iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old time remedies and cures.

Started by Bibbyman, January 01, 2010, 10:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I was too young to remember but my folks say one time at a visit to the old country doctor, they asked him about doing something about the warts on my hands.  He said he had something to remove them but if we could find a hollow stump with water and leaves standing in it, to wash my hands in the water and the warts would go away.  They did and the warts went away.  Old story, often told.

My now long gone Uncle Ed was raised in southern Missouri.  He told many stories.  One I remember was about his uncle that developed a tumor on his forehead.  He went to a doctor that had a cure he'd learned from the Indians.  He gave him some of this salve and told him to keep it applied for a full month.  He was also advised that he would be in great pain.  Uncle Ed said his uncle wore the grass off of the field behind his house walking to help cope with the pain.  He said he returned in a month's time and the doctor got out a long, heavy needle and probed under the tumor and pulled it out – roots and all.  Said it was black and had tentacles that ran out to the size of the palm of your hand.  He said a doctor came down from the big city to study his cure for tumors.  This doctor called the country doctor a quack.  The country doctor took whatever cure he had for tumors to his grave.  So the story goes.

I was just reading stories about life in the 1800's in southern Missouri.  There was an account of a woman giving birth to a blind baby.  She took the baby to the doctor who treated the baby by massaging up and down its spine.  After a few treatments, the mother trained herself to do the rubdown and continued the treatments.  The baby finally gained total sight in one eye and some in the other.  The mother stopped the treatments and the baby's eyesight didn't continue to improve.  She felt that if she would have continued the treatments, the girls may have made a full recovery.  I don't see where there would be any connection between messaging the spine and eyesight,  but ... that's the story.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

zopi

The warts cure is in Tom Sawyer...works too....Warts...keep moist with vitamin E..just squeeze it out of the capsules and keep a band aid over it.
Wart will go away..

Tension headache? On the hand opposite the side it hurts worse on, massage the web between finger and thumb...helps if you can relax while you are doing it...gets faster with practice...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jasperfield

Bee stings will alleviate the pain of arthritis for several days, and regardless of the location(s) of the sting(s) relative to the affected joint.

Kerosene applied to cuts, scrapes, etc. will reduce time to heal and will eliminate soreness of injury.

timberfaller390

Kerosene, moonshine, and horse liniment will cure anything that ails you
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

pigman

I assume you are to drink the moonshine , but put the kerosene and horse liniment on the wound. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

timberfaller390

Pigman, you could try it the othr way around but I don't think you'll like it.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

LeeB

A hot toddy will stop a child from coughing and let them sleep better than any cough syrup. I'm not recomending giving drink to a child but a small dose of lemon, honey and a dab of wiskey with hot water works. Good for us older folks too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

My dad used to blow cigar smoke in your ear when you had an earache.  It always seemed to help, but my mom didn't like the way it stunk up the house.   :D

My dad had warts and went to the local powwow lady.  She said to take chicken feet and fry them so the grease comes out of it.  Rub the grease on your warts, then bury the feet under the north eaves of the house.  When the feet rot, the warts will be gone.  My dad said it worked.  My grandmother said the woman was a witch.  Witchcraft was pretty common in the area, and is to some extent today.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

Tobacco does have some analgesic qualities, hence putting chewing tobacco on a wasp sting.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

My dad used to cut Ironwood (Hophornbeam) heart wood into strips about the size of pop-sicle sticks and put them in canning jars (so the jar was almost full) then fill the jar with water. Don't know if anything else was added.
The jar would be placed in the cabinet for a period of time.
Then when one of us kids would get an upset stomach he'd give us one of the sticks to chew on.  ::)
Whether it really worked is anyone's guess.  We usually didn't wait around for a second stick! ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

treedog

If you get the Hick-ups, swallow a packet of sugar or tea spoon full, they'll quit.

pigman

Castor oil will cure a stomach ache in school age children. Well, it might not stop the stomach ache, but it will stop them from complaining.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Chuck White

Quote from: pigman on January 05, 2010, 10:23:56 PM
Castor oil will cure a stomach ache in school age children. Well, it might not stop the stomach ache, but it will stop them from complaining.

