iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A tree I saw in Arizona (many images)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, April 11, 2007, 01:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Is it possibly a dead tree without bark, and some type of parasitic plant growing from it?  Just a wild guess, but what it appears to me. Or an artificial plant stuck to the dead tree. ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Well, the original pictures don't look to me like Pine needles or juniper or cedar or cypress....

I think the Eucalyptus ID is on the money.

solodan

Quote from: Ianab on April 17, 2007, 06:44:06 PM

Eucalyptus is about 700 species of tree, some do have leaves like that.

I think we have 400 species of euc that were introduced here in California, I have seen plenty of different  species, but never have I seen any with leaves like that. We may have some here with leaves like that but I was unaware that it was Eucalyptus. :)

Tom

I'm not a Euc expert, just looking at pictures in the books and on the web.  Those look more like Lance-shaped dicotomus leaves to me.  They may have  been under stress or duress, which could affect the size, but they sure don't look like a needle.  I put a lot of stock in the suggestions of the felows from "down under" 'cause they saw them.

I'm not afraid to be wrong.  :D :D

Lanier_Lurker

:( :(

Ok, I've got to go back thru my pictures and see if I can find more of this tree.  I know I took several.

Stay tuned.

Lanier_Lurker

Ok, this thing is still bugging me.

Here are some more pictures.

Unfortunately, these are the best pictures I have of this tree.  I took them at night.  The resemblance of the foliage to rosemary is what catches my eye, but the needles/leaves are a bit longer than rosemary.  And the reddish color of the wood with absolutely no bark is a definite eyecatcher.

Perhaps some of our desert-dwelling members from the southwest can help identify this thing.

Sorry for the density and number of images, but I am trying to present sufficient detail to help with the identification.

SwampDonkey

One thing for sure, it's probably dead with no bark.  ;D

Did the tree (wood) have any odor?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lanier_Lurker

While I cannot be certain, I do not believe the tree was dead.

I seem to recall that there were several of these trees planted on this apartment property.  Unfortunately, my stepson has moved away from there to Wisconsin - so I cannot send him out to take more pictures.

Again, the foliage was very much like that on a rosemary bush - although not as dense and the leaves/needles were a little longer than rosemary.

A very odd looking tree indeed.  These pictures do not do justice to the red color of the wood.

SwampDonkey

I guess what looks like no bark, must actually be really thin smooth bark. Sure looks like some whicked spiral grain action happening to. That could indicate really young or really old. If we assume it is a hardwood species, this habit with right hand spiral occurs in young trees and often increases in angle from pith to cambium. I make that statement based on dated information in the Wood Tech text. That still doesn't get us closer to it's identity, or does it? There looks like a wound similar to what might be found in a resinous hardwood such as Eucalyptus.

Southern blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus is of interest here I think because of growth habits and traits.

"The bark shreds often, peeling in large strips......The broad juvenile leaves are borne in opposite pairs on square stems. They are about 6 to 15 cm long and covered with a blue-grey, waxy bloom, which is the origin of the common name "blue gum". The mature leaves are narrow, sickle-shaped and dark shining green. They are arranged alternately on rounded stems and range from 15 to 35 cm in length. " [Wikipedia]

Now, I am not saying that this is southern blue gum. But, from images I've seen of the trunk, right spiral grain, bark shedding and narrow mature leaves I can only conclude it to be some species of Eucalyptus. I have recently found out that this species , southern blue gum, is cultivated in California, Arizona, and Hawaii and is the most extensively planted eucalyptus species in the world. I have since found out there are other Eucalyptus species planted in Arizona and other states not mentioned. Good chance it's Eucalyptus.

Eucalyptus nicholii , willow peppermint, is in the ball park, but not definitive.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I also believe that it is probably a Eucalypt.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Well Danny, I know that you know that I dont know that you do not know what it is.. There I got one more in there .  ;D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WildDog

Not the variety of Redgum I have on my place guys, mine have a broader leaf, can't say what it is, though I know I've seen this folliage before, with narrow foliage like that my guess would be from an arid region, the bark or lack of it is similar to an Angophra (this is a fire retardant Euc due to minimal bark) the only narrow leaf Eucalyptus I know of is E. Viminalis known as willow gum. We have so many varieties of Euc's down here it is frustrating trying to identify them. Even Redgums have a lot of varieties, to name a couple Blakley's and River Redgums. I have River Reds on my property and like Treecylers said it's hard, great firewood and fence posts. I recently made a rustic bookshelf from some fence posts that were put in 80yrs ago by my mates grandfather. We do have some acacias that have a narrow leaf.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Yeah I investigated red gum and LL's tree isn't a red gum, usually it's on river bank and I "assume" planted for erosion control in sensitive areas. While looking at where these trees come from, many come from little pockets spread out in south eastern Australia.

