iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sometimes u cant win.

Started by semologger, May 26, 2008, 09:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

We had three saws blow up on us this week. Two of them was a 372  husky one we had for 5 years. the other was a from a guy that works for me got from his dad. then a couple of days later our 45 husky blew up on us. The next saw we get will be a Still. We just have not had any luck with husky for the last couple of years

jokers

Jeez Semo, sorry to hear about your misfortune.......but to complain about a five year old 372 biting the dust, and then a 45? How long since they made them? She got a few hours on the clock? Three saws in one week though, I`d have to be looking at all of the possible causes and not just the brand.

Tom

Yeah, that sounds like an interjected malady to me.  When stuff goes to H. in a handbag all of a sudden, something is different.   I be looking at gasoline, oil, tuners or something.   While it could be coincidence, it sure seems strange.

I'm beginning to have starting problems with my Huskey 61.  Part of it is my inability to pull the cord, but others are having the same problem.  I don't understand it.  It's only been in service since 1993.  :-\  If I can't fix it, I might just have to get another Huskey.  I never owned a Stihl.  The wife just bought herself a Poulon.......sheesh..!   My biggest problem is that I've lost track of models.  Even the dealer network has changed.   It seems that whole world changed while I was quietly being satisfied with my 61 purchase.  :D

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

semologger

Im sorry its a 455 rancher. The lower end messed up on it. I think the rod messed up on it. The 372 it just had no more compression. Then the barrowed one it ran hot and melted the rings to the piston. It was only ran for about 4 trees. It was a used saw when His dad bought it.

We had a poo land one time. Just for topin off the truck. Our friends that cut about 10 thousand feet a day of logs always mad fun of us. But hey its better than swinging an ax.

Tom

This has nothing to do with anything.  I just thought I'd tell it.

When I started my business, I did it with a Mac. It did a good job and other than fighting the oiler and it not being very comfortable to use, I liked it and had no complaints.  When I got a chance to spend some money on a Huskey, my customers treated me differently.  All of a sudden, I was a professional.  Image means a lot regardless of what folks say. :)

John Mc

Quote from: semologger on May 26, 2008, 09:38:04 PM
We had three saws blow up on us this week.

Were they all fueled from the same source?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

zopi

getcha a stihl 660 with a 20" bar...it's like buckin' wood with a funny car...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

semologger

No we used different gas. Just sometimes it rains and pours. We had problems with the 455 since it was born. Went thru 4 oiliers on it. I wasnt glad to see it go cause of the money. But part of me was happy.
Its been in the shop more than we have had it.

John Mc

I only asked about the fuel because we've had a few guys have problems here as the ethanol-blend gas became more prevalent.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Quote from: semologger on May 26, 2008, 09:59:21 PM
Then the barrowed one it ran hot and melted the rings to the piston. It was only ran for about 4 trees. It was a used saw when His dad bought it.

Now please pardon me for being a smart alec but just how does one melt a set of steel rings in an aluminum piston ??? ???

TexasTimbers

This has absolutley nothing to do with the brand name on those saws. The fact that you are electing to stop your thinking process at the label is what ought to give you pause for concern. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ARKANSAWYER

The gas in MO has more alcohol in it.  If you got some E85 you will find it hard on a saw.  Also the alcohol makes the oil mix seperate.  They will burn up if the mix is not right.  It is a bad run of luck but I have always had good luck with Husky's.
ARKANSAWYER

Don K

I believe Husky, Stihl and others are just alike. Most of the lighter consumer saws are one step away from junk. I have a new 359 I bought last year and it is holding up well but I have a husky  that my Granddaddy had when he retired in 82 that will crank and cut today. Hard to get parts for. It was even sunk in the river in my Dad's truck for about a month  many years ago. Now that is a quality saw. I wish I had a Ben Franklin for every bdft of log it has cut.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Don K on May 27, 2008, 02:28:04 PM. . . . It was even sunk in the river in my Dad's truck for about a month  many years ago.  . . .

That's what I want to hear more about! How the truck ended up in the drink! ;D 8)

zopi

Quote from: Don K on May 27, 2008, 02:28:04 PM
I believe Husky, Stihl and others are just alike. Most of the lighter consumer saws are one step away from junk.
Don

Nah..Stihl is better. lol

As far as I'm concerned, all the lighter consumer saws ARE junk..won't stand up to anything like work.

