iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new stihl 260 pro

Started by hazard, June 17, 2008, 04:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazard

I bought this saw a month ago but didn't get to really use it until last weekend.  My purpose in buying this saw was to get a powerful light limbing saw.  I have owned a stihl 044 for 12 yrs and for the most part it is the only saw I use.  Regardless if I am dropping trees or cutting them up.  Over the years when I am limbing trees I get so tired using the 044.  I thought it was about time I bought something lighter.

When my parents owned an apple orchard they had an old stihl 026 which I really like.  Overtime the traded that off for a stihl 025.  I thought this was a big turd.  Underpowered compared to what I was used to.

So on Saturday I helped a friend cut up a few trees that landed on some wooden fences from when the storms in WI went thru.  I cut for maybe 1.5hrs without any fatigue.  The saw was a joy to use.  I found myself making slight mistakes though.  Because the saw was lighter I wasn't as careful as when using the 044.  That got corrected in a hurry.

One thing I noticed was that it was alittle harder to start compared to my 044.  Cold or Warm.  It would take 2-3 pulls when the saw was warm.

Anyway, I think this is a good saw and I made a wise choice.  I could of gotten away without the decompression switch but the pro was all that this place handled.  It was a matter of convienance and I decided not to go somewhere else.  I hope to have many years of cutting with this saw.

Chris

beenthere

I would expect the warm starts will improve with a few tanks of gas through it. My MS361 new was a bit disappointing on the number of pulls on warm start. But that was not a problem for long. Very happy with the saw now (after 4 years).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmilllawyer

Good to hear about the new saw, been looking at the 260 Pro lately. Thanks for the review.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

gumnut

Yes indeedy, you made a good choice. My 026pro is one of my favourites. Hopefully yours gets a tad easier to start!

hazard

I have around 3hrs of use on the saw and hopefully it will get easier to start.  I am so used to my 044.  Maybe I am expecting more then I should.

I am not regretting the amount of money I paid for the saw at all.  It was a dream to use.

Chris

sawguy21

I am not a Stihl guy but have to admit I like the 260. Light, smooth with good power and balance
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Try to start it in just the "on" position when warm, not "fast idle" (as the manual says).
Information collector.

sawguy21

I find my saw starts easier on the fast idle when warm, usually one pull.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hazard

Well there I go.  I never read the manual.  I have been using stihl saws for 14yrs now and I have never started a warm saw on anything but on the on position-one click down.

beenthere

Quote from: hazard on June 19, 2008, 03:33:37 PM
........................ and I have never started a warm saw on anything but on the on position-one click down.

Same here too...don't like to be starting on fast idle, when slow idle start is possible (warm saw).
I figure the saw isn't running right if fast idle is needed to start it when warm. I start looking for the problem...fuel, ignition, carb setting...??

My take on the manual comment (start warm on fast idle) was meant for a saw while breaking it in..before it starts runnin good.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

It sounds like it's getting a little too much fuel when warm. You could try turning the idle speed up a bit or turning  the low jet in a little or if it has decompression try it without it. You can turn the low jet in untill when you crack the throttle and it wants to kill then back out untill it accelerates good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!