iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile dimension 127 or 128?

Started by gms1911, January 10, 2018, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gms1911

So after much deliberation I think I want a MD sawmill. My biggest question is what's the difference between the two mills? I know you can get a couple different hp engines. One, two or three edger blades.  A couple choices for the main blade. Addition to the track and different endstand heights. I've read the 128 is hydrostatic drive. Not sure what the drive is on the 127. I thought I read that it's screw drive?

Anyway, should I stay away from the 127 for any reason? I'm not looking to saw wood for a living anytime soon. Maybe to supplement my retirement income in 10-15 years. You know some extra fishing and hunting money.

Any reason to get a stationary mill over the MD? I'm guessing it won't be as fast at cutting as a good old frick 0 or 01. But I don't have to edge or resaw. Plus I don't have to bring the tree(s) to the mill. I can always bring the mill to the tree(s). And I can run it solo. That's hard to do on a stationary mill.  Also a lot less alinement of bearings and belts and hammering blades etc.......

I have a band mill that I built. It works fine. But it is expensive to run. The blades don't last to long and it's not very fast either. The blades on the MD just need a touch up once or maybe twice a day and back to sawing. No canting logs either.

Other options are Mahoe, mightmite, and timberline 1410 which doesn't seem to be in business anymore. None of which are to available. And the verious swing blades. But they don't cut dimensional lumber. Right? It would need to be planed?

Thanks for the input y'all!

starmac

Are you talking new, I thought I read where MD had quit building mills, am I wrong?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

gms1911

Used. They have quit building new ones. I talked with the owner. Great guy. Wish I could buy the company from him and start building. I think with some advertising one could sell a good many saws a year. Plus if you could add a few things like a slabbing attachment for one. It would expand the possibilities. Just don't have the cash on hand. And the wife on board.

Chop Shop

128 all the way.

When you look at one, get the serial number and call MD and check its purchase history.   They will help you to know if its had normal wear parts purchased or if it had major items or repair from abuse etc.

Crossroads

I had a 127 that I borrowed from my cousin for a while. It was belt drive. I've seen one set up on a trailer that appeared to be very mobile but the logs needed to be loaded onto the trailer. As for setting one up at/on/around logs, it's not a one man show and it needs to be a log worth setting up for. Unless you are regularly dealing with large logs and have at least 2 people to set the mill up, in my opinion it's not a great option for being mobile. When I set it up, I had no experience with one and it took me about 8 hours to get it set up by myself and I used a tractor quite a bit. I'm sure with experience that time would go down, but not enough to call it mobile in my mind, especially after owning 2 wood mizers that I can pull up next to a pile of logs and be making saw dust in 15 minuets. Now, if this seems like I'm knocking MD Mills, I'm not. I think it's a great machine and once I got it set up a running, I cut a pile of lumber in short order. I just feel it's better suited for being set up and bringing logs to it in most situations. As for cutting dimensional lumber, you can cut whatever size you set it to cut, with the blade size being the limiting factor on the large side. If my cousin would have sold the mill to me I would have been happy to buy it, but it would be set up permanently where I could feed it logs. That being said, I'm glad he wouldn't sell it to me because now I have a shiny new Wood Mizer LT40 in my shed that is truly a mobile machine.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

gms1911

I will be talking to MD about any mill that I find before buying. Just mainly looking for the differences between the two.

As far as a band mill. If its not the top of the line with all hydraulics its not portable. If you don't have a log loader you cant take it to the logs unless you have a loader or other equipment to load the logs on the mill. Now you have made two trips to get started and two to return the equipment. I have my band mill set up and a JD 450 loader to load the logs. But if I take it somewhere else I'm dead in the water. Setting up the MD seems easier then a band mill that's not all hydraulic. I'm at least 30 mins getting my band mill leaved up loaded and starting to cut. Maybe if I moved it more I would get faster. A friend of mine has a WM and that's his biggest complaint. Set up and either having to bring the logs to the mill or separate trip for the mill and support equipment. Seems like you could set the MD on end stands can't your log onto the log dogs and cut dimensional lumber. If it's a big log, I think it would take longer if using the board and block method but how big of a log can you load on your high dollar band mill with hydraulic loader. There's a weight limit there and a dimension limit. Not bashing any band mills but they have limits to how big of a log you can saw. For me that would be 36" diameter and 20' long for any of the used mills I could afford. I don't even know of any band mill that can cut wider then 40". Maybe there is but at what price?

TKehl

Swing mills will cut dimensional.  Yes it usually needs planed, same as from a band mill, MD, etc.

For what you want to do, looking at a Lucas 8-30 or 10-30, Peterson WPF, or Turbo Sawmill could well be beneficial.

I can load my Lucas and skidsteer on an 18' bumper trailer and pull it with my 3/4 ton Suburban.  Don't do it much as most jobs are just a few logs or farmers that already have equipment on site.

