the WM factory in IN.  ??

Glad to hear you are home with the new mill, and can now recover somewhat from the fire.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

That's what you get for thinking. :D   MM is MM not Magicman  MM was a Wood-mizer employee at one time.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wwsjr

Sorry about that, I didn't think about Magicman when I posted MM as picking up frame.

Magicman

I just smiled because I knew that I did not have it and also remembered who MM was.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

:D
I'll catch up......... maybe some day.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MM

So glad to meet willie. His new mill looks good! long trip down and back. Drove thru heavy rain from Louisville to Nashville going down. Nice weather coming back! The mill is 11 miles from where it was "born". It will be "re-born"! I will take the mill apart and rebuild it from the ground up. 
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

Okrafarmer

MM could also be Meadows Miller, and I think there are some other MM's on here too.  ;D

I'm glad somebody is able to do something with the old mill.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!