iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pettibone master 5 skidder any one useing them would like to talk to some users

Started by jocco, April 29, 2011, 08:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stang51D

Here it is split, with all of the pins and bushings out.  The holes were wore some and a little egg shaped.

Of the 3 bushings for each hold, here is 2 of them.  The one I hade to make is welded in to take up for the slight egg shape, the spherical bushing is in and ready for the pins and going back together.

Here it is after its back together, with the 3rd bushing, the spacer washers, and the pins in.  The pins are 1 1/4" gr 8 bolts that have had 1/4" taken off the head and drilled for grease.

Now to start building the new blade.  The old one is a disaster, the new one will be way better then trying to save the old.

bushmechanic

That will certainly tighten her up good. Two steering rams I see that's a bonus on an old skidder.

coxy

Quote from: Stang51D on August 05, 2015, 07:58:06 PM
Center pins are in, snug as a bug.  Also replaced the blade cylinders.  They had been replaced at some point with some farm cylinders that were shorter, then cobbled on to make them long enough.  Found some nice new welded ones on ebay for a good price.  Changed those and the outside hoses going to them.  The winch control lines were wasted.  Still holding but very bad shape.   Changed them out.  Then looking it over, i noticed that the bolts holding the front rearend in the trunion were really loose, letting the rearend move around.  Have the new bolts for it and may get them in tomorrow evening if I have time.   Moving right along, oh, and started on the 501 mountain goat today.  I picked it up a while back to tinker with and get up in shape to use in the woods as a backup skidder or a loader for small bunches of trees.  It will be a working girl, the master 5 is a restoration.
just be vary careful with the hi-lo forward reverser case the parts are vary hard to impossible to find for the 501 that's why I sold mine I have a lot of planetary parts I think 4-5 5gal buckets full with a few axles the guy would not give me a little extra for the parts so I keep them  I had my 501 for 13years  the brakes suck on them they are a small round pad that will not stop you going down hill   i put a caliper off a 300 case skidder on there and made a huge improvement  would like to see pics of the 501 if you could   thanks

barbender

I don't use my 501 much, but if I did some kind of brake improvements would be in order. I was dreaming of putting a hydra-boost pump or something on there, man you have to stand on that pedal hard to do anything >:(
Too many irons in the fire

coxy

that's why I put a different caliper on mine you can use every thing else a booster wont help tried that  :) the pads are to small

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Stang51D

So far, this is what I have done to it.
New center pins
New blade
New screen
New blade cylinders
New battery box
New seat
Most hoses new
Rebuilt hydraulic valves
Re drilled and tapped the hyd tank mount
Switched it to a spin on hyd filter
New fuel pump
New wheel seals
Tightened up wheel bearings
Repaired rusted out wheels
New exhaust
New tunes in the tires
New, modern alternater
New cable rollers
New gauges
New fuel line
New plugs, wires, cap, etc
Replaced one lifter that was bad in the engine
Straightened a few things
Rebuilt steering lever
Rebuilt winch control unit
Most u joints replaced
New battery
Added a cat master switch
Lots of new bolts
Rewired
Sand blasted and painted
New decals, including the ones I had reproduced that my grandpa put on his machines.

Thank You Sponsors!