WDH

Quote from: isawlogs on November 19, 2008, 12:52:06 AM

Well Danny, I know that you know that I dont know that you do not know what it is.. There I got one more in there .  ;D

Wow, Marcel, I didn't know that ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treecyclers

Actually, those photos are of a red gum eucalyptus.
THey grow strangely in some sections of AZ, due to climate and soil minerals that are prevalent here.
It's pretty wood, but it's a DanG pain to deal with for a couple reasons.
First, it doesn't dry worth a DanG. It suffers cellular collapse and obnoxious amounts of checking and twist no matter how I slice it. I have to cut 7/4 to 8/4 to get decent 4/4 stock from it, as anything less than 1.75" thick ends up looking like bacon when it dries out.
The wood is so red, and it tends to be pretty juicy when cutting it fresh, I keep one set of clothes strictly for cutting eucs.
I have seen them up to 4' diameter in Phoenix, and well over 8' diameter in SO CAL, near Camp Pendleton.
They're a transplant from Australia, as I think was mentioned earlier.
They're really dangerous in the storms that we get in the Phoenix area, as they tend to be pretty brittle with very weak branch unions, especially as they get large - like 60' and taller.
Many people are taking them out of their yards for exactly that reason too, as they were really popular 25-35 years ago, making them pretty mature trees today.
They grow really fast, consume lots of water, and the bark is really thick - up to 3" thick in some cases.
As firewood, it burns really hot and really long, but it's really stinky too, due to the oils in it.
The leaves are exactly what I see very frequently, especially when there's an acacia within a couple hundred feet of a euc.
Don't know why, but when I see euc leaves like that, I look for the acacia nearby. I like acacia a LOT more than euc, and it smells better too!
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

SwampDonkey

I believe you about the leaves and probably you have the species to. From looking at the way these things grow and how the leaves can change shape from juvenile to mature it's certainly possible. As you say, add in Arizona climate and there is a whole new twist to the way they grow and develop. I have also read some messages on horticultural forums complaining about how these trees shed branches, bark and what not making a mess for those that like immaculate lawns. ;)

treecyclers

A few things I have learned in dealing with AZ trees over the past few years, and having worked in construction a few beyond that:
1) The rules that work elsewhere don't work in AZ.
2) Murphy has a sick sense of humor in AZ
3) Homeowner's Income is typically directly proportionate to the complexity of the job
4) Homeowner income is also directly proportionate to the volume of nitpicking
5) Anyone trying to save a few bucks on a removal by hiring illegals with a pickup truck will inherently spend more to hire someone else to fix their mistakes and the damage they create.
6) Eucalyptus doesn't like windstorms.
7) The ambient temperature directly influences the cost of a job
8) One's ability to speak english is proportionate to the price of a job
9) Irrigation systems are easy to break, difficult to repair
10) A $4 pack of lawn flags is well worth the investment to save a $750 irrigation repair job
11) Waterproof sunscreen isn't. 12 hour sunscreen works for about 6.
12) Carbide tipped chains are well worth the cost, when dealing with mesquite and ironwood
13) The gravel we love in our xeriscape yards grows into the trees.
14) Chainsaws don't like rocks, especially the ones inside the trees.
15) Check inside the trunks of rotted trees for foreign objects. But, smoke a fat cigar while doing it.
16) Bees love hollow tree trunks.
17) People love stuffing things into rotted trees. Especially concrete, cinder blocks, bricks, and used diapers.
18) Any job that's difficult will inevitably result in the homeowner's relative being a lawyer.
19) Stupid people are everywhere. 1 in 5 people are idiots. Check your 4 favorite friends. If they're not, it's you.
20) A 5 man crew times 2 beers per person equals 2 cases.
21) Don't let the hispanics buy the beer. They come back with rotgut nasty el cheapo buzzard urine that's unfit for normal human consumption.
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Thank You Sponsors!