iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

green oak glazing

Started by cizzler, January 25, 2006, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cizzler

hello there, newbie here. can anyone give me any info on glazing green oak structures.that is fixing the windows, glass panels and doors to the frame.  over here in the uk i have heard of direct glazing but i'm not too sure what this entails. any advice at all would be most appreciated.
dave fry

Jim_Rogers

Can you define glazing for us, as you understand it......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jph

Welcome Cizzler, I can't help regarding your question re glazing but I can warn you that half of what we say over here needs to be translated before they understand it over there and vice versa. I still havn't worked out what Grits are.  ??? ???  Don't forget to fill out you profile and plant your tree on the map so we can see exactly where you are.

srjones

Hi cizzler,

I'm guessing that you're describing some sort of finishing process, right?

JPH, grits are the same stuff used to make polenta which you might have heard of.  However, prepared as a breakfast food rather than a lunch or dinner food (like polenta would probably be).

Someone once said "England and America are two countries separated by a common language."   :D :D :D  How true, how true.
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

cizzler

when i say glazing i mean fixing the glass to the frame. how should the windows and doors be fixed to the frame so that they are'nt affected by movements in the frame as it drys. are there any previous posts that cover this topic.
dave fry

cizzler

ooh hello jim, i did'nt notice it was you.
dave fry

srjones

Oh...THAT glazing.  (window glazing)... :)
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Jim_Rogers

I kind of figured it might be window glazing but you never know.....
especially when it's the other English language ;D

I personally don't know of any threads here about that....
And I don't have any personal experience with doing that.....
But I guess I should ask: "why would you want to do it with green wood anyway?"
Shouldn't it be done with dry wood just to eliminate the movement problem all together?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don P

Most frames now are being wrapped in SIPS that are attached to the frame, the window openings are cut out of those large panels. The fenestrations  ;D are mounted to the sip not to the timberframe. The long screws connecting the sip to the frame can take some movement without moving the panels around. Are you planning a different kind of wall ?

cizzler

well if thats the way i have to do it i will go that way. only here, house extensions in oak with full glass walls are very popular and they are not using sips. i am told they are using 10 year seasoned oak and routing a rebate in the actual oak to accept the glass and then nailing the beading to the frame to keep it in place. but that is as much as i have heard. i don't actually know how to go about it. fenestrations.....................................thats a fanatstic word i shall write it down and use at a cromulate moment.
dave fry

Don P

I've done as you've said on site built fixed glass frames but with dimensional stock never in a timber. We either bedded the glass on either face in a bead of silicone or a strip of polybutyl and set the glass on rubber pressure blocks. That wouldn't take much twisting to either leak or break though.

I've been assembling a laminated oak framed, all glass sunroom. The roof and half the sidewall are direct set glass. The oak has an aluminum extrusion screwed to it, there is an epdm gasket in a track in the aluminum. The glass is set on the gasket and another gasketed aluminum pressure bar covers the glass and is screwed  to the inner extrusion. Trim covers the metal. It looks like it could withstand a fair amount of movement and maintain seal. I've seen the parts sold by the piece somewhere before.

cizzler

many thanks don p. that sounds like exactly what i need. could you give me any info on where to get the aluminium strips.
dave fry

Don P

The fog of oldtimer's lifted long enough for the company name to surface. Resource Conservation Technology was one source. I remember another but its still lost in the recesses  :).

This is a  link to an acrobat (pdf) flyer of details;

http://www.conservationtechnology.com/downloads/TimberGlazingSections.pdf

The company is in Baltimore, Maryland. Their phone is on the bottom of each page.
Their website is a bit tough to navigate but it might be worth poking around in their other gasket files also;
http://www.conservationtechnology.com/

I'm hoping with the drawings you can locate something closer. Much of that company's offerings come from Europe. Maybe try looking up sunrooms or solariums  ???

iain

Cizzler do you want to set the units into a groove in the beams, or into a rebate?

if rebate then self adhesive neoprene gaskiting works well, both in the rebate and on the capping strip, there is some info some where about it, on a uk gov,  site i'll have a look for it, but dont hold your breath on me finding it again

whwere are you in the uk?

iain

Thank You Sponsors!