iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Could have been painfull

Started by okmulch, June 30, 2014, 08:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okmulch

I was sawing some 3/4 cedar paneling for guy last week and what pops out of the cant....

I have had a lot of things crawl out of logs but never a scorpion. Apparently I sawed it's stinger off luckily!! Then I looked again and it had all these spots on it.
Never had seen a scorpion with babies on its back.  It was hard to get a picture,it kept crawling to the underside of the board.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

WDH

First Yellowhammer's poison ivy log.  Then, there was the Snakes on a Mill thread.  Now this.  I may have to give up sawing  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

I bet it was painful ... for the scorpion.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I'll bet okmulch killed the whole family with one whack.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

When i lived in Central Texas, I would get stung 3 or 4 times a year while loading the mill or moving the slab pile. I had a manual mill then and basically no equipment except the two legged donkey.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

Never seen one, pretty sure I would have smacked it,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Weekend_Sawyer

Yea, for me, many animals and bugs get a pass but NOT that one! :o
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

slider

They give me the creeps too.
al glenn

Ianab

Bonus about living in NZ, NO scorpions
Also
No snakes.
No crocodiles
No Bears
No Wolves
And the couple of poison spiders are rare and seldom deadly.

Doesn't mean that some creepy critter wont jump out of a log, but at least it wont kill you.  :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

That one needs to go fishing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on July 01, 2014, 07:38:02 AM
That one needs to go fishing.   ;D

Know what you would catch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O9YWldaiBQ

That's in our back garden. For some reason it's had 300k Youtube hits  :-\  :D

We just feed it chicken and bacon scraps.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tcg

Usually creepy crawly things don't bother me but I hope I don't see another deer tick.
I was diagnosed with Lyme disease about 3 hrs ago. The old joints feel much older waiting for the antibiotics to kick in over the next few days..
I was fortunate it was an early diagnosis. Please be vigilant out there it is not a pleasant experience.

Tom

samandothers

Hope you get to feeling better soon there TCG!

YellowHammer

This family of cute critters isn't as nasty as those scorpions, but there were rooting around my sawmill just the same, maybe looking for some scorpions or crickets to eat.  I think I was more startled than they were, they just puffed up and sauntered off.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Mt406

Just Ticks and Rattle snakes here in south west MT.
Had a mouse hiding on the mill last week, after 10 mins of sawing he panicked and ran out on the controls saw me and jumped into the blade. It was quick, and he didn't saw off his tail.

WDH

Robert,

Looks like y'all came to an understanding without having to say a lot  :D,.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

Quote from: WDH on July 03, 2014, 07:30:10 AM
Robert,

Looks like y'all came to an understanding without having to say a lot  :D,.
Or smell a lot.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!