iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bearing problems

Started by sabre_tooth, February 07, 2005, 07:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabre_tooth

hi everyone sawed about 5000 feet of cedar noticed noise got to checking it out and discovered that set screws came loose and shaft had  been turning in bearing.should i use the bearing with excentric locking collars or the type with two allan scrwes to hold the shaft.should i have loctite the screws so they would not loose up.any advice would be helpful .thanks all

Brian_Rhoad

If you use the set screw type you can drill a shallow hole (1/8" - 1/4" deep) where the set screw goes on the shaft. I had the same problem on my mill until I drilled the shaft. The bearings haven't come loose since. I tried locking /eccentric collars but they don't stay tight because of the shaft flexing.

MemphisLogger

sabre_tooth,

That's happened to me before with Dodge bearings. I ground a little flat spot on the shaft for the allen screws to set in and give 'em a little torque everytime I grease the bearings.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

D._Frederick

S-T,

Have you determined what is causing the set screws to work loose? If the shaft has a axial force being applied to it that the bearing is trying to prevent  the shaft from sliding back and forth in the bearing,  you should have a split collar on the shaft tight against the bearing. This will prevent the set-screw from woking loose.

Swede

I had that problem too. >:( Them set screws "EAT" shafts! >:(

Changed the bearings to .INA GSH 40 RBR
It´s a radial insert ball bearing with seals on both sides and located on the shaft by a adaptor sleeve and nut. Have not saw much since but think it the best way, the sleeve always hold the shaft in center of the bearing and nothing can eat into it.

http://www.directindustry.com/ or www.ina.com
go to " radial insert ball bearings"

When buying bearings, always look for rotation speed! Cheap bearings can be made for Max. 500 rpm.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Swede

Forgot........

:o NEVER force the nut too hard! The conic sleeve makes the inner ring too whide.

I did once but it´s years ago. It didn´t help much the bearing was marked C5.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!