That's kinda what we found out about dad's concoction!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

timber tramp

My Grandma used to put "mustard plasters" on us for colds, not sure what she made them out of, but if you left it on your chest for half an hour you'd get blisters.
  Also sugar on burns and bee stings. Red iodine for everything else. I miss Grandma, but I sure don't miss some of her "remedies". ;)                :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

beenthere

My grandmother came out with ginger tea for me to drink..not sure if for a cold, or for a flu bug.

But to this day, I cannot stand the smell of ginger.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Toolman

Baking soda(add enough water to make it pastey) will immediately stop the pain from Bee stings. Raw Honey rubbed on a cut will heal twice as fast. Stomach virus, chew on a ginger root.  smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb Hit your thumb with a hammer, cursing very loudly seems to alleviate the anger and frustration. Still trying to find a home cure to ease the thumping...any suggestions? Ice does'nt work fast enough, I've tried it. :D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

LOGDOG

I was actually a really unhealthy kid growing up. Had bad asthma. My mom wasn't big on prescription meds to treat me. When I'd have an asthma attack there were several things we'd try to settle me down. Massage was one of them. When you can't breath you get scared and tense and that only compounds the problem. The massage would help me relax. Actually if she could get me to the chiropractor he could snap me out of it within about 10-15 minutes. One other thing that helped was putting me in a walk in cooler or have me breath straight into an air-conditioning unit. The cool air helped.

Vicks Vapor Rub was a constant go-to. Still is. I don't travel without it.

When I used to have bronchitis or bad chest congestion my mom would fry up a pan of onions just until they became overly translucent. She make a compress with a steamed towel and the onions piled inside of it and place it on my chest. Talk about loud. Wow. But it must have done some good. Used it quite a few times.

Those are just a few things that come to mind. I'm sure I can recall a few more with some thought.

LOGDOG

timber tramp

Bag balm too, I forgot to mention the bag balm. Works real good for chapped lips, not as effective for poison oak.  ;D      :) TT

LeeB

Chicken poo works good for chapped lips too. It won't make them feel any better but it sure stops you from lickiing them.  :D  :D  :D  :D

ohsoloco

Quote from: LeeB on January 03, 2010, 07:52:24 AM
A hot toddy will stop a child from coughing and let them sleep better than any cough syrup. I'm not recomending giving drink to a child but a small dose of lemon, honey and a dab of wiskey with hot water works. Good for us older folks too.

When I was little and had a tooth ache that kept me up at night, my mom would get me to dip my finger in the whiskey bottle, and rub a little on my tooch and gum.  Can't remember if it actually helped the pain or not, cuz I was asleep in no time  :D

treedog

Bibbyman, can't hardly believe this thread had'nt taken off more than it has!!  This subject is so interesting; listening to the "Old Timer's" , my father being 1; finding pine sap and having to eat it help numberous things.  The most interesting I've heard comes from African Americans; not so long ago they didn't have access to doctors like most so they home remedeyed there selves.  I don't remember most of what i've heard from all, but home remedies is all they had for years, don't care who you were.  I'll try to refresh (milk) some I've listened to; amazing subject.   Scott

woodsteach

We use warm water with sea salt for gargling when the girls have a sore thoat.

Warm organic apple cider vinegar in the ear for soothing ear aches.

I made a echinicha (sp) tincture this year and when cold symptom come 1/2 tsp 3x/day for me and 1/4 tsp for the kids.

Pickled garlic for keeping the flu away.  (knock on wood)

not very old time I know but they what we are using!

woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Bro. Noble

I like Tom Joad's blood stopper that he used in 'The Grapes of Wrath'  :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

LeeB

I'm a firm believer in garlic and hot peppers for what ails you.

Tom

Yeah!  Me too.  Especially when it comes with a Prime Rib.  ;D

QuoteI like Tom Joad's blood stopper
Well, I guess it at least washed it off.  :D

timber tramp

Quote from: LeeB on January 13, 2010, 11:18:23 PM
I'm a firm believer in garlic and hot peppers for what ails you.

