iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About to order my first sawmill..

Started by janhalvor, April 18, 2013, 03:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janhalvor

With good help from the Forestryforum, I have finally decided wich sawmill i would like! Thanks alot everyone! :)

I found out that the Ez Boardwalk Jr would be perfect for me, so thats the mill I will order! I will be Ez Boardwalks  first customer in Europe! :)

I will order the Ez jr including the trailer package, 5ft track extension, 10 sawblades and a Logrite cant hook. I hope this equipment will give me a good start as a hobbiest sawyer!

There is two engine options on the Ez jr, the wellknown Honda gx390, and the Subaru Ex40. The Honda Hp output is around 11,8 and the ex40 is around 14hp. I know that Honda makes good quality engines, but I do not know anything about Subaru Robin engines. Have anyone any experience with this engines?
EZ Boardwalk JR, Volvo BM 430, MF 675, Pilkemaster Evo 36 firewood processor.

roghair

Congratulations on your choice! So you decided to order the whole package...
What are the shipping costs?
built a sawmill

Chuck White

janhalvor, Congratulations on your new mill purchase.

EZ Boardwalk is a very reliable mill, I'm sure you'll have many good times with it.

There are several EZ owners here on the Forum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

I do not have direct experience with the Subaru motor.
I do with the Honda products and they are very good motors

Subaru/Robin is a division of Fuji heavy industries
and I understand they offer/have a 5 year warranty.

I'm thinking More HP would be better IMHO

http://www.subaru-robin.jp/index.htm.

best DGDrls

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

millwright

We have the Subaru on a logsplitter, it is  very good running and very quiet.

janhalvor

Roghair: The shipping will be between 15-1700$.

I like the thought of having the extra 2hp the Subaru engine offer, but I might end up with the Honda anyway, since you can get spareparts to this engine everywhere. (Never seen a Subaru Robin dealer in Norway)

Po-Jo

janhalvor , CONGRATS , I too got the EZ Jr, with the 14 hp subaru, it does all I need and then some, and i really like some of the features Ed put into it, like the head lift , very effortless raising and lower the head,, pretty ingenius using a garage door assist spring for the lift, motor starts easily, quite and it has the electric starter on it if you want to hook a battery up to it for electric start, all in all I am very happy with the purchase

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ga Mtn Man

Good choice on the mill.  I got to run one back when I was first looking at mills and was very impressed.  Those EZ mills are very well thought out and sturdily built.  For what my opinion is worth, I think you should get the bigger engine.  You'll never regret the increased HP but you will frequently wish you had more.  It will likely be a very long time before you need parts for that engine and you can buy anything you need for it online. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Hud-Son Forest Equipment

"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Mountain State Farm

Welcome to FF and congrats on the new mill.

I have a Hud-Son HFE 36 with the Subaru EX 40, 14 hp engine and could not be happier. With that said, I love almost everything Honda makes. Both are great little motors and known for longevity. Like Ga Mtn Man said, all parts are online.

Whichever you decide, make sure you get electric start. 
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

AdamT

Congratulations! So when you going to finally place that order?
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

dboyt

Congratulations on the mill!  The hard part is going to be waiting for the shipment.  Hopefully you'll be able to use the time to get some logs decked up and ready to cut, a piece of land prepared, and maybe even a shed for it.  A key factor for any mill is a solid, level base to set it on.  I totally agree about power and electric starts!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

janhalvor

I'm att work att a drillingrig offshore at the moment, but I'll place the order as soon as I get onshore again. :)

I have plenty of time to prepare everything before I get the Mill, It might take as longs as 1 to 2 months from the day I place the ordet till I have the mill..

Electric start is very tempting, so I guess I need to add that option aswell :)

Regarding sawblades, how often do you need to sharpen your sawblades? ( I know it depends on lots things but..)

roghair

I am a newbe in this field to, but I was disappointed how soon a blade dulls. I saw about 4-5 logs with one blade.
built a sawmill

WDH

If your logs are kept clean (no dirt), you can figure about 400 to 500 board feet.  Maybe a little more if you are willing to slow down and cut slower.

Congrats on the mill  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodweasel

I'm confused as usual!,!woodmizer manual said to cut as fast as you could to save the blades!I thought slow would be better for the blades not fast! ??? and I'm sure fast means not dogging your  :Pmill but moving along at a rapid pace

Ianab

I may seem counter intuitive, but cutting as fast as the saw will reasonably cut is going to give better blade life.

Reason is that as the tooth passes though the wood it has to cut though all the fibres to remove material. The abrasion on the tip of the tooth is pretty much the same no matter how large a chunk of wood you are taking out . It's still got to slice though each wood fibre. Feed at a faster rate, cut slightly coarser sawdusts, and you cut more boards before the band dulls. Another way to think of it is the band might cut for (for example) 2 hours before it's dull. More wood you get cut in that time the better. Babying it though the wood wont stop the wear on the cutting tip, just give you less cuts before it wears out.

Obviously there are limits as to how fast you can cut. Engine power, blade tension, ability of the saw gullet to clear chips etc. If you try and feed faster than any of those limiting factors allow, then things go haywire fast.

Also explains why the bigger mills usually get more wood cut from the same blade. They have the power and blade tension to keep the speed up in the wide cuts. The blade has cut 200 bd ft on the small mill, or 400 bd ft on the bigger mill, in that same 2 hours. Smaller engine, you need to back off in the wide cuts as you are short of engine power. Once you start bogging down the engine and loosing blade speed, bad things happen.

