iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shooting Wolves

Started by chet, February 04, 2007, 08:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

It would take some really dumb coyotes or extremely fast bears to wipe out the coyote population, and coyotes aren't known for being dumb.

doctorb

Swamp-

Do you think a 15 pound fox is going to take on a 8-10 pound ground hog.  I think that foxes are smarter than that.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

red oaks lumber

this morning when i walked out to bring the cows into the feedlot it was darker than before the time change, behind the barn about 100 yrds the pasture has some brush piles. anyway i was maybe half way out when i noticed a wolf standing maybe 50 yrds from me, it looked like it was eating on something. i was able to walk a few feet further before spotting me, the wind was in my favor so i didn't get winded.i took a couple pics with my phone but they don't really show much . after about 5 minutes he moved more into the brush where i could only get a few glimpes here and there. later i drove in the area with my skidsteer(not wanting to leave my scent) it looked like a racoon? he was eating on.
i believe it was alone but, no for sure. given what i saw this morning i hatched a plan ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SwampDonkey

Red foxes definitely eat ground hogs and use their dens to by opening them up some more. I've even had foxes sneak up behind me in fields within 20 feet. Plus hop in the darn car at the grocery bags when a door is left open and me lugging an armload in the house. Brave, I guess. :D

I would toss pineapple rinds out on the lawn and the groundhogs would come eat them. One was real brave, just once, he wouldn't move off his patch of rinds, so I grabbed the water pale from under the downspout of the eaves trough, and gave him a change of mine. Foxes always like chicken and turkey carcasses to, so the odd ground hog taken for a meal by the fox isn't bad. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

goose63

Red oaks dose shoot shovel sut up have any thing to do with your plan? round here it dose
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

doctorb

I know foxes use and enlarge the groundhog dens.  I've seen that here at home.  I just pictured the fox as a fairly lightweight dainty hunter that prefers moles/voles/and small game.  Ill bet a groundhog, backed into his burro, can be fairly formidable.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sandsawmill14

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 09, 2015, 04:15:53 AM
I have bear and coyote both as well as moose, tracks of all 3 year around. The coyotes are fewer numbered at the moment because they were trapped this winter. But that will be temporary, as others will soon move in. The foxes are quite common around to, will see their tracks all winter along fence rows and field edges. Sometimes a fox den made in an old ground hog hole  in the back yard. I suppose ground hogs are good for something, food and dens.  ;D

swampdonkey  you EAT groundhog? :o Here i was thinkin i was the only one. my grandparents loved it so we had it regularly when i was growing up, but the coyotes moved in and they are hard to find now. >:(

my brother killed a 65 pound male coyote here about 2 deer seasons back. i will try to find a pic and see what you guys think if its coyote or cross with something
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

SwampDonkey

Our eastern coyotes are quite a bit bigger than a desert coyote you watched on Walt Disney. ;)

A ground hog is pretty dumb, and doesn't take much to kill one. I used to take them out by sitting near their den and with a palm sized stone at the ready. If I didn't get'm the dog would dig them out of their hole. They do a lot of chirping but they aren't very tough. The dog used to break their neck by shaking them like a rag. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

My Boo-Boo would kill them,He was not much bigger than a fox. First time he did it,I was shocked. He would hunt the stone walls for them and find one in the wall and start to bark steady. I would come and tear the wall apart. Woodchuck would make a run for it,but would not get far. He would flip them over real fast and bite thier neck. I have no idea where he learned that from. He was part golden and terrier. Terriers are a rodent dog. The SIL dog was bugging him one day and he flip that dog over onto it's back and jumped on the dog. That dog found out who the boss was. Scared me,because I thought he was going in for the kill.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

goose
i'm knodding my head  up and down ;D

beenthere

Maybe I don't get the 3rd S and what it stands for...  just sayin...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Like the gangster on a Warner Bros cartoon said, "shaddup shut'n up"
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

The doctor is right about the woodchunk getting trapped being a fighter. My Father use to  set up leg holes traps many years ago. Yes kids would go check the traps with a club or baseball bat to hit them on the nose if they was caught. We would do the hitting than go get my Father and he would get them out of the traps and reset the traps. They would come right at us when they was trapped.
But as I posted,I would move rocks off from the wall and they would just stay there. Once I picked up a flat rock and they it was just lying there. Most times they knew what happened and try to run off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terry f

Good one Beenthere, that third S seems to be the hardest for most people.

red oaks lumber

no its not hard but, here is really what the 3s's stand for when it comes to wolves
1)shoot
2) shoot
3)somemore
now if a person was to take pictures and post it on social media well, that has the possibility of getting a visit by said law inforcement :)
i can hear the chant now" gray wolves matter"  ;D
in all seriousness if your house gets robbed you call the cops, if you get raped you call the cops, if your idenity gets hacked you call the cops. i'm constantly battling wolves,lost animals,lost revenue,lost sleep, all i can do is nothing? nope, done doing nothing long time ago and i'm not bashful sayin that either. stand your ground law,in my view pertains to farmers also :)

goose63

Red oaks there is a lot of that 3s s s around here too
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!