Homemade salsa or chinese mustard have healing qualities also. ;)       :) TT

Bro. Noble

Lee,  It's probably good to have some garlic around now that you've quit the snuff----maybe it will help keep the girls from trying to kiss you all the time :D :D :D   Well,  when I quit snuff,  it turned out that it wasn't a big problem after all :(

Tom,  it's heartwarming to know there's a literary out there ;D

jwoods

As a kid I had warts cut out of my big toe 2 times by the doctor, only for them to return.

The third time, my uncle gave me an apple, had me cut it in half and rub both halves on the warts.

Step 2 was to put the halves back together and bury it...and never tell anyone where I buried it.  When the apple rotted, my warts went away...and they never came back.

I did the same thing with my 5-year old this last summer.  My wife thought I cracked, but she's now a believer too, as the warts are gone.

The big caveat is that someone has to "give" you the apple.

Joe

WildDog

Not sure what countries stinging nettles grow but down here where you find nettles there is usually dock plants, when stung by the nettle screw up the stem of a dock plant and rub the fluid/gel on the sting for an instant relief...works a treat
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

timberjack240

when i get stung by a bees i squeeze that baby till the blood runs they dont get so itchy that way. for pioson witch hazel helps stop the itch that and band aid barnd clear lookin gel and rubbin alchohol works wonders . feel the burn  ;D . theres an old sawmiller that lives near by that has arthristis in his hands he says if you rub wd-40 into you joints when it hurts it helps . theres more i jsut have to think or em

saltydog

i was raised by my grandparents they were the only mom and dad i knew  my dad used to fix a sore throught by putting a finger full of vicks in the back of his mouth. ive used that one it works well on a coonhound that has lost his voice treeing all night too. ive removed a tooth or two with my leatherman one at the demand of my 80 year old mother she said just give it a jerk i did tooth came out real easy and i socked her in the nose(on accident of course) talk about feelin foolish .stitched a few things up with balsum pitch and fishline.got to do it quick before you can feel it my uncle used moonshine to cure all kinds of things seem to me as i get older, he must have had lots of pains as he used it quite regular . still do keep a little around for emergencys like weddings or  funerals or to stop weddings . chew on willow branch to help toothache or let me pull it   :) duck tape works great for slivers or glass you cant get out. put on change it when you have too leave it for a week or more whatevers in there will be pulled right to the top you can usually dig er out
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Carries-Mom

Here's something that I thought would never work. When your baby is gettin' ready to cut teeth, grab an egg. Don't crack it open. Write the childs name all over the egg with a permanent marker. Put the egg in one of the baby's socks and hang it over their doorway to their room. Never had a problem with Carrie and still not sure how that worked. Also super glue works well to keep cuts on your hands closed! ;D

LeeB

Super glue actually was originally designed for just that, to close wounds,

Shotgun

Here's another version of the origin of super glue.

.supergluecorp.com/history.html

History Of Super Glue

Since its heralded beginning, the powerful adhesive known as Super Glue has enjoyed a rich history - including an imaginative element of mythology! Though urban legend describes the glue as an accidental solution to battle wounds during World War II, its actual evolution is a little different.

The original cyanoacrylates (the chemical name for the glue) were discovered in 1942 in a search for materials to make clear plastic gun sights for the war, and scientists stumbled upon a formulation that stuck to everything that it came in contact with. However, cyanoacrylates were quickly rejected by American researchers precisely because they stuck to everything! In 1951, cyanoacrylates were rediscovered by Eastman Kodak researchers Harry Coover and Fred Joyner, who recognized its true commercial potential, and it was first sold as a commercial product in 1958.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

LeeB

ohsoloco

Not so much a remedy or cure (well, maybe for greasy hands  ;) ), but I'll never buy Gojo or Fast Orange hand cleaner again.  The best thing I've found for really dirty, oily, greasy hands is just a little bit of Dawn dish detergent and a sprinkle of borax powder...works like a charm  :)

Tom

One Noon, I yelled at Grandmomma, who was in the Kitchen cooking Dinner (lunch) for Granddaddy and Momma.  They hadn't gotten home yet.

