iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New log landing ( small scale style )

Started by Quebecnewf, September 25, 2018, 08:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Built this log landing on the river bank yesterday . We will be loading logs onto it over the winter . Then rolling them into the water come spring to raft home to the mill . 
We cut one log and placed it so we have a start on next years logs .

Quebecnewf

dustintheblood

"Work smarter not harder" is something you've got down pat eh!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Quebecnewf

As you get older if you don't work smarter your doomed. With the slight slope on this landing gravity will put the logs in the water for us . It's free , it never fails and it's a lot stronger than our older arms .

Going to build another next to this one as soon as we move the last turn of logs home to the mill.

Pic of a paddle we took up the river . Very low water 
Quebecnewf

thecfarm

Hope to see more pictures on this thread as the ramp is loaded. Want to see the release ones too.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

Going to have to wait until winter to see it loaded. Then wait until next spring to see it unloaded.

We have one more to build just next to this one . Hope to get that done in the next week or so 

Quebecnewf 

g_man

Your pictures are always interesting. Glad you post them.

gg

thecfarm

For once I am looking forward to winter. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sealark37

Glad to see that square-head planer hasn't beaned you yet.    Regards, Clark

bushmechanic

So I guess you can't depend on the ice bridge any longer Quebecnewf? Looking forward to the launch!

Quebecnewf

Quote from: sealark37 on September 27, 2018, 02:54:13 PM
Glad to see that square-head planer hasn't beaned you yet.    Regards, Clark
No the planer is running well .i have since that rebuilt a second one . Will move it to mill come spring
Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Quote from: bushmechanic on October 06, 2018, 07:31:50 PM
So I guess you can't depend on the ice bridge any longer Quebecnewf? Looking forward to the launch!
The last two winters our ice bridge has been pretty good . We have taken steps to combat " a no ice bridge winter" . We have built a winter cabin on the mainland . We move to it as soon as we start logging. If there is no ice bridge we stay there for weeks at a time . If the bridge forms we still use it on a regular basis . It is closer to where we cut logs so it saves driving and gas . We now float home 75 % of our logs ( 100% if no ice bridge ) so we have all the bases covered. You have to adapt or die .
Quebecnewf 

mike_belben

So who owns the trees you cut?  It sounds like a remote enough area that you just go do what you need to do.  No?
Praise The Lord

Quebecnewf

We cut on crown land . Used to require what is called a CAAF . A type of permit . After about ten years of getting a CAAF every year the gov. Decided that there is " no commercial forest" in the area where we live so therefore they could not issue a CAAF to a person cutting in an area where there are no trees. 

So now we cut trees where there are no trees and with no permit .

You can't argue with the gov. about that type of thing. 

So the pic above is not logs and they were not cut from trees in this area.

Quebecnewf 

47sawdust

So you are cutting imaginary trees! That must be a lot less work,huh. ;D ;D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Riwaka

Considering people get done for taking firewood without permits in Quebec, think I would find a way of getting a caaf for 2018 or an extension to the 2017 permit etc ( or what has replaced it).

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/792673/vol-bois-braconnage-terres-publiques-gaspesie

Quebecnewf

That's the thing I have tried to get some type of CAAF but no luck . The smallest CAAF now is for 50,000 cubic meters and none for this area because there is no commercially viable forest in the region .

Quebecnewf 

Thank You Sponsors!