iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my mini skidder build progress

Started by bigblue12v, October 10, 2015, 08:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblue12v

Started with a Vermeer V440 trencher, 60hp Perkins 4 cylinder diesel, 3 speed, Dana 70 axles, 31/15.50/15 tires, added hydraulic Chevron wrecker winch, built 3/8" log bumper, made my own fairlead rollers with 2.5" diameter and 1" shafts. Working on cage now. Have to work on blade, add saw scabbards, wiring and lights, etc. Due to short wheelbase I didn't go with an arch, lots of hilly terrain here. This thing might weigh 4000# when done, not sure. Plan to fill the tires also.
Thinking chain chokers will be my best bet for this machine?
Input welcome!
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

bigblue12v

Technical difficulties... I am not a fan of the photo process here!
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

bigblue12v

It's not so bad once I remember how to do it  :D

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Hilltop366

346xp

Looking good,that will be a handy machine 8)

tantoy

I like it. Do the rear wheels steer or only front? Maybe add some ribs to the apron for strength?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

bigblue12v

Thanks guys, front wheel steer only. I'm currently trying to fabricate a new lower control arm for the blade, it's overly complicated itself somehow... It was missing that piece when I got it and finding good pictures online is not proving to be possible, figuring out the geometry is tricky because I'm not sure how much up or down travel it originally had, and the cylinder I'm using is not the original lift cylinder and I'm pretty sure it's identical but have no proof. So it's like reverse engineering it trying to figure it out.

Also I'm not sure how much screen to add to the cage, I screened the back to protect against winch cable failure. Figured I'd put some on the sides also just not sure how much. I'm loving the looks of this thing! As soon as I get blade figured out I'll take it outside for pics in good light. Can't wait to get this thing out and see how it does!

lopet

Those old trenchers make some cheap mini skidders for somebody who has some fabricating skills. 8)
The 2x2 square tube for the receiver hitch i would have welded in flash. Good chance it gets dinged up and your hitch won't fit anymore and you would have to leave the trailer back in the woods. :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

Looks good. Make a place to tote a gallon of gas and oil. And have a box to put wedges and other tools in,don't forget a place for the saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OH logger

get a hold of autocar. he has one heck of a nice skidder he built out of the same type of machine you are startin with. his is pretty impressive.
john

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: bigblue12v on October 10, 2015, 08:54:46 AM
It's not so bad once I remember how to do it  :D

that a duetz garden tractor? looks able.

bigblue12v

Quote from: lopet on October 10, 2015, 06:30:06 PM
Those old trenchers make some cheap mini skidders for somebody who has some fabricating skills. 8)
The 2x2 square tube for the receiver hitch i would have welded in flash. Good chance it gets dinged up and your hitch won't fit anymore and you would have to leave the trailer back in the woods. :)
Thought about flush welding it but reaching under the bumper to pin it would be a huge pain. I'm not too concerned about it getting banged up, and I'm not going to be using the hitch for anything in the woods, just occasional spotting a trailer around my yard or whatever.
Quote from: thecfarm on October 10, 2015, 06:39:32 PM
Looks good. Make a place to tote a gallon of gas and oil. And have a box to put wedges and other tools in,don't forget a place for the saw.
Thanks, I've already got fuel and oil storage worked out and made saw scabbards just need to mount them. Definitely planning a small tool box which I have just haven't decided on place to mount it yet.
Quote from: OH logger on October 10, 2015, 07:27:07 PM
get a hold of autocar. he has one heck of a nice skidder he built out of the same type of machine you are startin with. his is pretty impressive.
Thanks I'll look him up! I'm always hunting for ideas!

[/quote]that a duetz garden tractor? looks able.
[/quote]
It's a Lawn Boy GT18H I converted to 4wd. Looks ams works factory :-D

Got screen on back and fabbed up a lower control arm that was missing for the blade, plumbed it all in, and tried it out. Pretty sweet! Has hydraulic angle too. Haven't put the steps back on yet, I'll need to notch them out for the cage uprights.

One gallon can on right will be for bar oil. These fit perfect and snug! Like they were made to go there!

Me with my lawn boy on back cover of magazine

bigblue12v

Quote from: OH logger on October 10, 2015, 07:27:07 PM

Did a gallery search and found his. Nice machine, I read his post on it before come to think of it.

azmtnman

That is one sweet rig!  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping I will make an effort to look you up next time I am back in your neighborhood! I'd like to see that thing in person.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

bigblue12v

Quote from: azmtnman on October 10, 2015, 10:46:44 PM
That is one sweet rig!  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping I will make an effort to look you up next time I am back in your neighborhood! I'd like to see that thing in person.

Thanks! Sounds good!

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

sandersen

"Make every step count."

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

bigblue12v

DeerMeadowFarm

Does the rear winch plate go up and down or is it fixed position? Looks good!

mad murdock

Looks real fine.  One suggestion, if you can fab a small arch with a horizontal roller on it, it will make things much better on the drag, as it will put more weight on the machine when you winch in, and go to drive out with a hitch on.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bigblue12v

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on October 12, 2015, 03:06:14 PM
Does the rear winch plate go up and down or is it fixed position? Looks good!
Fixed, and thanks!
Quote from: mad murdock on October 12, 2015, 03:27:35 PM
Looks real fine.  One suggestion, if you can fab a small arch with a horizontal roller on it, it will make things much better on the drag, as it will put more weight on the machine when you winch in, and go to drive out with a hitch on.
Been thinking about it, however this thing has less than 5' wheelbase and flat land timber is almost non existent here. Tractor logging winches are pretty similar to this and I compare this machine to a compact tractor, so I figure someone else has already done the homework. That being said I'd like to come up with a small adjustable or removable arch to try and see how it does with it. Come to think of it, I could make one out of square tube that would slide into the receiver hitch and pin to those tabs on the sides of the winch frame. That would be simple and removable quick and easy if needed.
Picked up gliders and chokers yesterday. Mounted the saw scabbards and put the steps back on. Primered all my bare steel and notched the lower fairlead bracket so the gliders might have better clearance if pulling straight up. I'm wanting to add a log grapple to the blade so I can pickup more nose weight and move things easier. In the last pic, where the orange level is propped up, I think I'll put safety screen from there to just behind the saws, and will put screen on the sides from hood to top of cage. Still need to find a place to mount a tool box and pickup some sheet metal for the roof, it will slope up over top of the original ROP bar in back.
Thoughts and input welcome as always. Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!