iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sassafras logs

Started by Kirk_Allen, February 04, 2004, 07:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Tell me, do you have them new fangled metal ones or the homemade wooden ones?  I'm still pooking at my food with a stick!
   I seen some of your work displayed here and must say you sure do some nice work. :)
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

Charlie can make a spoon. :D

shopteacher

Well DanG it Tom, you been holding out on me. You think he has a set of plans for um? ;D

Tom

shopteacher

Aw, that's a nice one. Just about the right size for my mouth. :o

WV_hillbilly

Thanks Shopteacher . I still learn new tricks everyday on that saw. I' ve got some new ones in the works right now but I gotta keep em under wraps for another week .   

If I remember correctly we got a complete set of them metal ones when we married. The have been disappearing and we're down to 2 . I think them youngins are taken them outside for excavation work in the sand/dirt box .  :D  

Tom are you saving that one for posterity or marketing purposes  ?
Hillbilly

Tom

That's Charlie's Pea Spoon.  He has it in MinniHaHa hanging on a wall. ;D

Kirk_Allen

Its amazing how things work in this world.  The farmer who called me about the Sassafras logs was mad as heck when I got to the farm.  He had delivered the log below which was 15 feet long and 34" on the small end.

I asked him what was wrong with it and he said nothing, other than the the other 5 that he was supposed to pick up, that were bigger, had been cut up by a local for firewood.  

He pulled up as this joker was making the last cross cut on the biggest of them all.  I told Charlie, our farmer, if he needed it bad enough to come on private property and risk the rath of Charlie, then he must have needed it pretty bad.  

Unfortunate to loose such nice logs to fire wood but I guess I cant complain since it was free.  I think the farmer was more *pithed than I was.  

Well before the day was out, I get a phone call from our farmer who went to a land sale.  Turns out the guy that bought 200 acres of land needs 80 acres of it cleared.  Our farmer got the contract the same day of the sale and the land is filled with White Oak, Walnut and Cherry.  He assured me he will be dropping of truck loads of wood to make up for the Sassafras that was cut into firewood.

What blows me away isn't all the free wood as much as the fact that the guy who owns the land would rather give it to our farmer than hire loggers to come in and buy it.  Turns out the last time he did that he got burned and he vowed to never deal with another Timber buyer again.  

OK by me 8)

shopteacher

Kirk it appears you loose some and others you win really big time. Hope you get it all. Happy sawing.

Ron Scott

Clearing 80 acres of that kinda wood is a "big" project. The farmer must be well equipped to handle it properly.
~Ron

WV_hillbilly

Kirk  thats a shame  to lose those sassafras logs.  it is a nice wood to work with .  On the other side of the coin it seems that you might make out in the end run .

I learned a few years ago that I couldn 't leave logs lay around like that either .  I had cut and skidded them to a landing  on a nice dry day  and it was going to rain before I could load them up the next afternoon . Well while I was at work the next day some thief came and took them . They were cut up for firewood just like yours . So now If I skid it to that landing  I load it and take it home that day .  
Hillbilly

shopteacher

What kind of mill you thinking of getting WV?  I looked at your  profile and your not too far away.  Going to Washington, Pa. last night for dinner seen the sign to Wheeling is 51 mile. You ever go to the woodworking show in Columbus?  I've didn't go this year, but have gone many times.  You see some interesting things on the market and can get some pretty good show specials.

Kirk_Allen

Ron,
Yes, he is very well equipped.  He also runs a field tile operation and is probably the best in the state in that regards.  He has several dozer's, earth movers, tile layers, backhoes etc.

He clears fence rows, woods, creeks etc for the state as well as he is the only one in the area with the equipment to get the job done in a timely manner.

He just purchased 150 acres of woods 4 miles east of us and we are discussing a joint venture on the wood that needs to be harvested.  I think we can come up with a profitable agreement without any problems.

Ron Scott

It sounds like he can well handle the job and bigger than the  farmer or logger I was thinking of. He's really equipped for land clearing.

He or the landowner clients might even have use for a consulting forester to maximize those timber values. ;)  
~Ron

WV_hillbilly

Shopteacher  
Yep I'm just down the raod a bit .
                    Yes I have been to the woodworking Show in Colmbus for 3 years now . I  am looking at one of the smaller manual  mills . At the Show this year the had a Logosol electric mill and it looked like something I could use . I like  it cause  it could give me the kind of slabs for my scroll sawing with out to much hassle .   I almost bought one but didn't cause I  wanted to research alittle more . If I got one of them I would get the chainsaw driven one though . It looked like it is a lot easier on you than an Alaskan mill.
Hillbilly

shopteacher

I don't know much about the chain saw mills. they look to me to be quite labor intensive, but its all in what works best for you. No mill is better than the one that suits "you" best.  We kid back and forth here on the forum, but I really think everyone is pretty satisified with what they have. I'm sure some would like to upgrade to a different model or try a different style ( I'd like to try a mobile dimension or swing blade) and some would probably like to have one of each type. All in all it still boils dow to what suits you best and what makes you happy.  
   I think I'll be heading to the Furniture Expo in Greensboro, NC. on the 18th of this month.  Were going to begin a complete renovation of the school next June and I'm looking to add a couple CNC machines into the new shop. I'd like to get a CNC lathe and a Laser cutter.  I've been talking to our vendor about trading in our current CNC machine before it loses to much of it value.  Not looking forward to the drive there, but those shows really bring you in touch with the working world and whats going on in it.  I think that one of the problem with public education, most teachers went to college after high school and have been teaching ever since. They need to get out and see what happening on the other side of the school house walls.
   Well good luck on what ever you decide. It can be a lot of fun.

WV_hillbilly

Thats great that your school is getting new woodworking equipment .  Most of the schools around  here are auctioning off  all the woodworking and metal working equipment and installing computer related classes .  :(    Those shows have great displays of the newest technology . I want one of those laser cutters/engravers too . Haven't been able to get that much dough together for one though . :(

For the slabs that I use  I would need something with a slabbing capabilities . So a Logosol would fit the bill nicely  with out the bending over of the other chainsaw mills .  If I want a great quantity  regular boards I would get someone with a bandmill to do that for me . Or maybe I could but  a bandmill  myself  ;)
Hillbilly

J_T

WV hillbilly afore you wake up or that crock runs out of gold I saw a nice used circle mill at sawmill exchange just 19,500 has a air cab 5 presets the works. Thanks  ;D
Jim Holloway

WV_hillbilly

J T    thats a little more than my weekly allowance will cover . :(
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!