iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

That looks good! thumbs-up

I consider the power anywhere mod one of the best, most useful things that can be done.  As you say, using the power strip in tandem with the hydraulic anywhere mod gives you the best of both worlds.

It also has the added benefit off solving the power strip arcing issue, which is caused by working the hydros when the head is traveling.  So its of multiple benefit, and it allows and operator to make movements on the fly, at any time, even when the head is moving.  It allows simultaneous movements, instead of sequential, which really speeds things up.

One one my favorite techniques is to raise the backstops as soon as the head passes, when edging.  The backstops will keep the edgings from falling off the left side of the mill, assuming they are tall enough relative to the boards being edged.  Then I clear the edgings, and drop the backstops about halfway down the height of the edged boards with the mill head still on the far end, non power strip side, and then drag back all the edged boards to the roller table.  No more pulling edged boards back by hand.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

PAmizerman

@terrifictimbersllc I had trouble with my cables wearing through the coating so I had to put them in tubing to protect them.

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

trapper

MM where did you find the led tail lights to replace the originals on the mill?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: PAmizerman on March 15, 2019, 09:28:30 PM
@terrifictimbersllc I had trouble with my cables wearing through the coating so I had to put them in tubing to protect them.

There was a similar gouge in one of my three wires, maybe 8 ft back from the head-you can see where I taped it in one of the photos-I believe this happened with it catching a piece of wood falling into the tracks-but no wear elsewhere.  I do like the idea of putting the wires in a casing though. I'll keep this in mind if something else happens, thanks.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Quote from: trapper on March 15, 2019, 09:54:22 PM
MM where did you find the led tail lights to replace the originals on the mill?
Here is what I used:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR_Buck

Even before I bought my new LT40 Super-Wide I knew I was going to hate the gas tank arrangement.   I had seen the new EPA mandated tanks on the Woodmizers at a few shows and did not like the idea of having to fill up the tank, not only on the machine, but while on site milling for a customer.   I had an 2nd tank for my old LT40 that that could easily be swapped out when needed.    It didn't take more than once or twice spilling gas while trying to refill this new arrangement that I was serious about finding a solution.     First I ordered a new tank from Woodmizer.  Then I spent some time  trying to figure out the best way to mount a handle on it for lifting and carrying it similar to any regular gas can/tank.   Drilling holes to mount a handle was out of the question. So I had to find a better solution.  

I ended up buying a $5 barn door handle at the local farm store and mounting it on a strip of gray UV safe 1/4" thick PVC with counter-sunk machine screws.  The PVC strip was then attached on top of the tank with 4 extra long heavy duty (170 lb) UV safe tie-wraps.  ( the tie wraps did not work.   I mod'd the mod.  Jump to here for the update --  Updated MOD  )  In addition to countersinking the screw holes I filed notches in the PVC strip where the tie-wraps crossed to keep the handle from sliding end-to-end.

Then I added a set of quick-connect fitting to the fuel and air return lines so the tank can be pulled and swapped quickly.   The fittings came from US Plastics.   I could have gone with plastic to save a few bucks, but went for the better quality brass fittings.   I put the male fittings on the tank and the more expensive female fittings on the sawmill end of the lines.  That way I only needed to buy one set of the more costly ones.   You'll need one set of male fittings for each tank you do.  The fittings I chose are also "shut-off" when disconnected.  That way no fuel will spill or drip.   Below are links for each of the fittings I used.  

I suppose you could do this mod for a single tank and just remove it from the mill and fill it at ground level if you want to.  I'd rather have the 2nd tank ready to go.

Fittings

1/8" In-Line Hose Barb MC Series Chrome Plated Brass Insert - Shutoff | U.S. Plastic Corp.
1/4" In-Line Hose Barb MC Series Chrome Plated Brass Insert - Shutoff | U.S. Plastic Corp.
1/8" In-Line Hose Barb MC Series Chrome Plated Brass Body - Shutoff | U.S. Plastic Corp.
1/4" In-Line Hose Barb MC Series Chrome Plated Brass Body - Shutoff | U.S. Plastic Corp.

