iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firearms Deer Season is here!!!

Started by ADAMINMO, November 14, 2008, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Well, your stomping grounds at least.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Jeff
Did you try to shoot the coyote with the safety on?  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on November 17, 2008, 04:30:50 PM
Jeff
Did you try to shoot the coyote with the safety on?  ::) ::)

CLICK

Probably a good thing as I have found out since I pulled the trigger that Coyote hunting is now suspended during deer firearm season for fear of somebody shooting the pet wolfs.  :-\

Corley5

Varmits on your own property that are causing or may cause harm to your property can be shot at any time of the day, week, month and year.  I'm sure that coyote was about to cause some harm  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ADAMINMO

Here is the deer me and my father-in-law got yesterday evening.   8) Mine is a 7 point buck and his is the doe.

here is a pic of the antlers. Not real big but antler soup isn't that great anyway! :D

VT_Forestry

Got this guy early Saturday morning, just after daylight.  8-pt somewhere around 13-14" spread and 140-150lbs.  It was blowing rain sideways, so I was really surprised to see anything moving around at all.  This is the third year in a row that I've shot a nice buck out of this stand, so hopefully the luck will continue  :)  I'm heading back home all next week for Thanksgiving break, I plan on being out in the woods everyday

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Warbird

Nice catch, Adam.  Mmmm Mmmm.  That'll make for some yummy venison stew.

Do you do any trapping around there?  Last night at a church gathering, one of my buddies told me his brother caught a wolf in his trap line.  This is perfectly legal up here.  They are very excited and think they can trap 2 or 3 more this winter.  A good tanned wolf pelt will bring around $700.  They are interested in selling what they catch but I'd be interested in getting a pelt so my wife could make me a wolf skin hat and mittens/gloves.

ADAMINMO

Nice buck there VT_Forestry. The back ground is awesome in the picture also. Beautiful colors and contrast there.

Warbird , I don't do any trapping but there are some people around who do. They mostly trap beavers and other fur bearers. Not really much to trap around here. I did trap some skunks one year.Don't want to do that again.

P.S. I will be having fried back strap and taters and biscuits and gravy to go with it.

VT_Forestry

Thanks ADAMINMO, that's on my parents property in Rockbridge County, VA.  We have around 165 acres or so, had it all my life so I've been very blessed with a beautiful area to spend time in  :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Norm

Nice deer guys, way to go!

I've been chisel plowing the last couple of days and have seen tons of deer. Between that and the great pictures here I'm really getting antsy to hunt myself.

CLL

Adaminmo, looks like he has good mass just needs more points. :D Passed on a  8 and 9 point the last couple of days, still looking for the 11 pointer. Since I have till next  tuesday, in no hurry. Don't want to shot one I don't want as I have about 90 days to bow hunt yet. Probably will shoot a doe or two, as I can donate them to the Harvest for the Needy.
Too much work-not enough pay.

ADAMINMO

It is what I call a managment buck. Get out the small cull buck so the others can get bigger. I can still harvest 2 bucks with my archery tags. That is how I want to kill a "Big Buck" this year. We have a few 8's and a big 10 point roaming the farm still but they are more nocturnal right now due to the moon phase. This weekend should be excellent and muzzle loader season will be awesome I think.

beenthere

Adam
Did you get the age of that buck?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADAMINMO

I beleive he is a 3-4 year old. This is the 3rd year I have seen him up close. 2 years ago he was a 6 point.He had the same rack last year is why he is hanging this year. Thought that maybe last year it was broke or something but it wasn't.

Samuel

I finally get to go hunting (with 2 weeks remaining in the season) this weekend with Dad and his buddy from back east so I fully expect to have some pics to post next week.  I will try not to have any blood showing...out of respect of course but with the hole that the 7mm mag leaves, it is sometimes difficult.  air_plane
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

CLL

Adaminmo, I agree with you, its good to take management bucks. There is a yearling buck on our place that has one horn almost a foot long and the other horn is just a button. Next year if he has the same problem he will be harvested.
Too much work-not enough pay.

semologger

I got a nice 4 point and a spike with 3 points. I could of shot 15 times but i waited till the end week to finaly shot at these two. Same afternoon around 45 min apart. I thought it was going to be a bad afternoon to. I had this spot picked out all week so i moved my ladder stand to it. while i was putting it up i was hooking the chain around the tree at the top well it didnt get hooked before it started to move. We both went down its only around 12 feet tall but it hurt hitting the ground. I grabbed a tree on the way down to slow my fall. It looks like a beer clawed it. I hit the ground and rolled. Good thing i still had 3 inches of clothes still on :D. But it still hurt and still my shoulder is sore. I looked like a football going thru these 2 trees i landed between. All in all had a great season. The deer didnt seem to be moving very much though. I found them but nobody else at camp had any luck only one more deer was takin. I didnt take any pitcures of the ones i shot but got a few while i was watching them walk under me.

Jeff

I bagged these two deer tonight, and if they come within camera range again, I'll bag em again tomorrow. :)

Warbird

Jeff, I take it you didn't have your gun with you at the time?   smiley_headscratch

Jeff

Warbird

Sorry.  My confusion.  My brain hurt when you said if 'they' come within range again.  I was like, "if'n he already shot 'em, how the heck are they gonna get in range again!"  :D

Congrats!

Jeff

I was hunting all afternoon, I just wasn't killing today as I didn't feel like it was something I wanted to do. I wanted to take a picture. :)

wi woodcutter

Got my best buck so far!

22.5" wide back tines were 10" long

I will try to get pics on here 8)
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

semologger

thatkind of the way i felt jeff. I just felt like shooting them with my camera. I very seldom miss that way. ;) next year i will be getting a movie camera.

Thank You Sponsors!