iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need some help in job seeking

Started by begbie, January 30, 2005, 09:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begbie

hello everyone

I am new on this forum. I registered to be able to discuss with people who are or aim to be working in forestry. I am currently looking for a job after my Msc Forestry at Aberdeen University, in Scotland. The best for me would be a job as a trainee forester but I'll be happy to start by doing anything connected with forestry. Study are something important but the best school for a forester is the forest, is'nt it ? Working in the field will teach me more than years seating on a bench in a classroom. Any advice ? comments ? help ? ... job ?

Jeff

Wecome begbie. eventually some of the right people will see your post and give you some feedback.  I just wanted to welcome you to the Forestry Forum. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Me too!  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Can't give you any advice on job hunting that is directly associated with your studies, but, you have the right idea, Keep Your Hands Dirty.  :D

Phorester

Welcome to this forum, begbie.  What is a Msc degree in Scotland?  Is this a 2-year , 4-year, or post graduate degree?

I'd suggest you browse through some of the threads in this forum, particularily in the "Ask a Forester" and "Forestry and Logging" folders. Although geared mostly to forestry in the USA, you can get some insight into philosophies and forest management in general.

Don't discount classroom work too much.  that's where you learn the basics.  The flip side is, some foresters think that's all there is too it.  The classroom learning has to be applied to the realities of the forest.

You're gonna find that forestry is working with people just as much if not more than working with forests.

Frank_Pender

Welcome to the Forum, Begbie.  You might check in with Mike at the Orgegon Small Woodland Association.  He is from your neck of the woods.   Mike is the executive director for us small woodland owners for the State of Oregon.  You can go to either our web site by typeing in Oregon Small Woodlands Association or direct e-mail at OSWA@OSWA.org

Other on the Forum may be interested in visiting our web site as we have a number of new and interesting things happening in Oregon; especially since the legislature is in session.
Frank Pender

begbie

thank you all for your answer.

to Phorester : a Msc is a Master of Science, a 5 years degree (postgrad') / thank you for the help.

to Frank : thanks for the tip about Oregon. It happens that I have spend one year in Bend few years ago as an aupair, so I know the area. I 'll visit the website you mentioned.

Cedarman

Welcome, and it looks like you are getting a good start.

Do research on where you would like to work. Then research those companies to see what makes them tick. Know the company before you apply. Then let them know that you are ready and willing to help them make money. That by making them money you wish to secure your job and do well for yourself. This is just general philosophy stuff that worked for me. And now that I am an employer, it really gets my attention when an applicant says they are here to help me make money.  The more I make, the more I have to share.  If I don't share, I'll lose a good employee.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!