iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

parasitic battery load on 2004 F250 Superduty

Started by Dan_Shade, December 21, 2009, 09:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bl73

had a old Ram Power Wagon do this about every 6 months, finally figured out after charging the battery a few times it was the negative connection, that old cummins had a way of rattling things loose.

olyman

and another one. alternators can short three different ways. that being said,disconnect the heavy charge wire, and charge the batts full up. if the batts dont drop after a day--internal short in alt--and yes, the alt will still charge correct,but a internal short of three diff kinds will drop a batt. and some shorts real quick..............

Jeff

I've had another issue, that could be a short, but have not found a cure. We thought we did, but it still doing it once in a while.   You can here the blinker flasher blinking after the blinkers are turned off.  The blinkers no longer blink, but the flasher continues to click.  Also, the horn blows a fuse usually within days of replacing it.  I'm scared to death of a short in the steering column.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Now that you mention it my horn has never worked long either. I generally use my finger so forgot all about the horn issue :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

stonebroke

Quote from: Jeff on March 14, 2010, 09:56:57 AM
I might add, this is a 1999 chevy with 330,000 miles and we have NEVER had to replace the battery. Its still the original. Unbelievable.

So are you going for the record?

Stonebroke

Jeff

Hilltop366

The electrical on 99 GM's and other years near there are real bad around here, we have lots of salt in the air all year and on the roads in the winter, might just take a few extra years to show up out your way.
The rust is so aggressive around here that if you don't spray something on a Kia gas filter it will rust out before it needs to be serviced.

On the battery thing I have seen batteries go dead over night and need a boost every morning until the top of the battery was wiped off then it worked fine for years after that.  It was dirty enough to draw a bit of current from + to the -.

johnjbc

QuoteI set a new one every day.

I might have you beat! My 94 Ram wouldn't start  when it was 5 years old. smiley_crying smiley_crying  So I went to Montgomery Ward's and bought 2 new batteries. Last fall I noticed that it took a couple extra cranks to start and I didn't want to get stranded in the woods hunting.  smiley_crying smiley_crying I unhooked one battery and it still started  :D but when I tried the other one it wouldn't start. ::) Last week I charged up the good one and will be replacing the one in my Case 580 that was bought in the early 90's. Looks like were having a contest.  smiley_horserider smiley_horserider
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

PineNut

I have had sudden battery failure. Stopped at a shop and when I came out, the battery was totally dead. Thought it was probably a connection but a volt meter on the battery showed zero. Best I could figure was an internal connection inside the battery broke.

Jeff

Truck has been setting a couple days now. I just went out and tried to start it and it fired off no problem. I guess the loose terminal was the culprit. Maybe it never was dead, just not making a connection.

tyb525

That has happened more than once with my truck, the side post terminals are prone to coming loose.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mr T

One thing you might want to check is alternator plug ins for corrosion Ford reccomends using dielectric grease on them Can short out & cause fires according to napa instuctions which i read after installing

Jeff

I went out to drive the truck today for the first time.  Put it in gear and it wouldnt move. No forward, no reverse nada. When I would move it back to park I would get a strange noise like something not going into gear. OH CRAP!

The clock was several hours off as well and the radio presets were all gone.   I eventually noticed that the push button switches for 4 wheel drive functions had a red neutral light on between 2 high and 4 high.  I pushed the 2 high button and the green light came on.   All I can figure is if you have a complete power loss, that even blanks the clock and radio, that the electric shift switch for 4wd goes into neutral as well. There is no button to put it in neutral, only a red neutral warning light I had never saw before today.

isawlogs

A good day is one you learn from , you , mon ami , had a good day !!!!!!!!!!!  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!