I haven't installed them yet because of the rain and mud but the metal box around the gas tank is removed and the modified tank will be held in place like on the older mills using the black EDPM tie-downs.  This will make swap out quick and painless.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DDW_OR

be careful, zip ties break.

I like Timberkings use of 5 gallon fuel cans used in boats

"let the machines do the work"

Magicman

The jugs and detachable concept looks good.

I would consider fabricating steel straps or use something like this:  STRAPS

Also a good bead of Goop underneath before tightening won't hurt anything. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

One of those would last on the mill till got home from the dealer.
I like the rubber bunjies that hold my approved gerry tank on my mill BUT you do need to pay attention and change them when they show deterioration.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Magicman on March 22, 2019, 09:28:54 AM

I would consider fabricating steel straps or use something like this:  STRAPS
I've considered something like this but I was thinking 1 to 2 inches wide.  If metal it probably should have a rubber sleeve under/around it as well  to prevent cutting into the plastic container.

RShober

I added an hour meter to my LT-28 yesterday. Sourced a meter from Amazon for less than $15. I used the yellow wire behind the ignition plate for my 12VDC source and grounded it to the engine.
Robert

DR_Buck

Quote from: Magicman on March 22, 2019, 09:28:54 AM
The jugs and detachable concept looks good.

I would consider fabricating steel straps or use something like this:  STRAPS

Also a good bead of Goop underneath before tightening won't hurt anything.

Ok, so based on Magicman's recommendation I ditched the tie-wrap configuration.   I found 1 1/2 inch wide 1/16th inch thick aluminum at the box store.    Took about an hour to make and install them on both gas tanks.  Still avoided anything that would require putting holes in the gas tanks.  
Here are the "new" finished results.

I added a couple 3/16 inch eye-bolts to hook the EDPM straps to.  They just went through the existing holes with fender washers on each side.

The straps I bought were 21" and are to long without crossing them.  I'll need to get a couple shorter ones on my next trip out.  Maybe 15 inch length then I can go straight over the tank.

Even without adding a 2nd gas tank, this mod lets you take the tank off the mill and sit it on the ground when it needs to be filled.    So much better than spilling gas everywhere.

Magicman

Now 100% approved!!!  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

To me the tank looks more captured with the straps crossed.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Very nice job you did.  smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

VERY well done!!

I will have a price on an aluminum tank today. Also found a small electric fuel transfer pump that fits a regular gerry can or those 20 Gal fuel totes, that pumps 4 gal per minute.  :P  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Once the customers stop I can get back to it . :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 14, 2019, 10:05:14 AM

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the photos.   smiley_headscratch

GAB

Quote from: DR_Buck on April 14, 2019, 01:53:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 14, 2019, 10:05:14 AM

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the photos.   smiley_headscratch
You are not alone.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Thinking it's where he sits. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I know exactly what I am looking at, just don't know the why(?) yet.  While sawing big logs, such as last week, I sometime sit on the seat back for a better view so I am wondering if the seat is being elevated.  :P

Lawg Dawg

Has anyone made a Jolly Trolly like the one in the beginning of this thread?
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Peter Drouin

Where I left off. The mill has no axle or wheels. Just making it easier to get on and off. The seat is lower now. I welded a footrest on there for now. I'm going to put it on the mill tomorrow and cut wood. Fab it to fit my butt.
See the cardboard on the right side of the seat in the first pix. I want to make side support there all padded like the seat.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Brad_bb

The problem with those vinyl covered seats is that they only seem to last a year or two before the vinyl is coming apart and then the foam starts coming apart.  I wish I could find someone that could cover/rebuild one that would last for 10 years or more.  I replaced the one on my forklift only a year and a half ago maybe with one from Farm and Fleet.  Now the vinyl is already quite shredded on the lower seat where you always slide your butt.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!