iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powder Post Beetles in Iowa?

Started by Curlywoods, January 31, 2005, 08:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curlywoods

Have any of you from Iowa ever seen or heard of Powder Post Beetles in lumber up there?  I was told that there are no Powder Post beetles in Iowa lumber ever.  I just need to know if any of you have ever seen lumber that had them in it?
Thanks.
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

HORSELOGGER

I find that hard to believe, as if the wind is from the east, I can almost spit to Iowa from here.I get them in both hickory and white oak logs.Their prefered eating is supposed to be white ash, but they never bother me in that species, but some of my white oak has em bad.They dont make it past the kiln tho...sumthin about that 145 degrees dont suit em ;)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Kirk_Allen

Mike, I sent you several emails on the PPB issue.  One of the doucments is from the great state of Iowa.  It was published by the University of Iowa and clearly states at the bottom of the page that the informatoin presented is for Iowa only. 

So, if someone is telling you Iowa doesnt have PPB they would be LYING ;D

Dan_Shade

What do you guys do to get rid of them critters?  I had a mess of pine get them in it, i resolved I'd just use it for shelving...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Curlywoods

Thanks for the links Kirk.  They are really appreciated!
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Thank You Sponsors!