iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spencer logging tape

Started by thumper, March 07, 2010, 07:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper

Does anyone know what material the tape is made off in the Spencer tape? ???
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Dave Shepard

I've got one, I'd say it was some sort of coated steel. You can go to the Baileys website, look to the left, and ask a question on any product they have. Just click on that product and look for the "ask a question" button.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chucker

steel or nylon which ever you choose !!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

SwampDonkey

I have a steel one, 30 m tape. Great for tree heights and diameters as well. Pi*cm on the back for D-tape.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

Mine is coated steel like a regular stanley tape, just doesn't stand out 10' :)
Too many irons in the fire

OneWithWood

I have one an really like it.  I just wish it came with a 'Baily Nail'.

Has anyone put a nail on a tape?  How difficult is it to retain accuracy?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ErikC

I have always had a nail, it works great. it seems like they are made to accommodate the length. Anyway, I don't think that kind of accuracy is an issue, ( +/- an inch or so) for most loggers. You can seldom stick the tape exactly right in the log and have it hold, you are cutting a little long anyway, and you just get used to your tape if it's a bit off.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

We used to put a horseshoe style nail on the end and put a crook claw to it. For D-tape we needed that hook on the west coast trees to whip the end around the back and lodge in the bark. Sometimes DBH was  5 feet over your head from the uphill side. :D Then, reach from the other side. Pull it around tight so the end of the tape (not hook) joined to the measurement to be read. As far as a log, the hook bent at the log end or just add an inch.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

I broke the end off of a Spencer tape right where the nail fastened on.  I had a refill,  but didn't want to change it at noon instead of eating.  I just folded the end through the nail-loop and taped ti so that it was a foot short.  I was hoping that it would last me through the day,  although I brought a spare tape the next day,  I used the taped up tape for several days untill I finally put the refill in.

I agree with Eric C,  this isn't a preciion instrument,  in most cases you just have to be sure you aren't cutting the log too short.  If I'm cutting short logs,  I'd rather use a 'Stanley' type tape.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

I might add that the logger's tape was only a backup for taking diameters. We had stainless steel D-tape, much stiffer and took hold better on the bark and whipped around better with the heavier weight. Came with hook already attached.

Ron Scott

I've also replaced a broken or lost nail with a horeseshoe nail on mine. Works fine.
~Ron

Maine372

mine has the hinged hook on it. so when you pull it lets go. its the kitty's PJs

Wudman

A Spencer tape will normally break near the nail end under normal usage.  Wrap the first 4 or 5 inches of the Spencer with tape (I use Duct Tape) and you will get significantly more life out of it.  I've actually worn the paint off of several before they broke using this method.  Be careful not to pull a kink in it or it is done for.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

SwampDonkey

What broke mine was pulling poly tape to free it from a bush I tied the Spenser to while measuring slope distance to the tree to estimate heights. Don't like too much NP walking. :D

captain_crunch

Old Oregon Logger method. Take about 18" of the packageing tape with the fiberstrings in it.Start at about 9" mark run it down tape thru ring and back up backside of tape. Then wrap with black elect tape to cover packageing tape. We taped them heavy on end so about 6" always stuck out to make it easy for gloved hand to get a hold of. Corectly bent horseshoe nail is about 1/4" off at max. You can angle nail to be right but where mills want 10" trim and 6" trim is all that is required there is quite a grey area. But on FS jobs if you break over 12" you pay for next 2' log length that is not there. Out west Spencer Log tapes are ALL you see. In small logs lots of cutters carry 2 one on each side to buck two logs at once. Biggest trick to get them to last is slow em down with your gloved hand so they don't slam back. Another trick when in mud and snow is to put 50' filler in 75' tape this allows room for debris on tape and still have room fot it on spool
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bill m

captain_crunch  thats a good idea with the packaging tape. I'll have to try it. These are the two ends I use on my tapes. I had to add a screw to the release hook to get the right tension so it would not release to easy. The button is one I made from brass round stock.

The other picture shows how I modify a chain saw wrench. I braze a small 1/2 link of chain to it so I can clip it to my chaps. Just have to make sure it does not interfere with plug removal on your brand of saw.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Maine372

you must have a heck of a washer holding that loop on your chaps. i had my wife take belt loops of a ratted up pair of jeans and stitch them to my chaps. one on each side so i can move the tape if i need to work at odd angles.

how often do you stab yourself with the scrench?

bill m

I use a tee nut from fastenal on back, file it down to about 1/4 in. thickness. Stab myself with a scrench? Not once yet in 20 plus years.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

John Woodworth

All my years in the woods I have taken horse shoe nails and flattened the head with a hammer and then bent it tohook onto tape, the flattened head gives your thumb something to push against, then I wrap the first 10 inches from the nail out with electrial tape and does a good job helping protect the end.
I have a repair kit that I think is still around, with it you break off about 1 to 1.5" of a old tape to use for the splice and it punches the holes and sets the rivits and top off with some elec. tape, works good on broken tapes or putting a new repair end on.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

stumpy

Baileys sells "spencer tape nails"  When I placed my last order, I bought a couple.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

fraggle rock

I have used spencer bucking tapes for about twenty years. Often when a tape would break I would splice a piece of old tape into the break and then reinforce it with black electrical tape. Accuracy would stay the same.

captain_crunch

When I worked as a contract cutter a SPLICED tape was grounds for termination of employment just was not tolerated and when log buyer was checking up he would ask to look at your tape. on FS job a 6" error would cost 12" of log that was not there and on a 2 million ft sale this was a dollar or two
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!