iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

curly maple

Started by craigc90, August 24, 2004, 05:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigc90

I have had a portable bandmill for about a year now. I need to get a shed built so I can mill in the winter. So Every tree I decide to cut up for frameing lumber turns out curly. We had a 15 acre forest fire 3 years ago and has started to take its toll on my maple trees so I have been cutting the ones close to the house and sawing into lumber. 4 out of last 5 trees is curly. I have a few questions. first what causes the curly grain if there is an answer to that. Second should I plane it and edge it befor or after drying.

craigc90

also forgot this question what is the best thickness to cut cabinet wood. I have been cutting 5/4.

MemphisLogger

craigc90,

Unless you're cuttin' species that you know will twist, bow or cup when you dry it, I'd do 4/4.

I have no problem getting jointed and planed 4/4 to come out at 7/8" with my Mizer in stable cabinet species like QS oak, Walnut or Cherry.  

Now, if I was sawing Birch, Soft Maple or Sweet Gum, I'd probably go 5/4 to make sure I could joint off the twisties.

Plane and edge after drying but with curly wood, dry it only as much as the end use dictates--too dry will tearout more in the planer.  

- Cabinet Mangler  
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

twoodward15

any for sale????  That stuff is hard to find around here.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

craigc90

none for sale yet but I think there will be sometime in the future. I have a pile of them airdrying I cut last fall . 2x6x10  
spalted curly maple. Also cut up a beutiful curly cherry earlier this summer. I have about 5 more trees to cut down that have fire scars on them and the bark is peeling up at the bottom of the tree and 3 of them you can see the ripple in the outside of the log . just like the curly I have already stacked. I need to build a roof over the mill but cant find any plain grain logs. I am sure this is a beginners luck thing or something. This weekend I am going to try to cut a few sassafras logs and see if I can find something to start building with.  ;D  

TomFromStLouis

Well now Craig, you have confessed to being sort of a beginner here, so I will try to break it to you gently. It utrns out that recent research reveals that sawing curly wood can be TOXIC. That's right, saw any more of that stuff and you could get hurt.

Now, few people know this, but deep down inside I am a kindhearted generous soul. And because of this and you with your dilemma and all, I have an idea. See if you can figure it out.

Nobody really knows what causes curl. Some species are particularly inclined, like maple (one of the more toxic ones, I might add), while others just don't. It could be a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Scott is dead on about the sawing too. Most curly maple I see is 4/4, but you might get a premium for thicker stuff. Really want a shock? Take a look at what the best figured stuff (and your spalted may qualify here) goes for $/bf on eBay.

Ianab

I've found some curly grain in the Cypruss I've been sawing, but mostly in trees that have been growing at an extreme lean.
I think you would notice if your trees were growing on a 45 deg angle  ::)
Still it seems related to some sort of stress in the log or the trees history  ???

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

craigc90

Tom thats real nice of you lookingout for me like that :D :D I have been told that it is genetics that causes the curly grain.  I do live on the top of a windy ridge and thought maybe the constant swaying back and forth causes the curl. I dont mind having all the curly logs . Its not helping me get my mill under roof befor winter ;D.

Engineer

Craig,

I know you don't have much in the way of softwoods in OH, I'll make you a deal.  I'll load up a log truck with eastern white pine, best stuff I have, and I'll drive it out to you.  You help me load up the truck with half a load of that curly maple and maybe some walnut if you got it, and we're even.  The pine willl make for the framing lumber you need, and I'll be taking that useless curly stuff off your hands.

Lemme know when you wanna trade.

Jon

etat

sniff....sniff........I smell RATS!.   Don't trust none of em, it's ME ya wanna deal with!!!!! ;D   Some how or another I'll come up with you some really nice straight grained wood to trade for that useless curly stuff!! 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Grawulf

NO! WAIT CRAIG! ..... I'm here in Ohio and I've got some beech and pine that I'll swap you for that useless environmentally hazardous maple - just kidding - seems like every soft maple that I get into recently has some curl to it too!

craigc90

You guys are way to generous :D I dont know how any of you guys make any money always looking out for the little guy like you do. :D

twoodward15

Man,  I'm just looking for like 50 bdft.  That stuff is like gold around here.  Can't even think about affording 10 bdft.  I've seen it well over $15 a bdft in places.  This stuff grows on trees these days you know!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!