iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inlay strips

Started by Larry, November 19, 2004, 04:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I had friend ask me how I make my inlay strips.  It's a little confusing until you do it a few times so I told him I would take some pictures next time I ran some.  Thought I would post a picture here.  

Scrap walnut, ash, and cherry.  At the top you can see how I glue up the blank and slice the strips off.  Pushed together a few strips at the bottom just to see the different patterns.  The pattern on the lower right was the winner.  I'll resaw the blank about 1/8" thick by 30" long and it is going for trim around a bar.

Don't take much talent or skill but really shows off the beauty of our native trees.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

breederman

Together we got this !

isawlogs

Nice work..... 8)

??? What type of saw are you running Mr. Copas, If you don't mind me asking..... :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brian_Bailey

Larry, nice work!  

I think your holding back on the talent and skill aspect of making those though  ;)!

I also like the image of the saw blade in its kerf and the blade's shadow. I think that image would make a nice inlay in the right spot.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

WV_hillbilly

Pretty awesome Larry .

I didn't know you dabbled in artwork like that .
Hillbilly

fstedy

??? Are you gluing up the cutoffs before or after resawing ??? Very nice work. Are you using a fixture and a verticle bandsaw when cutting to 1/8"  ???
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

WoodSmith

Beautiful piece of work
How does that blade system work, is it like a cantilever type setup? Do you move it manual or is it powered?
very cool 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Norm

Very nice Larry, your picture taking skills are right up there with you woodworking skills.

Larry

Isawlogs & WoodSmith – The saw is nothing special...just a underpowered Delta contractor saw with a home made cutoff sled on top.

fstedy  – Yeap, the cutoffs are all glued into a solid block before slicing the 1/8" strips.  I mostly use an ordinary shop bandsaw with a fence to re-saw.  If the strips aren't to wide I sometimes use the table saw as it is a lot faster.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawwood

There is a web site that has a program to help you make
 the lamination strips. I use it to make my bowls and plate
 with designes in them.

www.woodturnerpro.com

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

SwampDonkey

Kewl stuff Larry. I've been lacking ambition to get at my wood projects, and its now getting cold in the shop. I don't trust the flu for a fire. I should have time this April-May to get on the ball. You fellas make me dream, woodworking. :)

I booked your link sawwood, kewl
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!