iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planting oaks

Started by OneWithWood, April 27, 2004, 07:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Well with everyting going on around here I have fallen behind on my planting schedule.  I still have 125 white and 100 red oaks to plant.  The seedlings ar 2-0 and are still in the moss and paper wrap from the nursery.  I keep them in the workshop out of the sun where it is relatively cool.  I thought I would save the planting for rainy days and mill on sunny days.  We have had a dirth of rainy days and now the seedlings are sprouting and putting on new growth :o
Do I need to drop everything and get these puppies in the ground or can I eait for the rainy days I know will eventually get here - maybe a week to 10days out?
These all need to be hand planted as the terrain does not lend itself to mechanical assistance.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Texas Ranger

I will gamble an answer here, and say that since they have broken dormancy, that what ever you do will have the same results.  Not very good survival.  Once dormancy is broken the plant is very susceptible to die off after planting.  With that said, get em in the ground as soon as possible.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

As Don says, Plant them as soon as possible for best results as it will be harder for them to adjust to the planting site conditions. You may need to water them some if soil is dry.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I agree also, bare-root seedlings need to be planted before they break bud or survival will deminish as the shoots elongate. Those shoots will be tender and very susceptible to drought.

plant'm or loose'm ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

alas, you can strengthen them shoots with a bit of K?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

SwampDonkey

redpowered

Wouldn't recomend K when planting bareroot, it can cause water stress, as fertilizer is a salt.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

I solved the issue by giving the trees to the neighbors and friends would could get them in the ground immediately.  They are happy, I have less to get done, and hopefully the trees will survive.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Scott

A "timely" solution. Well done!  :)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!