iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Drying Oak & Pine from Nov. to May, Cut @ Huntingdon PA 16652

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, November 02, 2009, 08:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I need some Tips on Air Drying Timber that I will be cutting from Nov. through May 2010.

I need to know a lot of general stuff like slat spacing for 5/4 boards, what size ___ T. and With ___ of spacers.

How far apart are they ____ ?  Lets say,  I have  200 Qty. of  5/4 boards that are 4  to 8 inch wide and 12 feet long.  How sould I set up the stack and provide good support for the boards so they dry straight. Should I leave a small gap between each board.. say 1/4 inch or kiss them against  each other ?

Can I use concrete blocks for the bottom support foundation, asking because I have a lot of them ?  How level should I be with the 1st foundation support beams.. say a 1/4" or closer yet.

How high can I stack .. 5 or 6 feet seems about right for sliding the top boards in place without difficulty.

Looking for a moisture meter that is not big bucks but works well... and fairly accurate for the money.

Please give me your advice.   

Avery

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

ohsoloco

Here's how I stack most of my lumber now.  Saw this done by another member of the forum.  I level three 6x6's of something relatively rot resistant on the ground (can't really see those in the pic).  Place two 6x6's perpendicular to those (the way the boards will be running).  Then I place 4x4's down as a base for my stickers.  This is a stack of 4/4 spruce 12' long.  I usually use 6 stickers for each layer.  More is always better, but this works for me.  Concrete blocks would work good as a base too.  I leave at least an inch in between the boards in each layer.  Having your foundation level isn't as important as having it straight (in other words, not stacking your boards with a bow in them).  1"x1" stickers work well. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Ohsoloco, thats a good looking stack.  You and Radar67 must have read the same stacking book ;) :D

Avery,  If I were you I would just get one of these and make it easy on myself........
www.vacdry.com
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

James P.

fishpharmer, that could be a good idea depending on the time length of the lease required. If you had enough timber cut to run enough loads. I think energy requirements may be the deal breaker. Probably 3 phase.

ohsoloco

Thanks  :)  Yes, I put metal roofing on top of the stack.  That's why I mentioned the stack being level as not that important.  I actually like it when it has a little slope to it along its length...helps shed the water better.  If the stack is pretty level then I just use progressively taller stickers for the top layer to give it some slope. 

James P.

ohsoloco

It definitely helps to have some extra logs lying around to make all the timbers  :)  Had quite a few spruce that were either small diameter, or just wouldn't make good boards.  Just did a search for my inspiration, and it's member Brian_Bailey  ;) 

Thank You Sponsors!