iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking at a used mill

Started by Hoopty5.0, August 13, 2019, 11:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoopty5.0

Hi all,

I have found a LumberLite LL24 for sale.  From my research, they were made in the early to mid 2000s.  This one has a 6hp motor that kinda runs and I doubt is the original. The photos are difficult to make out overall condition, but it just kinda looks meh.  The engine doesn't bother me as I'd likely replace it.

Where would I start with an offer? I was thinking $1800-$2k, but wanted to get other opinions first.

Thanks!

btulloh

Why not start at 1100?  You can always head north. The funky motor is a good bargaining chip. 
HM126

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: btulloh on August 13, 2019, 12:06:09 PM
Why not start at 1100?  You can always head north. The funky motor is a good bargaining chip.
Good point. It's listed at $3k, which is nuts. I can have a brand new saw at my door for $500 cheaper. Need to send an email and talk them through it rather than lobbing an offer I suppose.

btulloh

Is it close enough to go look?  I'd check it over good. If you have to replace bearings,Belts, engine, and a bunch of other stuff you're back at a new price,not counting aggravation. Or maybe it comes with extras that add value. Good luck with your purchase either way. 
HM126

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: btulloh on August 13, 2019, 12:22:26 PM
Is it close enough to go look?  I'd check it over good. If you have to replace bearings,Belts, engine, and a bunch of other stuff you're back at a new price,not counting aggravation. Or maybe it comes with extras that add value. Good luck with your purchase either way.
It's on my way to Dallas, I'm driving up from Houston tomorrow. I did send a message a few minutes ago, so we will see how that goes. I'm half way expecting a "go pound sand" reply.

nativewolf

At that kind of pricing I would sort of advise to buy a new one from one of the sponsors that offer simple but good manual mills.  I don't like the sound of a funky non original motor, or lack of support.  
Liking Walnut

btulloh

What sort of work do want to do when you buy a mill?  You're looking at a mill that will do a little bit now and then but very limited production, limited size logs and very slow and very manual. That may be just what you're looking for. Or not. 

Nothing wrong with starting out small. Just make sure your expectations match your purchase. 
HM126

charles mann

i would be inclined to agree with buying a mill from 1 of the sponsors. in your price range, for what that LL24 can cut, plus service and customer support, woodmizer in kerbyville, tx would be the closest and i hate using the word, cheapest. but for quality, support and price, if i could finagle the few extra $$, i would go with the WM LT10. i will be heading that way to do a visit with them soon, not sure if it'll this break, or on my next break in 3 wks and talk about the lt15 wide. going off the other thread about building off the linn lumber kit, you would be lil under the cost of the of the lt10 after gathering the metal for the carriage and engine and chains/sprockets or pulleys/rope for the lifting mechanism, plus a tensioning system if the linn doesnt come with it. if yo ulook at it like i do when building, my time is free when it comes to my stuff, but if you factor your time and fabrication material that you may have to purchase bc you dont have it or wore/used it up, then it all adds up in the end. i thought i could build my mill for around $9-11,000 and im in it for around $13k as of now, and price still climbing bc of support tools/accessories i didnt have and needed, not wanted to make it easier, but truly needed. if you decided after going to dallas today/tomorrow that in its condition, possible maint to get it back to ship shape, you want to go talk to the wm guy, give me a shout and ill swing down south, pick you up and we can ride over there together, saving you some fuel money. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Dana Stanley

For a little over $3000.00 you can get a brand new HM126! (Woodland Mills) But If you can get that and tune it up, put a new engine on it all for a little over 2000.00! Why not.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Hoopty5.0

I have yet to get a reply, so I'd imagine that they aren't willing to consider my offer.

I will mainly be doing hobbyist milling for myself, so no great need. My intent is still to but the Linn Lumber kit and build one, just because I like to build/fabricate.  BUT if one pops up used for a good deal before I start, I may pounce. 

As always, thank you all for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Thank You Sponsors!