iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Super Bowl

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 06, 2011, 07:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Why do they call them "Batter Boards?"
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tom

maybe 'cause the keep the batter in the hole. Naw...... they're to mark where the batter goes.

DanG

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 07, 2011, 01:11:37 PM
Why do they call them "Batter Boards?"

I went over to Answers.com and looked it up.  They don't know either, and are asking the question themselves. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

When I tended mason in High School, A batter board was the board, sometimes a hand held board with a handle in the middle of the under side, that the mason used as a work service where he put his "batter" or mortar.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

iffy

The best renditions of the national anthem always seem to me to be by a youngster with a clear voice. They sing it as it was written, no "personalizing", and everybody likes a youngster.

AvT

I think another definition of batter is "outward wall slope"  Batter boards were probably named so because they are placed to mark a building before excavation commences.  They are set a ways away from the building to allow for some sloping of the excavation wall and not be disturbed.  I am making some assumptions here
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Raider Bill

Quote from: AvT on February 07, 2011, 03:05:29 PM
I think another definition of batter is "outward wall slope"  Batter boards were probably named so because they are placed to mark a building before excavation commences.  They are set a ways away from the building to allow for some sloping of the excavation wall and not be disturbed.  I am making some assumptions here

Nope that's just what they are corners for your string lines. Just wondered where the name came from.
Quote from: Jeff on February 07, 2011, 01:50:35 PM
When I tended mason in High School, A batter board was the board, sometimes a hand held board with a handle in the middle of the under side, that the mason used as a work service where he put his "batter" or mortar.

Jeff I call that a Mud Hawk.

Magicman

I call that a mortar board, but then again, that what they call that funny looking hat that graduates wear.  I think the batter board was used elsewhere on me while I was in school.   :-\

I called a longtime home builder and he didn't know either.  Just that it was called a batter board.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: iffy on February 07, 2011, 02:44:00 PM
The best renditions of the national anthem always seem to me to be by a youngster with a clear voice. They sing it as it was written, no "personalizing", and everybody likes a youngster.

This Super Bowl National Anthem Issue has been bothering me all day so I took a look and here's what I found.
Look under Hay Traders last posts for Amazing Grace. Same Little Lady!

CRANK IT UP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrCvMTGs2u8

AvT

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 07, 2011, 03:34:18 PM
Nope that's just what they are corners for your string lines. Just wondered where the name came from.

Well it made sense to me that they would be called batter boards because they are placed in such a way to allow for batter (or inclination) of the excavation wall
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

ljmathias

Nah, I didn't work in the dark last night, just till dark, at which point I was so tired, dinner and bed was all that I could handle on the agenda... course, I get up pretty early, also....

Didn't even think about where "batter boards" came from, just use them to build houses... can't think of any other use for string holders like that, but in fact, can't think of any easier way to make sure your footings and foundation are square and flat- and that means a lot once you start putting up walls that can then be plumb and everyone's happy!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Banjo picker

A square + B square = C square   (that will make for square...use that math and on flat ground you can square 4 corners on 4 2x2's)   ...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LOGDOG

Raider Bill ... that little girl is AWESOME!!!!!!! What a doll. On top of that voice are those facial expressions. Someone needs to sign that little girl.

mrcaptainbob

I wished the Anthem was played at this game. The words used this time, along with whatever 'melody' that was, must be from something else. To open the game with that {entertainment} just seemed inappropriate as a replacement.

Tom

There has been a strong contingent that has wanted America the Beautiful as our national anthem for years.   It keeps getting slipped in there to train us.  That's how these agendas are accomplished.

The people who didn't like the way the National Anthem was sung, still have America the Beautiful ringing in their ears.  It works you know.  You got trained to accept higher gas prices.  How many people now think that $2 a gallon is a bargain?

I'm not talking conspiracy here, just fact.

Bill Gaiche

Maybe the little girls video should be used as an example especially in this kind of setting.. If you cant do as good or better than her then forget it. The national anthem is special and should be sang as intended no matter who you are. bg

Ironwood

That little girl should have sang the opening. NO DOUBT. I had to go over to my buddies house to watch the game (he went somewhere else for a SB party, so just me and my 8 year old son), we gave up TV when everything went digital. We do have a DVD player, the kids do watch some Thomas the Tank, but the good news is they get bored of it and walk away after they have seen the same one so much. :D ;)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

CLL

Even though I'm a diehard Steeler's fan, the clip on Green Bays coach made it a lot more tolerable. Love the little man that does well. Congrats all you cheeseheads, even if we did give it to you.   :D
Too much work-not enough pay.

Ironwood

I am a fan by proximity, and when this close to the Burgh the giant SUCKING noise pulls you in. It is so funny, I have seen 80+ year old ladies in bubushka's talking of their excitement on seeing spring training at St. Vincent (4 miles from me). AND guys randomly out on the street in front of their houses waving their "terrible towels" just for the #$%^ of it at passing traffic hoping someone will honk. It permeates the local society.

Glad it was Greenbay, their fans are equally fanatical, and personally, I thought they deserved it. I dont mind having the Stillers lose to them.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

Here is a short video of some background info on the Packers team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bVRiTMm7z0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

That was super cool....I have watched  the Packers ever since Farve went there...That clip is an even better reason to like them....I usually don't watch the vidio clips, but that one was worth the time...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LAZERDAN

What she did'nt tell you that if you have season tickets you had to cough up 8000.00 for 4 seats or loose you tickets                                   and another 8% for luxury boxes,   love the packers   But it ain't a cheap date.             Lazerdan     

Banjo picker

As my mechanic told me once.....Being Cheesey aint easy 8) ;) :D ;D....Tim.....those last three were in honor of Chris....

Thank You Sponsors!