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dodgy Loner

I find Stihls more comfortable to use, but performance-wise, I don't think there's much difference.  I cut and sold firewood for 4 years with my dad's Stihl 029 that's older than I am ;D.  Finally upgraded to a 390 a couple years ago and I've been very pleased with it.  It's one step below their "professional" models, but for someone like me who's just earning a little spending money on the side it's been great- it hasn't so much as hiccuped.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Don K

Kevjay, I think it was 85. That was the model of dad's new truck to replace the diver. It was a 73 Chevy 4X4 with a 3 speed on the column. It had developed the habit of creeping back on you if you parked on a steep hill. Daddy had been crappie fishing by himself and had came back to the landing to load the boat and come home. The landings on the Alabama River in my neck of the woods are extremely steep with deep water right off the end of the ramp and swift currents.

He had backed the trailer into the water and had gotten out to get a rock to put behind the rear tire while he went about the business of loading onto the trailer. Heard a loud ping as he bent over to get said rock and looked back up and there goes truck and trailer into the river. No AC so both windows were down. Under she went and then like a breaching whale he said the backend of the truck came out of the water minus the trailer, it had popped off the hitch. He said she dipped a coupla times and slid outta sight like the Titantic. The current was carrying downriver as he could see the bubbles. Soon the spare tire popped to the surface as it was under the tool box on the back that had the husky in it. There was a old guy bankfishing that gave him a ride to the closest phone and Mom went and got him. Had to leave the boat overnight.

He went and bought a new trailer the next day and got his boat. Had some long metal pipes and probed around and finally hit metal. Run the anchor through and snagged something. Used the winch on my Granddad's truck and pulled up the boat trailer. Both were sunk in 25 to 30 ft of water. Never did locate the truck. A month later a fisherman that heard about it was up there and had one of those newfangled paper chart recorders. Drawed that truck out pretty as you please on the bottom up against a underwater ridge. Daddy contacted some local recovery divers and we met them at the landing. Mind you this was 1 month later and spring rains had the river up and muddy. We went out in the boat and set a anchor line from shore. The diver went out holding the rope, couldn't see his hand in front of his face. Swam right into the drver's front tire. Got a cable from a big wrecker hooked around the front axle and up she come. I won't ever forget what that truck looked like breaking the surface. Took her home, ripped out the seat, drained the oil, flushed the gas tank, put in new plugs and pulled her off with me sitting on a bucket. You talk about some bad smoke. cleaned the saw up and fired her up too. Those chevy's and Husky's used to be the real thing.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

TexasTimbers

;D

"Sir, are you the owner of the truck that's in the bottom of the river?" If it went anything like that I bet your dad was speechless for a little while before the elated part, when the fisherman called. I also bet you will never sell that saw. I would make sure both the saw and the story get passed down and stay in the family. ;)

I knew when I read your reference to it, that it had to be a great story. You did a fine job of the telling of it too. Thanks. :)

breederman

"No sir, not my truck, no way, why would I park my truck in the river? Nope not my truck." :)
Together we got this !

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: breederman on May 28, 2008, 02:08:22 PM
"No sir, not my truck, no way, why would I park my truck in the river? Nope not my truck." :)

Maybe Don's dad was trying to get into some of that underwater logging like FDH used to do...

zopi

Heh...let's see ya put a parking ticket on the windshield...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

semologger

Ive had the pleasure of meeting a few cops that would try.

I love the water but i dont think i would like to try under water logging.  At least it would be cooler than the 100 degree sun.

SawTroll

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 27, 2008, 02:48:00 PM....
Finally upgraded to a 390 a couple years ago and I've been very pleased with it.  It's one step below their "professional" models, but for someone like me who's just earning a little spending money on the side it's been great- it hasn't so much as hiccuped.

That step is a very long one....... ::)

:D :D

.......actually it is two steps, as the 270/280 is the step between.
Information collector.

Tombstone

Semo called it a POO-LAND and I am still laughing!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Thank You Sponsors!