iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using a reefer 53' trailer for a kiln

Started by RHartsoe, November 03, 2012, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHartsoe

I have a 53' former refrigerated trailer which should make a good kiln.  Does anyone have guidance or plans for converting it to a kiln?  I have a small bandsaw mill and cut burls, table tops, etc.   Never done anything with a kiln before but now I have retired and want to give it a try.
Bob

Al_Smith

I have no directions on how but there was a local guy that had one .He used a household dehumifier and fans .I guess it worked fairly well .

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

jcbrotz

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on November 03, 2012, 10:21:26 PM
NYLE has experience and advice.

Give nyle a call They can help you with better advice than I can ;D but the gist of it is for my l200 I am trying to set up, you use 40 foot kiln 5 fans and somehow seal up sides and the top to stop airflow. I am using plywood for the top and probably the airduct that was in the reefer top for the sides of the stacks. Hopefully I can get the reefer behind my garage and on the ground soon but am getting impatient so I might just level it up till srping in the lawn and dry some lumber ::)
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Leigh Family Farm

With the refer unit you need to make sure that all the rivets are well sealed. What tends to happen is they come loose from being on the road, but still work for the refer's purposes. Some spray foam and caulk should do the trick to seal it up tight. There should be a vent by the refer unit and one on the trailer doors, which should allow for proper temp regulations. I would build a small 2x4 frame wall to hold my fans to keep the air circulating inside the refer.

Is the refer on wheels or on the ground? Thinking about loading problems...

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

RHartsoe

the reefer is on wheels and I will probably use my backhoe to dig out a place to back it into and leave the wheels on in case I want to move it.  Also, if I leave the wheels on it will not be considered a building and will not increase my real estate taxes.  The unit is well sealed and I will have a ramp to the back doors.   I have several Lineberry factory carts and was thinking about using 4 of them for a platform base so I can load the platform at the back doors and move them forward.  I would use a winch to move them back and forth.    Would the dehumidifiers need to be placed near the ceiling?  Would it need a heat source?  what temp should be maintained?  I was thinking of using one lp unvented wall heater at the door end with a thermostat.  they put out a lot of heat when needed for the small gas usage.  I would use one house dehumidifier at each end with a hose ot run the water outside.    I was thinking of just a small squirrel cage fan at one end to bring air in with a vent on the other end for the air to go out.   I already have the materials to do it this way if it will work.
Bob

Leigh Family Farm

I don't know enough about kiln operation to help you out with the setup of the refer unit. As said above by others, call the NYLE company and get their input. Best of luck and post some pics if you get around to building it.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

roundwood

Hey, I'm in a similar situation, I have a refridgeration container and would love to kit it out to be used as a kiln, but like yourself I'm totally in the dark with all this stuff, I'm a long time follower and a first time poster to this Forum and would very much appreciate any info I can get,
Roundwood

beenthere

roundwood
Welcome to the Forestry Forum   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!