But generally you should feed as fast as the mill is happy to cut. It will let you know if you are going too fast.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

Jan,how common are bandmills in Norway.?Band maintenance will be a real concern,would be nice to find a local supplier and a sharpening facility.Depending on your metal working abilities sharpeners and setters are not that hard to build.If the rig you work on has a good shop and your permitted may be a way to kill some off duty hours.Study videos of the sharpening equip. in operation and build your own.If your logs are clean you can cut a lot of lumber and consider bands disposable,but better to save the dull ones,and sdomeday sharpen them. Good luck on your mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

When I say slow down and cut slower, that is when your engine tells you that you have to slow down.  Either that, or change the blade.  You will see, oh, you will see.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

janhalvor

Thanks alot for all the replays!! :)

Bandmiller2: Bandmills are quite common in Norway, so hopefully it will not be a problem to find a company that can do the bandmaintenace for me. I think woodmizer have a resharpening service, but I think they will only do woodmizer blades..
I have also been thinking alot about buying my own sharpener, like the Ez boardwalk sharpener, but my budget cannot handle it right know..

janhalvor

Finally!

Yesterday I contacted Edward and ordered the EZ Boardwalk JR! :) I selected the Subaru engine with electric start, 5 ft track extension and some extra sawblades. The sawmill will be sent from EZ 13th may, and I guess I will have it here in Norway around mid June!

I can´t wait to get the sawmill home!! :)

Since I have never used an sawmill before, I have lots of things I need to learn.. I have been reading a lot on the Forestryforum, and I bought the "The edge of sawing" dvds from woodmizer to prepare myself. There is also a sawmill company close by, and they operate a Serra Bavaria portable sawmill, so I´m thinking about contacting them and ask if I could stay around a day when they are doing some sawing, just to see and learn.

HaroldSiefke

Good choice on the motor. I own a woodland mill and I put a 20.5HP Robin Subaru and really love it. It has been a great motor on my mill good luck and happy sawing..Hal
Harold

ET

Congrats on your new mill too!
Sorry I am late in replying to your info request regarding your choice of engines. I have hands on experience with both the Honda and the Subaru. You should be very happy with your choice.

After using the Subaru for 5 years on my splitter it has never failed me ever. But I also had a Honda engine on a high end pressure washer and had lots of starting issues. Once it started everything worked great but starting was terribly problematic.  Good luck sawing.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

drobertson

Straight cuts can be tricky, but if I were to give any advice,  look for cornmeal sawdust, if it packs and is fine as ground flour, the feed rate is too slow, blade selection, and log size will determine the feed rate, just remember, what the lumber will be used for, and don't always look for the "plained finish"   logs should be cut in my opinion, 6" over size in lenght so that end checks and the slight bowing can be dealt with before building.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

You will enjoy a sawmill and sawing.   ;D You will need a cant dog or a peavey. Logrite is a sponsor on the left.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Good news Jan,be aware the EZ will have "inch" fasteners and it would be good form to have some wrenches,sockets and allen wrenches before it arrives.Good luck,take your time,speed will come on its own schedule,enjoy the ride. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

janhalvor

While I´m waiting for my sawmill, I have plenty of other work to be done at my farm.. I have a big Pile of Birch that needs to be processed. This will keep me busy for some days, and the painful waiting time before my sawmill arrives, will be easier to handle :)

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, janhalvor, and congratulations on the sawmill.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

EZland

I hope a is well with you EZ Jr.  I have owned mine since September and love it.  Great little mill to learn on.....but I would say there is not much little about it.  I have milled amost 3000 board feet.  I will say get a good blade source for purchasing and sharpnering. I keep 12 blades on hand I rotate.  With about a 50/50 mix of blade sets for hardwood and soft.   Keeping sharp blades Makes a world of difference.  I use timberwolf blades , but you can get blades over there custom made I am sure.  Once they know the length it is EZ. 

As for blade lube I started using the standard mix for that EZ board walk recommended, but then switched to a water 80 %, pine oil 20% , dish detergent and bleach mix.  I hated the smell of the deseil and did not like spraying fuel every where. 

Lots to learn and these guys really helped on this forum.   But the real knowledge comes from expereince and time on the saw. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: EZland on June 17, 2013, 03:30:29 PM
<<snip>>
As for blade lube I started using the standard mix for that EZ board walk recommended, but then switched to a water 80 %, pine oil 20% , dish detergent and bleach mix.  I hated the smell of the diesel and did not like spraying fuel every where. 
<<snip>>

By "pine oil" are you referring to something like PineSol cleaning oil?  And how much dish detergent and bleach?

Thanks!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

EZland

Pien oil that use to be sold at Grainger.  I think Skillcraft sells it also.  I use the 40% or 60% and mix it in a 5 gallon jug.  I bought a bunch of it at a auction. 

1/2 to 1 gallon pine oil dpending on the concentrate
4 gallon of water
2 cups of dawn
2 cups of bleach.   

The Diesel smelled so bad and really made my wife mad when it was in the laundry.  You have to use alot more  of the water mix compared to the diesel/bar oil mix, BUT it is cheaper and smells better. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

janhalvor

Finally,

Today I finally got the sawmill home!! It has been over a month since I ordered it, so it was very good to get the sawmill home.
The Mill was in perfect condition, and everything that I ordered was there!

Tomorrow I will do the final preparation on the sawmill site, and hopefully I will be able to do the first test cuts tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to that!! :)

Nomad

Congratulations!  And about time it got there, too.  Good luck with your first cuts.  You'll never be the same again... 8)  And get somebody to take pictures!!! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!