iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A tree "OLOGIST is called a ???

Started by sam_d_allen, October 31, 2004, 07:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam_d_allen

I am looking to find out the correct title for a person who studies trees.  I have come across dendrologist (a person who studies the history of trees) and botanist (plants) but for some reason I think there is another specific study that I have overlooking here.   Any ideas?

Texas Ranger

Dendrology is the study of trees, history has nothing to do with it, it is the study by species, macro and micro characteristics, ID.  So, dendrologist would be appropriate.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

Dendrochronology is the study of the age of a tree by ring count, so might be considered history.  Age indian ruins by such efforts.

Ron Scott

Yes, Dendrology is the study of trees and their identifying characteristics.
~Ron

Bro. Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D An oldie, but goodie Bro.Noble.

Signed...

I. M. Treed

;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

"I think they do root canals too"

When I was a teenager, our family dentist had first earned a Bachelor of Science degree in forest management.  He then decided to become a dentist instead.

So, that's one forester who really did (ahem) branch out into doing root canals.

Texas Ranger

Took care of some of the "bad mouthing" of forestry, I suppose. ::)

Phorester

Yep, sunk his teeth into it and went out on a limb for us.

Stephen_Wiley

I knew an arborist who also became a dentist.

Left Oregon for Gerogia about seven years ago. Wonder how many Georgians have had their teeth cabled.  :D

Speaking of 'Root Canal' with trees you tunnel under rather than down thru.  Wonder how many have had horizontal drilling.  :D

Wonder if he spurless climbs onto their heads. :D

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

populus

I'm one of these tree 'ologists, and I sure don't call myself a dendrologist.

Yes, 'dendrology' means the study of trees, but today that is a term used in the US, Canada, England to mean " a course in tree identification."

For some reason, dendrology has pretty much lost its original meaning. I don't know of any forest scientist who calls him/her self a 'dendrologist'.  I usually call myself a 'tree physiologist' but that always gets a blank look in response. Took me a while to realize that most people don't know trees have physiology.

I'm all in favor of returning to the use of the word 'dendrologist' for a tree biologist.

SwampDonkey

They call'm dendrologist up here. A tree physiologist studies the life processes of a tree like photosynthesis and respiration. A dendrologist studies a tree's development and structure as well as the silvics of trees. They were two different branches of study at my forestry school.

;D

populus

Yes, dendrology is certainly alive and well as a course of study at the undergraduate level. I taught dendrology for 20 years. But dendrology as an area of academic research ended in the middle of the 20th century. Elbert Little was the last US Dendrologist. I think he retired in the 70s.

SwampDonkey

populus

Prof. Powell is indeed a distinguished forest scientist, but his academic appointment at UNB was as an ecologist and developmental biologist'. I quick perusal of the UNB faculty list, or of any forestry program of which I know, lists not a single faculty member as a 'dendrologist'. All of us who teach the subject are ecologists, developmental biologists, physiologists, geneticists etc.

I whish it weren't so. I like to think of myself as a dendrologist, but that was not my academic appointment. As science becomes increasingly compartmentalized, some historic disciplines have disappeared.

Anyway, not to run this topic into the ground,  the answer to the original question is that a tree 'ologist is called many things, but dendrologist is rarely one of them.

Texas Ranger

Sooo, students no longer take dendrology?

populus

No, I said clearly that dendrology is a course still required at forestry school. It just is no longer a recognized area of academic study. It has been supplanted by physiology, genetics, ecology, etc. As a result, while there are courses called dendrology, academic scientists are not referred to as dendrologists in most countries (they still are in India).

SwampDonkey

Mark M

We don't have any trees so even if you did call 'em nobody would come. :(

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Thank You Sponsors!