iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Mushroom I.D. thread

Started by Ljohnsaw, June 17, 2018, 12:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Last year I put some drains around my footings and back filled with some dirt from my site.  I guess disturbing the dirt woke up or mixed in some spores.  Now I have these growing - I'm assuming these are two different fungi.  Interesting and sort of weird.  They are mostly growing on the east side of the walls (protected from the hot afternoon sun).

These are just 2 to 3" across (each) and pretty rubbery.

The little cone is standing up and is about 4" tall.  The other bend over and is 5 or 6" (cone part)

Edible?  :-\  Worth their weight in gold? :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bluthum

First pic looks to me like some type of cup fungus, maybe a Veined Cup. I wouldn't eat it with out verification from a local familiar with it. There are a lot of cup fungi, some are poisonous raw etc. I've never eaten any of them personally.

The second pic appears to be Black Morels, I'm assuming the larger one is somewhat desiccated?  If they are black morels it is my very most favorite 'room, possibly most favorite food period. Again find some one local to  verify that is what it is.  Or box them up and ship them to me and I'll see they are safely disposed of.

Morels do go for quite a bit of money per #.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

BradMarks

I would say morel for sure on the second pic.  How lucky is that!, didn't even have to go shroom hunting.  Morels are highly prized here and coming out at higher elevations now (4000'+).  They dry really well, then freeze, for year round use.

bluthum

Yeah, I would encourage the OP to forage around his immediate area now. In my range you will almost never, ever see rogue out of season morels no matter the disturbance or weather weirdness. They are either out or they are not, a very interesting delicacy about which some people become nearly fanatical. Don't ask me how I know that.  

DPatton

The second photo appears to be Morchella Conica. They are not what I pick when hunting morels but according to the information I'm found they are considered to be in the family of true morel. I have encountered them many times but never harvest them as an edible morel.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!