EZ Boardwalk will cut 36".  Cooks has a nice bandmill pretty reasonable that will cut wider yet.  Hudson as well.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Crossroads

My first wm was an old manual lt30 with ramps. Loading logs was easy after I mounted a 3500# boat winch on the tongue, I could par buckle the logs very well. With the md I had to use my tractor to roll the logs on. I'm not trying to shoot down your plans, I'm just trying to share my first hand experience. As I mentioned above, I enjoyed running the md, but after mobile milling for hire for 2 years it wouldn't even make the list for my mobile operation. The swing blades would and did get some serious consideration mostly because of the ability to cut large logs without moving them. To explain my situation, most of my jobs can be completed in 1-2 days. 99% of my calls are for wood under the 36" rating of the wm.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Chop Shop

I have a 128 that is newer and loaded.

My trailer is plenty mobile.   I back it in and drop/crank down a few adjustable legs and then start milling.

My mill has a built in winch with a rotating bar instead of a spool of cable.  The bar runs the full length of the trailer and has keyholes in it to accept cable leaders to make parbuckling easy at any location of the log deck.   My mill has a log deck that can be loaded/stocked with a machine or it can also fold down and becomes ramps to parbuckle logs up onto.

Granted its not a hydraulically loaded and adjusted and turned WM trailer, but I also dont have ANY fluids to leak, hoses to change, switches to replace, etc.

Pretty much just a couple things to squirt oil at and it starts shooting lumber out.  FAST.

Crossroads

That sounds similar to the mill I mentioned in my first response and I agree, that is a mobile set up, but how many are set up that way? If you have a VW engine that don't leak ANY fluids, you have a special one lol.

Chop Shop

Mine leaks no fluids.  It also charges well and starts easily.  It doesn't get much simpler than a VW to master.   I don't even have to buy oil filters or coolant.  The thermostat never goes bad and the fuel system never needs primed.

Crossroads

I joined this thread to share the experience I had with the one md mill I had access to and I've done that. I'm not interested in a mines better than your conversation which seems to be where this is going. Mostly because they are both great mills, but they both have limitations and aren't perfect for every situation. They both have strengths and weaknesses, but they both do what they were designed to do. Have a great day!

gms1911

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Definitely wasn't t looking for a comparison between band mills and mobile circle saws or swing blades. I'm buying a MD. Just wanted to know the differences between the two models. 127 vs 128. I guess in expressing my thoughts on why I wanted one, I might have provoked a comparison between apples and oranges. My bad.

Chop Shop

Quote from: Crossroads on January 12, 2018, 10:17:57 AM
I joined this thread to share the experience I had with the one md mill I had access to and I've done that. I'm not interested in a mines better than your conversation which seems to be where this is going. Mostly because they are both great mills, but they both have limitations and aren't perfect for every situation. They both have strengths and weaknesses, but they both do what they were designed to do. Have a great day!

The original poster asked about the difference between a 127 and a 128.   Then you chimed in and added a post about how your WM was more mobile and easier to load than a MD.

You came here comparing an OLD obsolete 127md to a bandmill.

I came here to add my experiences  with  more modern 128 model that has a nice mobile self loading trailer.

This thread was about comparing a 127 to a 128.  Not comparing oranges to oranges (WM toMD).

Don't get your panties in a bunch over nothing.   Have a great day!!

Crossroads

No panties bunched up here, simply don't have have a desire to argue with you. If the op buys a 127 like the one I used, he'll understand what I'm saying and he did ask about the 127 did he not? Now if you want to make this personal with you panty comments, you have my attention!

47sawdust

Must be time for a beer and some arm wrestling,you boys are gettin' silly. teeter_totter teeter_totter
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

DanG

Relax guys.  A thread like this is a conversation and will tend to drift like any other conversation.  The question was answered and then a bunch more knowledge was shared. This is part of what makes this forum great. If we stuck strictly to the topic all the time, this forum would have died long ago.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

gms1911

I did ask the difference between the two models. I don't think that has been answered yet. If the only difference is that the blade on one is belt driven and the other is hydro then I guess I already knew the differences. If someone explained the differences between the two besides what I already mentioned then I must have missed that post.

starmac

Well I have read it all two, and haven't seen your question answered. At one time there was a member here that owned several of them, up to something like 3 at one time. He kept up grading for some reason I assume.
Some one mentioned the 127 being obsolete, there has to be a reason besides the drive belt.

One other thing I would like to know is, is there many parts that are dedicated md parts, or can most parts be bought through other sources or at least built by a local machine shop.  I understand the vw motors have some dedicated md parts, and you can not use any old beetle engine.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

I remember that thread, but there pretty much no information in it.

gms1911

Production has stopped on all MD mills. They still supply parts. The company is for sale. The owner wants to retire. So I guess if no one buys the company then all models will become obsolete. The owner of the mill I am looking at says all parts could be bought at an auto parts store or you could have them fabed at a machine shop. When I buy one I will stock up on any parts that I think might be hard to come by or expensive to have made on a one or two off basis.

Magicman

Quote from: starmac on January 12, 2018, 05:45:28 PM
I remember that thread, but there pretty much no information in it. 
Maybe so but contacting member yukon Cornelius may yield some information since he is probably the last active member to tackle a MD 127.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

True enough MM, and I bet he would be glad to help, He may not know the differences between the two, but would have an idea on parts sources.

Magicman

Here is a bit earlier topic:  LINK

A forum search for "Mobile dimension" turned up 16 pages of hits.

Thank You Sponsors!