The first thing I knew, I had been picked up by my shirt collar and marched to the front bedroom, my toes barely touching the floor.  The door was locked and Granddad took off his belt and began to wear me out.  Grandmom was knocking on the door and saying "Flem!, he's had enough."

In the meantime, Momma came home for her Dinner break and I could hear Grandmomma telling her what had happened.  Then they were both hitting the door and yelling, "Daddy!, he's had enough!"

Finally Granddaddy got enough, I guess, and he quit, put his belt back on and left the room.

I had been all around the room, in the closet, on the bed, behind the bed, under the bed and most anywhere I could think of to try to get away.  The bedroom was in quite a disarray.

It worked real good though.  I never Yelled at Grandmomma again. As a matter of fact, I walk real softly when I visit their graves every Valentines Day.

Chuck White

Eb - Hey Zeb ya got a cure for chapped lips?

Zeb - Yup!

Eb - Well, what is it?

Zeb - Well ya take a little fertilizer (cow manure) on your fingertip and rub it on your lips, usually clears right up!  steve_smiley

Eb - You mean it really cures chapped lips?  ::)

Zeb - No, not really, but it keeps you from licking your lips!  food6

Bibbyman

Anyone use Hawthorn to help reduce blood pressure?

The other day the truck driver for the logging outfit and I were talking and he told me he takes Hawthorn to lower his blood pressure.  He even had a bottle with him.  Said he got it at Wal-Mart.

I did some research on the internet and the claims are that it will lower your blood pressure by 10%.   

We looked in Wal-Mart and they didn't have any.  A lady there said they re-did everything and quit stocking some items.  Went to Walgreens and they didn't stock it.  We don't have a GNC in town.  Have to go to the big city to find one or order on-line I guess.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Patty

Just be careful about mixing your home remedies with the prescription drugs you are taking. You cannot regulate the home remedies easily, and the mixture may just be too much.
Perhaps you would want to go off the prescription drug before taking the home remedy.
I am not saying don't try the home remedies, just be careful.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Left Coast Chris

Here is a cure for hickups:  Fill a glass with water.  put your lips on the far edge and bend over and take a few drinks.   

We call it the upside down glass of water.  I have never had it fail.   Good for a few laughs also.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Husky Scot

Hot toddy, thank the lord for us JOCKS!!! whisky is the cure in scotland for everything other than where surgery is required, flu and colds are treated here with
1 measure neat blended 10 year old whisky
1 measure of heather fed honey
1 part hot water
1 tea spoon of sugar
1 squeeze of lemon (optional, as not a native fruit of scotland)
Sip slowly allowing time for maximum absorption.

Take just before bed, rap a pair of ladies nylons around neck and throat for warmth, sleep, minimum 8 hours.

Enjoy 8)
BE SAFE!

Gary_C

Quote from: Husky Scot on September 30, 2010, 05:35:28 PM

Take just before bed, rap a pair of ladies nylons around neck and throat for warmth, sleep, minimum 8 hours.

Enjoy 8)

The hardest part is going to be finding those nylons and getting them off.  ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Mooseherder

WH_Conley

Bill

ohsoloco

Does anyone have a good remedy for stinging nettle?  I was puttering around outside last week, and when I came inside I kept feeling a weird sensation on my wrist.  Looked at it in just the right light and saw a 50-cent-piece patch of nettles  :(  Pulled out what I could, but it's been bugging me for a week now.  Every once in a while it will just itch like crazy.  I don't like to take Benadryl during the day b/c of how drowsy it makes me.

I saw online that if you rub baking soda on it RIGHT after you get stung, it will counteract the acid that's in the stingers, but by then it was too late  :-\

Bro. Noble

I'm  not sure if your stinging nettle is the same as ours,  but there are two common remedies here.  One is milk and the other is the juice from a plant.   This plant grows in the same places as the nettles so is usually real handy.  I don't rmember the name of the plant, but it's stem looks kinda like wax begonia.  It has a yellow bloom. 

SwampDonkey

Cider vinegar, rubbed on varicose veins to bring the swelling down. My uncle has used it and says it works.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on October 05, 2010, 10:12:15 AM
I'm  not sure if your stinging nettle is the same as ours,  but there are two common remedies here.  One is milk and the other is the juice from a plant.   This plant grows in the same places as the nettles so is usually real handy.  I don't rmember the name of the plant, but it's stem looks kinda like wax begonia.  It has a yellow bloom. 

