iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leave them to the Beavers ?

Started by grassfed, January 16, 2007, 09:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassfed

Last year beavers built a dam on a stream that runs through an NWI on my land. There are a bunch of Northern White Cedar in the floodded area that have just died (all the leaves are brown). The mill that is 10 miles down the road is paying between 300-380mbf for cedar. I use a forester and I have a management plan that called for us to do some harvesting in NWI (Before the beaver dam)durring the plan period. I am also in the vermont current use property tax reduction program.

My forester is supposed to come buy soon to mark some more trees and plan this years work with me, but I would like to know now if there is any reason BMP or wetland rule, law, guidline or whatever that says that I have to leave them to beavers. (they don't even like the cedars)
In other words
Can I harvest lumber off a fresh beaver pond?
Mike

sprucebunny

Your forester will know if it's a good idea.

I have a similar problem. I'd cut mine if I could get to them but there hasn't been enough snow for 2 years.

What is NWI ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ron Scott

I'd say, salvage the timber if you can. Access may be your main problem. Your forester should be able to give you proper advice and be familiar with any State requirements for working in stream or wetland ecosystems.

Depending upon the specific situation, size of flooding, soil type, etc. State permits may be required.

~Ron

grassfed

NWI stands for National Wetlands Inventory

The area I am interested in logging is listed on the NWI maps.

I believe that it is what is known as a Palustrine Forested Wetland and I think that they also call it a class 2 Wetland or perhaps it is called a category 2 Wetland. I am not sure about the terminology. Basically all of this means that the area has been noticed on aerial photographs and noted in the inventory as a wetland but is not some especially significant wetland. (Disclaimer I am confused and don't really know what I am talking about. ;))

QuoteI'd cut mine if I could get to them but there hasn't been enough snow for 2 years.
I have had the same problem for the same period of time. While I have been waiting the Beavers got busy.

QuoteI'd say, salvage the timber if you can.
  I think that is what is going to happen. I finished my main skid road and I cleared the snow off my landing yesterday with the Bombardier (my Forester had laid them out two years ago) . Last night it hit -20 and it stayed  below 0 all day. I took the skidder down there today and the skid road was good and hard.
Mike

Ron Scott

You seem to be up on things. I haven't run into too many familiar with the National Wetlands Inventory and giving it recognition in their land management planning. ;)
~Ron

pasbuild

First thing I would do is trap the beaver out of there and when that is done the dam would develop a leak and before ya know it the wetlands would be no more.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jim Spencer

What a shame.
Years ago the Beaver population was kept down by trapping but now they are destroying almost all the cedar swamps in Michigan.
During the 40's a Beaver Blanket(Large Pelt) would bring $90.
That would be about $1000 in todays money.
This kept their numbers down and the Cedar swamps really did well,  Today the dams are flooding the swamps and drowning the trees.

sprucebunny

I think it's sad, too. The cedar swamp was one of the reasons that I really liked my land and when I went back, all the trees were dying  :(

Last winter I called several trappers and asked them if they would trap there but since they are required to check thier traps every 24 hours and the access was tough, they all declined.
I hope to build a winter trail out there and I'll call the trappers again.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!