iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st timer Makita DCS510 16" 91vx chain question

Started by MakitaCS, November 17, 2008, 03:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakitaCS

I just got a Makita DCS 16" and the fella that had it had an Oregon 91vx 3/8 chain on it.

After checking out Oregon's website, it looks like that chain should be on a 41cc and under cs.

The Makita DCS510 is 49cc's from what I remember.

Does the 510 have too much torque for this chain?

It kicks ass. It cut through some oak. Not the fastest, but it did it quickly. The cutters are very small though.

Thanks bro's
CHEVYTOWN13

SawTroll

Information collector.

MakitaCS

10-4

I know I have to change the sprocket for that? Going to search.

Thanks man.
CHEVYTOWN13

MakitaCS

CHEVYTOWN13

ladylake

Bailys has a bar and chain combo on clearancefor $16.95    bcc 16 sj58   It's 325 x.058    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RSteiner

I don't think there is too much difference between the Dolmar and the Makita if your saw is fairly new.  I beleive Makita owns Dolmar.

I run the 3/8" pitch chain on my Dolmar PS5100 which is about 50cc's.  The saw handles that size chain very well and I like the larger driving links and cutter size, plus the two other saws I have run 3/8" pitch chain which makes things easier.

You can switch over to .325" pitch chain by replacing the drive sprocket and the guide bar.  You may want to wait unitl you need a new guide bar before you change.

Randy
Randy

ladylake

I'd go with a 325 setup on a 50cc saw if your cutting hardwood over 8". I switched my Husky Rancher 55 from 3/8 to 325 and it cut a LOT faster in hardwood with the 325 setup.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MakitaCS

Thank you.

I caved in and got the 5100-3/8 yesterday after all the reviews and learning about Dolmar-Makita.

I've decided to keep the 3/8 on the 510. I believe I'll be able to use the same bars/chains for both.
Someday I'd like to just clean up the bad casting in the ports if any and gasket match the ports.
I'm thinking dual exhausts too. I have seen a 7900 with duals and it looked bad ass.
I don't want to get too crazy with the mods but I'd like to have a small sleeper 510. I really enjoy
this little monster.

I have never tuned a 2 cycle before and I'm sure I'll toast the piston quick trying to figure out how.
But that's for another day.

Bailey's looks cool.

Thank you all.

CHEVYTOWN13

Thank You Sponsors!