iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Young Tree ID

Started by emclNH, August 10, 2019, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emclNH

Hello everyone,

While walking a property I recently purchased, here in northern New Hampshire, I came across a tree that I do not recognize.  It is a cluster of hardwood stump sprouts with leaves that look a little like elm, but the fruit is completely different.

Here are some pictures,

If anyone can identify this, I would really appreciate the help, because I have tried, and can't quite figure it out.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Yes, hazelnut.  Corylus americana.  Note the doubly serrate leaves.  Birch family. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

emclNH

Thank you, everybody, for putting me on the track of hazelnut.  I thought it might be related to birch because of the leaves, but the fruit threw me off.  After a little more research, I think I can give it a positive ID of beaked hazelnut (Corylus cornuta).  The specimen I found is missing the red gland on the fruits that are found on American hazelnut, and beaked hazelnut also looks to be far more tolerant of cold, which is important since we have had temperatures in the -20s (even -30s) the past several winters.

Thanks for the help

DelawhereJoe

I was under the impression that it was just the Hazel tree, and the nut was the hazelnut.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ron Scott

Yes, to Beaked Hazelnut.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!