iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

450 timberjack skidder with Clark transmission problems.

Started by delimberboy, July 24, 2017, 09:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delimberboy

I have a 450 timberjack grapple skidder with a clark transmission the other day the operator was backing into a pile then the skidder just came to a rolling stop and we changed the tranny pump and its still doing the same thing. When you rev it up full throttle the tranny pressure comes up but isn't quite where it should be its down a little bit and when you have it full throttle in neutral it sounds like the motor is under a really heavy load and its dying out a little and it pours the black smoke out of it almost like its trying to send pressure through one of the tranny lines and its blocked and cant get through. The skidder wont move at all or even go in a gear and when we took the pump off we did see some brass shavings in the oil. Any help on this would be well appreciated. Thanks

Spartan

What year TJ and what engine?

I typed a bunch of stuff earlier, but, I may have jumped the gun.

Does the pump turn?  Do you have hydraulic functions on the rest of the machine.  Have you checked the filter?

My gut tells me something went wrong in the converter housing area, but maybe not.

mike_belben

Check your shift linkages for worn heims and pins.  Sounds half shifted and hung up in two ratios at one time to me.

An IR temp gun is an important hydraulic troubleshooting tool.  Any time you have fluid going over a stuck open relief valve, leaking past motor gears and out a case drain or past a spool, etc.. There will be a temp rise.  The gun is your only chance to pick up on that clue.

We had an old lull with a funky sticking shift issue years ago.  Dropping the mast quickly then halting mid drop while engaging the shifter and throttle all at the same time was what would get it to jump into gear.  Probably a case of worn internal spools and case leakage that left internal pressures too low to force a valve against its spring and complete the "shift" thus directing flow to the correct clutch pack.
Praise The Lord

kiko

It is a clark 3200 transmission ,  that transmission has no brass in it.   The torque converter and the tramsmission pump are both aluminum making silver flakes and black oil. Gold color flakes usually indicate a transmission internal clutch failure.   It is likely the reverse / second clutch has failed and the clutch and reaction plates have broken and are wedged against each other or warped , mechanically locking the reverse clutch.   The engine load smoke is likely because it is tring to go both ways on the same shaft and has locked the transmission.   Good luck, it ain't gonna be cheap. 

Spartan

Thank You Sponsors!