Spotted touch-me-not, or jewel weed and it works.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Tension headache....massage the web between index finger and thumb of the hand opposite the side it hurts worse on...

Tiger balm is great stuff...for a bad headache where the above won't do...a little on each temple...stay away from the eyes..vicks vaporub will do if you do not have tiger balm.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

That ain't the only place you want to keep it away from. We played some really visious pranks with it back in my high school sports days.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

crtreedude

Quote from: LeeB on January 04, 2010, 01:58:46 AM
Tobacco does have some analgesic qualities, hence putting chewing tobacco on a wasp sting.

It was a family cure to use wet chewing tobacco on a sting, and we thought it prevented swelling, etc. It really did work well, we thought, for all of us.

Till one day we didn't have any and discovered none of us react to bee stings.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

RynSmith

I mistook tiger balm for lip gloss once.  Once was certainly enough!  :o  :o

crtreedude

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on September 07, 2010, 12:02:43 AM
Here is a cure for hickups:  Fill a glass with water.  put your lips on the far edge and bend over and take a few drinks.   

We call it the upside down glass of water.  I have never had it fail.   Good for a few laughs also.

There is a reason it works, too. It forces you to use your swallowing muscles.

crtreedude

My wife had a cough that wouldn't quit for 8+ weeks and did some research and found out that using garlic, raw cocoa and some stuff will stop the coughing and let you heal. She tried everything, including over the counter, and prescription. She is prone to this, and has used it a couple of times since, and so has some friends. It seems to work every time. Heck of a lot cheaper too.

crtreedude

The home remedy here for a cold coming on is to take two limes, juice them, add salt, and knock it back like a shot of whisky. Seems to work wonders. Pretty funny one day to arrive down at the office and a crew was getting ready to go work, and all of them were taking their medicine. Look like a bunch of lumberjacks coming up to the bar.  :D About two days cured everyone.

two tired

to stop an earake cut a limb of a wild persimon tree, about 12 inches long or so, place the limb in a fire,or on a burner of a stove, catch the juice that comes out in a spoon and as soon as it is cool enough put it in the ear, i have put 3 to 10 drops in the ear. earake is gone in about 1 hour or so. it also seems to kill the infection in the ear. my dad used this remidy on us, i have not had an earake but mayby 3 or 4 times in my 62 yearsof life. it worked for our young children also.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

zopi

Ctree...been doing that for a long time, but I dilute it some with water...every so often I get to craving lime amd salt for some reason.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Patty

We have trouble with mice getting into our equipment and chewing the wires and eating the seats, or dieing and sticking up the place something fierce. A guy told us to throw some of those stinky dryer sheets into the cab and the mice will stay away. Has anyone heard of this ? Does it work? I hate to stick up the bulldozer or trackhoe anymore than they are now with dryer sheets, but if it works, I am all for it.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

submarinesailor

Quote from: Patty on November 06, 2011, 12:22:47 PM
throw some of those stinky dryer sheets into the cab and the mice will stay away

Patty,

A lady friend at work told me at it was the only way she can keep the mice out of her rear seat.

Bruce

Patty

Good enough!   I bought a box of the smelliest ones I could find and put one in each of the vehicles. I will let you know how they work.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

mooleycow

ammonia for bee stings.  cremedemint for children coughing,  had asthma as a kid.  I was given everything from alcohol to arsenic, finally growed out of it.  When I was a kid syringes was glass, they got cleaned and used over and over.  been stabbed 4or 5 times to get the shot, they just said i had tough skin.  i still hate shots.  maybe why i don"t talk nice to doctors to this day.  Dr Arey  alway use to argue with me, he would shake the thermometor at me, this tells me if you are sick or not, you're sick-you got the flu. you want to go to the hospital or go home.  I went home, kinda miss that old doctor

tractormanNwv

As a kid growing up, when I got a piece of dirt or whatever in my eye the kinfolks would drop a flax seed under the lower eyelid of my sore eye, and I will have to say by the following morning I was pretty good unless I had scratched the eye. If you get a cut..etc..and it gets infected make a poltice from redoak bark as hot as you can stand, use it 3 times a day and it will pull the infection out. usually the poltice will turn a greenish color as the infection comes out.

Jim

doctorb

OK - I don't want to sound like the traditional physician on a thread like this because many "home" remedies are based in true medicinal treatments.  but I would caution anyone from inserting anything under their eyelid as a purposful foreign body.  First, the eye is extrememly sensitive and most people wouldn't stand for for it.  Secondly, movement of a foreign body entrapped under a lid can scratch the cornea, leading to other problems. 

I assume that the remedy mentioned above worked because 1) it inflamed the eye to water profusely and 2) holding the lid slightly away from the eye allowed the tears to wash out, carrying the original offending foreign body with it.  It is better to have someone invert the lid and remove a foreign body than to try this remedy, IMO

If I get an eye infection, I am seeing somebody if it doesn't clear or improve in the first day or so.  I don't think the redoak makes any difference.  A warm moist washcloth every 4-6 hours would probably do just as well.

Not trying to rain on this thread's parade.  I just couldn't not say something.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

Thanks Doc.   8)

My eyes water when someone else gets something in THEIR eye. No kidding. I could never get anything out of my kid's eyes, because mine would start watering. If I am talking to someone with red irritated eyes, my eyes will start watering as well.  Weird eh? :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

doctorb
What you said makes perfect sense.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

Jeff-

There are many known instances of symbiotic reaction of one person taking on the symptoms of another who is ailing.  This can be taken to extremes.  Did you ever hear about fathers of a soon to be born child suffering through labor with the mother?  (Symbiotic labor pains) Well, in an effort to attempt to share the experience (and pain) with the mother, this has been reported.  Horse-hockey, IMO

No, I don't understand your eyes watering under these conditions.  Yes, it's wierd.  But if that's the wierdest thing about you, I think I can live with that. ;D

I reread tractorman's post, and I originally thought he was talking about infections around the eye.  I see now that he was undoubtedly speaking about infections in general.  There are all types of poltices which work the same way as a warm wet cloth.  Some of these natural made pastes have antibacterial properties and may assist in preventing or in superficial treatment of an infection.  Superficial infections or abscesses that are encouraged to drain out (moist heat, hot steel) heal themselves quite well from the depths of the wound to the surface.  The key is keeping them open to drain.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

JV

My grandmother used bacon fat poltice placed over a splinter to "draw it out."  I got a long one stuck from the web between my thumb and finger to almost the middle of the palm of my hand.  The fat didn't have enough pull but Doc did.  A numbing shot, a towel laid across his desk, a pair of forceps, and a scalpel worked quite well.  You couldn't be squeamish in those days.  Doc and I met frequently in my younger days including the time he stitched up my forehead on his kitchen table while his wife cooked supper.  A wad of tabacco was used for bee stings and nettles.  Sassafras tea for colds and headaches (the cupboard always had a supply of roots).  Most remedies were based on experiences long handed down, some worked, some were just plain dangerous.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

beenthere

Quote from: JV on December 29, 2011, 11:40:52 AM
.............  Most remedies were based on experiences long handed down, some worked, some were just plain dangerous.

Remedies like the Mom who would say "I'll kiss it and make it better".   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

WH_Conley

Remedies like the Mom who would say "I'll kiss it and make it better".   ;D ;D
[/quote]

I always preferred that to the remedies that I got. >:(
Bill

SwampDonkey

Often a good remedy involved a belt or a good hazel switch.  ;D :D :D

Chuck White

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 06, 2011, 06:07:22 AM
Quote from: Bro.  Noble on October 05, 2010, 10:12:15 AM

Spotted touch-me-not, or jewel weed and it works.

SD; Is the Spotted touch-me-not the bushy green plant with yellow flowers that pop open and spread their seeds when someone touches them?

We have lots of those in this area, also lots of stinging nettles!

Thanks

SwampDonkey

Chuck yes, the stem is succulent and full of juice.

Thank You Sponsors!